Author Topic: Dr. Richard Campbell's orchard and some of his favorite mangos  (Read 28355 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Here are some interesting videos from Pete Kanaris:
Part 1 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCrZC_5slU
Part 2 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=blS3c9q_C6Q

I'm interested in some of the varieties Dr. Campbell is growing.

Simon

birngerd

• Central Florida, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Richard Campbell's orchard and some of his favorite mangos
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
Dr. Campbell talks about growing trees on a "super-dwarfing rootstock". I wonder when that'll be released to the public?

Also, I've talked to Mike Winterstein at the Miami germplasm about a dwarfing rootstock they're experimenting with called "creeper". I wonder if that's the one Dr. Campbell is using.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
Yup, don't know much about
Ceiles (something)
Sunburst
Diamond (maybe a different one)

That's awesome that he's growing orange sherbet

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
With Dr Campbells connections in Mango, I wouldn't be surprised if he has the actual Orange Sherbet but it wouldn't be too difficult to get a clone by growing some seeds.

Simon

SunshineState

• Tampa Bay 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
Yup, don't know much about
Ceiles (something)
Sunburst
Diamond (maybe a different one)

That's awesome that he's growing orange sherbet

Ceci Love mangoes were available a few years ago at Fairchilds Mango Festival

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 07:33:59 PM »
Nice video Simon of course he has the real OS Gary Zill is his mango partner......Californian are the only ones deprived of OS lol

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  Good to see what he is up to these days...

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 08:30:58 PM »
Haha, we should thank Pete Kanaris for making the great videos. We don't have Orange Sherbet but hopefully we will have an Orange Sherbet clone that is very similar in taste, thanks to good friends in Florida. Thanks to all the passionate mango enthusiasts around the world, we are able to share scions and seeds to further the hobby. Many of the newer mangos are mind blowing when compared to some of the old school varieties but some of the oldies but goodies like DOT will never be forgotten.

It's crazy to think that if Maurice Kong never went on vacation to Burma, we would probably not have PPK which means no Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet. Because of his love of mangos and the willingness to share, the world is gifted with the outstanding flavor profile of this group of mangos.

Simon

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 09:16:14 PM »
The g-32 seeds I planted came from Campbell from Fairchild Farm in Homestead

Here are pics

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »
"Diamond" is hot garbage. It was originally HW-14, then Richard named it "Fairchild Diamond". The name was then changed to Diamond. It's one of the worst mangos I've ever eaten and tastes like a vegetable.

Cecilove is 34-24, a Carrie seedling from the Zill project.

Richard used Piva quite a bit at Fairchild Farm and it did dwarf some trees.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:54:05 PM by Squam256 »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:03 PM »
"Diamond" is hot garbage. It was originally HW-14, then Richard named it "Fairchild Diamond". The name was then changed to Diamond. It's one of the worst mangos I've ever eaten and tastes like a vegetable.

Maybe instead of Diamond, they should call it Charcoal, lol. I've heard some people also say that Maha, Malika, Angie and a few others I can't remember having a vegetable taste.

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »

Maybe instead of Diamond, they should call it Charcoal, lol. I've heard some people also say that Maha, Malika, Angie and a few others I can't remember having a vegetable taste.

Simon

Mallika can taste like a carrot sometimes when it doesn't ripen right. Baptiste also tastes like a carrot.

Diamond is worse though. Sometimes southeast Asian mangos (ala NDM) can get that vegetable component to their flavor but this thing takes it to another level. It sucks.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »
That seems insane that someone with his level of expertise would consider one of the worst-tasting mangos one of his favorites!  Just goes to show how everone's taste/opinion is different.  Maybe he's eaten so many mangos that only he can appreciate the unique qualities of a garbage mango--"one of his children."  We know his love of mangos is boundless.  Beautiful tropical paradise where he lives.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:01:59 AM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
The Diamon is very consistent in its quality...as stated, consistently lousy.

To further that, many if his "curator choices" fall into that same category.   High praises for that...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:00:56 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
The Diamon is very consistent in its quality...as stated, consistently lousy.

To further that, many if his "curator choices" fall into that same category.   High praises for that...
I hate Neelam!
John

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 09:20:08 AM »
I don't have a problem with Neelam, its not the best but when I'm eating it in September its good.
That said, I am slowly top working it to Honey Kiss

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
My point was that I planted Neelam because it was one of Richard Campbell's Curator Choices, as was Angie.  I've long since chopped it down, and have considered getting rid of Angie as well.  What has saved Angie is that it's a reliable producer of beautiful fruit, it's fairly early, and it's easily managed.  But the flavor leaves a lot to be desired.
John

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »
My point was that I planted Neelam because it was one of Richard Campbell's Curator Choices, as was Angie.  I've long since chopped it down, and have considered getting rid of Angie as well.  What has saved Angie is that it's a reliable producer of beautiful fruit, it's fairly early, and it's easily managed.  But the flavor leaves a lot to be desired.

John, I 100% agree with your statement.
The choice listed are not the best tasting. I've been burned by their selection as well and as a result have been top working trees to correct it (looking at you Lancetilla).

I don't know who the list is geared towards but its definitely not the mango enthusiast (us).
I think its more for people who would never plant a tree because its "too hard" to grow, and are fine with randoms mangos during the season.
If these people are the intended audience then, I can't argue with most of these selections. (easy to grow, not crazy vigorous)
Although I'll curious to why Pickering is not on there.

I usually recommend Glenn to a person who only wants one tree.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 02:27:47 PM »
I bought some funky NDM this year. This was the first I ran into it but I am still pretty new to the mango game.

Simon

Mallika can taste like a carrot sometimes when it doesn't ripen right. Baptiste also tastes like a carrot.

Diamond is worse though. Sometimes southeast Asian mangos (ala NDM) can get that vegetable component to their flavor but this thing takes it to another level. It sucks.
-Josh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »
I like NDM although it's not my favorite and the flavor can be one dimensional. In good years, it does have a slight floral note and it does taste a bit like nectar to me. I used to suck honeysuckle.

Simon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
I appreciate the video links,  I find it very interesting what Campbell is attempting to do.   I do see a few discrepancies in his comments, maybe I heard him wrong,  he mentions that trees are planted at about 10 ft apart. and in one part of the video says he will increase the amount of trees per half acre,  later he says he might have to pull some out.   

It will be interesting to see if he is able to keep plants dwarfed solely by pushing production.   having so many trees so close together,  with little circulation seems like an invitation for fungal problems down the line.   and although I always support the idea of keeping the garden industrial chemical free, and love the idea of trying to be sustainable as possible,   its seems like this will be very labor intensive,  pruning 250 trees, and doing almost all other labor manually.   I do respect his experience, and learned a few things in these videos, also gave me some ideas of my own.

I am not too clear on the so called proprietary varieties he intends to patent,  are these  non-mentioned varieties or the ones he mentioned in the video?  could they be the new hybrids mentioned by Noris in another thread?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 09:46:12 PM »
Neelam fruits are highly variable. I have had some very good, extra sweet ones from my tree + Neelam is late when others are not around. Last year into September. At least on my tree...some years lots of antracnose but might be due to poor air circulation in that spot. This year no anthacnose

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 09:33:54 AM »
Glad I read this thread as I got a stick of Diamond recently.

Anyone have any info on others I got - Zinc and Cushman?   Worth grafting?  Already grafted Zill varieties but the 3 other varieties are still in the fridge.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 11:17:46 AM »
Cool vids, thanks for the links.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
Glad I read this thread as I got a stick of Diamond recently.

Anyone have any info on others I got - Zinc and Cushman?   Worth grafting?  Already grafted Zill varieties but the 3 other varieties are still in the fridge.

Yeah, best to not waste your space with the Diamond.

Cushman is an excellent tasting mango.  Tree is somewhat scraggily with some possible scab and other health issues when grown in our area.

ZINC is a Zill variety,  stands for Zill Indo Chinese.  It originated as a chance seedling.  Excellent top notch variety.  Tree is fairly vigorous and spreading and the fruit here has some ripening and splitting issues.  It has two ripening times with the late "crop" usually being better.  Eaten not fully ripe and it is tart and chalky but eaten properly ripened and its a top notch fruit, like its offspring...it is the parent of Sweet Tart, Kathy and Venus.
- Rob