Author Topic: Suriname cherry varities  (Read 1717 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Suriname cherry varities
« on: April 27, 2019, 02:14:14 AM »
Is there a Suriname cherry variety that is considered best, taste wise?  I have a Lolita, but it has not fruited yet.  Was thinking of planting another for better fruit production.
Would really like minimal resinous taste, if possible.  In my 20's, I lived in Miami and they had a Suriname cherry as a hedge.  One of the old people at the condo told me that the fruit was a tropical cherry and that I could eat it when it turned black.  So I found the blackest one I could find, ate it and thought I was eating pine sap.  So, ever since I am a bit sensitive to that off taste.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Suriname cherry varities
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 06:20:34 AM »
Well for me like alot of other fruit the more I eat the more I enjoy the taste. I also have a large hedge by my place  and have raided it for a couple yrs now. I find them to be sweetest when they are soft and about to drop off bush. Shaking helps identify the ripest. But I am now at the point where I actually enjoy the spicy resinous flavor and eat a couple orange underripe ones no problem.
As for Named varieties I have only heard of Zills Black Suriname here in Swfl fla.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 10:55:02 AM »
Is there a Suriname cherry variety that is considered best, taste wise?  I have a Lolita, but it has not fruited yet.  Was thinking of planting another for better fruit production.
Would really like minimal resinous taste, if possible.  In my 20's, I lived in Miami and they had a Suriname cherry as a hedge.  One of the old people at the condo told me that the fruit was a tropical cherry and that I could eat it when it turned black.  So I found the blackest one I could find, ate it and thought I was eating pine sap.  So, ever since I am a bit sensitive to that off taste.

Have you tried the dasyblasta?
I have a tree this year that is loaded and it has a really unusual flavor.
Not even sure how to describe it. Everyone I know who has tried the Zills Black
on my trees has really liked it. They are people who have been eating the
resinous ones all their lives. There are similar threads written and Luc and
Miguel have been experimenting for years and definitely have some unique
flavored ones. Last year I got some seeds from Luc and asked him for his
best Eugenia pitanga and best Eugenia involucrata. 

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 11:04:11 AM »
Best tasting varieties that I have tasted are; Vermillion,Westree 369,Champa,Lorver and some selected seedlings.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »
Well for me like alot of other fruit the more I eat the more I enjoy the taste. I also have a large hedge by my place  and have raided it for a couple yrs now. I find them to be sweetest when they are soft and about to drop off bush. Shaking helps identify the ripest. But I am now at the point where I actually enjoy the spicy resinous flavor and eat a couple orange underripe ones no problem.
As for Named varieties I have only heard of Zills Black Suriname here in Swfl fla.
I completely agree with your comment. The more I eat them the more I like them.
IMO Reds can be more tart and more resinous, but more complex flavor. Definitively wait until you touch and they drop; they have minimal resinous then. IMO there's no difference between "named" varieties and seedlings. Fruit flavor varies a lot from plant to plant, location to location and year to year. I have eaten hundreds and grow many of them and have not been able to establish a flavor patter. Just plant seeds and you should have fruits in 2-3 years.
Federico
Homestead, FL

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
I have the red, orange and dark-pink to black varieties in my garden. To me the sweetest and most delicious is the black variety. I consume
 them by plucking of the bush ( when they begin to fall ripe).  Eat them fresh, make juice  (in a blender which does not crack the seeds) as well as make jam. (For details of blender and how to make jam, please send PM).  Crushing the seed in the blender contributes to the acrid taste.
     Is there any publication or list describing the varieties and characteristics ?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »
'Zill Dark'.  (It isn't actually black in color, even though some nurseries have been tagging them as "Black Surinam-Cherry.")

Another good variety here in Florida is the 'Majerczak', which is actually black, usually a little smaller, and sweeter, than the 'Zill Dark'.  I don't know of any current availability.  I gave away my grafted tree, because the city was repossessing the swale where I had it.  I don't know if it survived.
Har