Author Topic: ID this mango?  (Read 1116 times)

Steve in Los Osos

• USA, CA, Central Coast, USDA 10a/Sunset 17
    • View Profile
ID this mango?
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:46:01 PM »
Years back I got "Glenn" scion wood from a Florida member at Garden Web. I grafted it to Indian seedling rootstock and it sat and sat for over a year, finally sending out a tiny bud from the scion (all other grafted material perished). Today that tardy experiment is an espalier in my little greenhouse and this past September it produced a lot of excellent mangoes. Neighbors raved about them. Alas, we only had two since we were set to travel as they started to ripen  :-\

But I don't think they are Glenns. If Google is to be trusted, Glenns look sort of like the kind of mango you would find at a supermarket anywhere in the country (excluding the manila type). These mangoes--at least grown under my conditions--have rough grayish skins which blush just a little when ripe, funny shoulder bumps that tend not to ripen fully, and come to a near-point at the end. The flesh is completely fiber-free, luscious and redolent of coconut. The seed is amazingly thin and narrow for such a large fruit. In short, they are wonderful. The tree blooms like it's the last chance to reproduce the species.

Any guesses?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: ID this mango?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
Pictures?

Steve in Los Osos

• USA, CA, Central Coast, USDA 10a/Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
Hmm...how did I forget them?! Here are some (bad) ones--the only ones I have from this year and it's a smallish specimen.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »
Probably Glenn. Florida Mangos sometimes come out shaped a little differently in California. I’ve seen Glenn shaped that way in Florida before too even though it typically looks different.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
Yup, that’s exactly how my Glenn’s look. We often get seeds without embryos so the seed husk is very thin. Also in our dry weather, the Glenn’s also taste pretty good, not watered down. They have a very strong pleasant aroma when ripe.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk