Author Topic: Foliar Feeding: Spraying vs Fogging  (Read 2507 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Foliar Feeding: Spraying vs Fogging
« on: April 16, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »
Is there a different concentration requirement for a fogger vs a standard sprayer?
I assume not because the amount that stays on the leaf should be the same.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Foliar Feeding: Spraying vs Fogging
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 01:48:51 PM »
I use the same rate in my fogger as is recommended for sprayers. Main difference is that the fogger can be an order of magnitude more efficient in terms of total amount of liquid needed. So rather than losing a large percent of liquid to run off, there is basically zero waste. Switched from sprayer to fogger several years ago (based on a recommendation of a hawaiian here on the forum), and never looked back :-).

Is there a different concentration requirement for a fogger vs a standard sprayer?
I assume not because the amount that stays on the leaf should be the same.
Does anyone have experience with this?
Jeff  :-)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 03:18:20 PM »
Getting me a stihl 450 duster / mistblower for the inaccessible spots.What do you think?mist blowers are very efficient!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »
Check out the new SR430. It doesn't have dusting capabilities (I've never needed it), but it comes with a built-in pump, which is very useful for spraying taller trees.

Getting me a stihl 450 duster / mistblower for the inaccessible spots.What do you think?mist blowers are very efficient!

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 04:39:10 PM »
 SR430 I will definitely check it out.
I see the pump also provides agitation! stihl has act together
Thanks for info

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 08:05:58 PM »
:D Pump is boss

SR430 I will definitely check it out.
I see the pump also provides agitation! stihl has act together
Thanks for info

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 11:52:13 PM »
I use the same rate in my fogger as is recommended for sprayers. Main difference is that the fogger can be an order of magnitude more efficient in terms of total amount of liquid needed. So rather than losing a large percent of liquid to run off, there is basically zero waste. Switched from sprayer to fogger several years ago (based on a recommendation of a hawaiian here on the forum), and never looked back :-).

That’s very good to know. I was skeptical about fogger after seeing the leaves barely wet after application. I switched back to regular sprayer. Guess I will go back to using the fogger. I use ryobi fogger since I already had several batteries. What is the recommended interval for foliar feeding for tropicals, i.e., mango, lychees etc.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 02:01:37 PM »
For anyone that sprays on a regular basis or anyone that likes to save time and money, a fogger is the way to go. The regular sprayers are like a horse and carriage vs the fogger which is like a fully automatic car. Once I got my fogger, I haven’t picked up my regular backpack sprayer. I just save so much time and money using significantly less of my solutions.

Simon

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 03:26:15 PM »

That’s very good to know. I was skeptical about fogger after seeing the leaves barely wet after application. I switched back to regular sprayer. Guess I will go back to using the fogger. I use ryobi fogger since I already had several batteries. What is the recommended interval for foliar feeding for tropicals, i.e., mango, lychees etc.

O nice I was planning on getting the Ryobi one. How do you like it. Does it shoot high enough for 15 ft trees?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »

O nice I was planning on getting the Ryobi one. How do you like it. Does it shoot high enough for 15 ft trees?

I fogg my citrus tree with this which is on a higher elevation ~20' high. I used 4 gal solutions to spray all of my fruit trees with a Ryobi sprayer, but with this fogger I use less than 1/2 gal and I am done in 10 mins from mixing to fogging.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 03:05:35 PM »
hmm that ryobi looks kina cool. Only issue may be getting to the tops of trees when they get bigger.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 09:29:52 PM »
I have an older mistblower the weight of that tank especially up high is a real backbreaker. I have to ease into mine by backing into it while it is on a table. They do lift leaves up well into a large tree. I see the stihl 450 is 28 pounds without 14 liter tank and water weighs 2 pounds/liter, woops 28+28= 56 pounds! Pretty much the same as my Solo 423 better eat planty of oatmeal for breakfast, it will eat your lunch for you.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 09:59:01 AM »
I have an older mistblower the weight of that tank especially up high is a real backbreaker. I have to ease into mine by backing into it while it is on a table. They do lift leaves up well into a large tree. I see the stihl 450 is 28 pounds without 14 liter tank and water weighs 2 pounds/liter, woops 28+28= 56 pounds! Pretty much the same as my Solo 423 better eat planty of oatmeal for breakfast, it will eat your lunch for you.

I imagine it would wear on anyone for extended use.I would just use it for spots,inaccessible to large equipment.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »
Yep, that's the major drawback. Very hard to put it on and tiring to use. But, then again, it's not that much harder than a conventional / manual backpack sprayer.