Author Topic: Mango Seed: Planting Mono Polys and Poly Monos  (Read 1795 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Mango Seed: Planting Mono Polys and Poly Monos
« on: July 15, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
There are a significant number if people here planting mango from seed.  Tear through enough seeds are you will confirm plants that are normally mono can throw poly seeds and vice versa.  I am curious if anyone is attempting / tracking / or close to fruiting one of these seeds: specifically what does a poly tree spitting a mono seed do and vice versa.  Of course, one result won't be definitive but for those seeking the 'off types' from elite mango varieties to begin the next elite generation, its another path...

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Seed: Planting Mono Polys and Poly Monos
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
It’s been one year since I planted this Sweet Tart Seedling , I planted it with trim trunks .

Ed
Zone 10

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »
Im glad you posted this because Im truly still a newbie but Ive been working on sprouting a bunch of seedlings and Ive been surprised at the diversity of mono and poly seeds from the same varieties. 

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »
I have 2 "poly" Lemon Zest seedlings growing. Both of their leaves have unique shapes that looks nothing like Lemon Zest. They are young and this is the only differentiating characteristic I have observed so far.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
I have 2 "poly" Lemon Zest seedlings growing. Both of their leaves have unique shapes that looks nothing like Lemon Zest. They are young and this is the only differentiating characteristic I have observed so far.

LZ is normally poly but frequently throws monos.  I have one mono I will track too.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »
It’s been one year since I planted this Sweet Tart Seedling , I planted it with trim trunks .

Ed

Was this a mono seed?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »
Poly ...
When you break open the leaves , they have an intense fruity sent, more s9 than the parent tree .

Ed
Zone 10

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »
Whoever would have guessed that Future would have mango seeds on hand? 😉
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »
I’ve got seedlings from mono polys and a couple poly monks but mostly I have multiple polys from single seeds which should give me a zygotic seedling( same as mono poly unless the mono poly was a clone).

We should remember that a mono poly may not necessarily be zygotic because there is a chance that the zygotic seedling may have died in utero leaving behind a clone. Maybe unlikely but still a possibility.

I have reports from friends whom I gifted Lemon Zest, NDM and Sweet Tart seedlings that they are growing vigorously but I don’t know if any of them are close to fruition.

I have various Polyembryonic and mono polys planted out at Brads place including mono Sweet Tart, mono Orange Sherbet on double rootstock and a lot more.

I have several Polyembryonic Valencia Prides planted out at Brads place as well but I’m not sure if they survived the gophers and last Winter.

We also have a bunch of E4, M4, Piña Colada, Cotton Candy, CAC, OS, LZ, PPK and other Polyembryonic varieties where we got two sprouts coming out. We’re hoping for clones but if we get a zygotic seedling with good fruit, we will be very pleasantly surprised. If the zygotic seedling fruit is bad, at least we have rootstocks to graft onto.

Here’s two Sweet Tart seedlings direct seeded into the ground.

Here is a couple NDM seedlings that were direct seeded into the ground about 2-3 years ago. One member here mentioned that he believed the more vigorous seedling is the Zygotic seedling or the Offtype but my more vigorous seedling is the first to flower and the shape of the fruit resembles NDM but who’s to say that the zygotic seedling fruit can’t also have that shape.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 05:51:07 PM »
Wow. That’s a bunch of genetic diversity in progress. Well done!

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »
Planting mango seeds is addicting. I am cutting the husks with tin snipes, soaking the seeds 1-3 days in water and planting in pots. Once they sprout I plant them in the ground & put a little cage made out of welded wire or chicken wire around them. The cages where suppose to keep iguana from eating them, but they seem to prefer beans, melon, squash sprouts and other vegetables. The cages do help stop me from stepping on them as grass grows & weeds overtake the garden.   A few steaks made out of branches keeps the cages from falling over.  I am making aluminum labels and labelling some mangos from Zills. Most of the others are Atauflo & Kent mango seedlings.

I have never grafted, but I'm thinking I may need to dig up and pot before grafting, so I can place them in shade. Or dig up and put a big rock underneath them to make a bonzai. After I counted 40, I wanted to get 100. I got about 60-70 now. Mango season seems to be grinding to a halt, I bought some mango today. I may have 100 in a few more weeks, we will have to wait and see.

I'll probably let some grow up and fruit like the ones from Zills or the ones with multiple sprouts?  They sure look cool, I like them better than beans, even if the iguana don't. Knock on wood.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:21:04 PM by Mango_Seed »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:37:48 AM »
I’ve got seedlings from mono polys and a couple poly monks but mostly I have multiple polys from single seeds which should give me a zygotic seedling( same as mono poly unless the mono poly was a clone).

We should remember that a mono poly may not necessarily be zygotic because there is a chance that the zygotic seedling may have died in utero leaving behind a clone. Maybe unlikely but still a possibility.

I have reports from friends whom I gifted Lemon Zest, NDM and Sweet Tart seedlings that they are growing vigorously but I don’t know if any of them are close to fruition.

I have various Polyembryonic and mono polys planted out at Brads place including mono Sweet Tart, mono Orange Sherbet on double rootstock and a lot more.

I have several Polyembryonic Valencia Prides planted out at Brads place as well but I’m not sure if they survived the gophers and last Winter.

We also have a bunch of E4, M4, Piña Colada, Cotton Candy, CAC, OS, LZ, PPK and other Polyembryonic varieties where we got two sprouts coming out. We’re hoping for clones but if we get a zygotic seedling with good fruit, we will be very pleasantly surprised. If the zygotic seedling fruit is bad, at least we have rootstocks to graft onto.

Here’s two Sweet Tart seedlings direct seeded into the ground.

Here is a couple NDM seedlings that were direct seeded into the ground about 2-3 years ago. One member here mentioned that he believed the more vigorous seedling is the Zygotic seedling or the Offtype but my more vigorous seedling is the first to flower and the shape of the fruit resembles NDM but who’s to say that the zygotic seedling fruit can’t also have that shape.

Simon

Simon the leaves of my ST Seedling has a potent fruity aroma more powerful than the parent tree .

Zone 10