Author Topic: Banana variety tastes  (Read 541 times)

cgbills

• Treasure Coast, FL
    • View Profile
Banana variety tastes
« on: March 27, 2024, 08:34:30 AM »
We are looking at doing a bed/area of banana trees. My wife was thinking of just doing cavendish bananas, but I was thinking we should grow some things we don’t get in the store. So first question is what are some of your favorite banana varieties based on taste? Size isn’t a big issue but probably would like to stay around the 6-7 foot range. Second question is does anyone know a good place to try several different varieties that is semi close to the treasure coast? I think if we could taste a few different varieties, then maybe we would want more than the cavendish.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Banana variety tastes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 09:36:18 AM »
I'm familiar with Cavendish and some other varieties but all I have now are Dwarf NamWah, and it's my favorite. Sweet, smooth and creamy, and the trees don't get very tall. The crown never gets taller than 6 feet, so the fruit is easily harvested. Never have more than a few in each mat - one large, one half that size and one small one. This allows the large tree to prosper without having to give up needed nourishment to produce bananas. I happen to have a stalk that emerged a week ago.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 10:57:11 AM »
Going Bananas has a huge variety of plants.  When they were still doing mail order I got some things from them.  Now they are local only, by appointment. They are in Homestead.
I really like their stuff, and am sad I have to travel there to get corms.

Carolyn

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 11:14:16 AM »
Even from most of Florida they're just not worth the L-O-N-G drive. I wish they would sell on Ebay.
Regards,

Gary

Rice-N-Beans

• US,South East Florida,Hollywood,zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 11:25:11 AM »
Even from most of Florida they're just not worth the L-O-N-G drive. I wish they would sell on Ebay.

The drive can be long, and I live wayyy further South than you so my drive is shorter than yours. I make a half day trip out of it when I visit Going Bananas, I visit the local nurseries around Chrome Avenue while I drive home. If you are into Mexican, Cuban or Colombian food, you can definitely get a good lunch before going back home, that is what I do after cruising multiple plant and pottery places down there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 11:26:57 AM by Rice-N-Beans »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 11:32:53 AM »
Gadzooks, I'm a good 30 miles north of you, kudos to you for being a determined fruit nut! :-)

Regards,

Gary

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 11:51:48 AM »
Best taste and small tree is dwarf brazilian and dwarf namwah. 

Definitely stick with dwarf banana trees.  Banana mats quickly get big and invasive and hard to manage. 
Brad Spaugh

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 12:51:43 PM »
So, how about 'Hua Moa' and 'Raja Puri'? 

Neither of those cultivars are overly large although maybe not what would be considere dwarf.

And both have distinctive flavors.

Paul M.
==

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 02:19:15 PM »
I love Raja Puri. Bananas taste like ripe plantains.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 05:15:57 PM »
I would agree with you to skip Cavendish and try other varieties.  And to stick with dwarfs.  I like Raja Puri--a short but sturdy plant with flavor in the apple category.  I've got Goldfinger, too, but it hasn't fruited yet.
John

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 05:58:35 PM »
Gadzooks, I'm a good 30 miles north of you, kudos to you for being a determined fruit nut! :-)

You think THAT'S a long haul? We flew from Idaho into Tampa, drove down to the Keys, shopping along the way, then mailed our clothes home and filled four carry-ons with plants.  The guy at the x-ray machine asked my husband to "blink twice if you're carrying against your will..."   ;D

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 09:38:03 PM »
SH 3640 was my favorite to grow.

Super productive.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 10:02:48 PM »
Nam Wah are fantastic. I got to try them off a tree on my trip to Florida and was blown away. Way better than store bought and worth growing
Blue javas are also great. I think I tried Hua Kia years ago and really liked them too the point where I've been trying to find that banana for a decade. Hopefully by next year I'll try one to confirm. I also want to taste the Kakopo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk