Author Topic: Please help ID this mango tree  (Read 2680 times)

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
Please help ID this mango tree
« on: July 09, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »

Hi, I would appreciate any help identifying this mango tree.  It does not resemble any of the other mangos that I have and I am at a loss to ID it.  The fruit is not yet ripe so I am not able to do a taste comparison yet either. 

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Please help ID this mango tree
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »
That green tape looks too tight/////  Is it? The tape securing the tree to the pole. Looks to me like it has indented the bark in another place previously
Better to use an old rope. Or I have an old electrical cord doing it.

Is this tree grafted? Did you look for a graft line?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:11:48 PM by zands »

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »

Hi, I would appreciate any help identifying this mango tree.  It does not resemble any of the other mangos that I have and I am at a loss to ID it.  The fruit is not yet ripe so I am not able to do a taste comparison yet either.

Okrung or Nam Doc Mai?
Michael

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »
From the looks of the fruit only, I would say its a seedling.  Can you confirm it is grafted and this is indeed the graft material?

Does not look like any NDM or Okrung I have seen.
- Rob

clannewton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
That green tape looks too tight/////  Is it? The tape securing the tree to the pole. Looks to me like it has indented the bark in another place previously
Better to use an old rope. Or I have an old electrical cord doing it.

Is this tree grafted? Did you look for a graft line?

You were quite right.  I removed the tape as it is about 13 ft high and no longer needs it.  Also removed the tape from about 3 dozen other trees in the same condition.  Thanks for pointing that out and my trees thank you also!

clannewton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:07:41 PM »
From the looks of the fruit only, I would say its a seedling.  Can you confirm it is grafted and this is indeed the graft material?

I got the tree from either Home Depot or Walmart about six years ago so I would have assumed it was grafted.  I lost the id tag as I was  transporting it and several dozen other trees into my pole barn during likely freeze mornings when they were all in buckets. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:27:22 PM »

I got the tree from either Home Depot or Walmart about six years ago so I would have assumed it was grafted.  I lost the id tag as I was  transporting it and several dozen other trees into my pole barn during likely freeze mornings when they were all in buckets.

Can you please post a close up picture of the graft union.  Its the odd "bumpiness" to the fruit that I have concerns over.
- Rob

clannewton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »

Can you please post a close up picture of the graft union.  Its the odd "bumpiness" to the fruit that I have concerns over.

The first 2 pictures are of the unknown mango tree.  I really can't tell where the graft union is.  After the tree gets so big or reaches  a certain maturity, does the graft union become difficult to distinguish?  The third picture is of my 15' Valencia Pride and the fourth picture is of my 16' Kent that I got from PIN about 5 years ago and I can't distinguish the graft union on them either.  On the unknown mango tree I believe I got a couple of fruit off of it a couple of years ago and the only thing I can recall about it was the fruit was fiberless and not tupentine(thank God!).  Would have hated to have used all these growing years to have saved a turpentine mango

clannewton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »
Any other ideas?  Does the bumpiness on the fruit distort it beyond recognition?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 01:30:17 PM »
With that trunk size, you should still be able to discern the graft union.  I do not see any in the top 2 pictures.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »
Any other ideas?  Does the bumpiness on the fruit distort it beyond recognition?

Has the fruit always been bumpy like that?
- Rob

clannewton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 09:46:36 PM »

Has the fruit always been bumpy like that?

The trunk is about 4 inches in Diameter.  This is only the second year it has had fruit and I don't remember what it looked like the first year it fruited.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk