Author Topic: NEW TO GROWING JABOS . . . .  (Read 1050 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
NEW TO GROWING JABOS . . . .
« on: March 27, 2020, 03:13:18 AM »
I finally broke down and bought several Jabos and now have a couple questions.

For those of you on this forum who are growing Plinia or Myciaria species or cultivars which of them do you find to be the most precocious. How precocious?

Also was wondering which of the above mentioned have more of a tendency to shed last year's leaves and flush new ones?

What I have selected are Plinia edulis (Cambucá) and Sabará plus a couple very small seedlings of both a Myciaria cauliflora and a Grimal.

Are there any others that fit my query?

TIA

Paul M.
Zone 9b
==

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: NEW TO GROWING JABOS . . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:33:37 AM »
You need Branca grafted onto the rootstock of the small leaved black jabo....that grows the fastest and is most precocious. Maybe also the best tasting one, i don't know about that yet.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:54:21 AM »
RED

small seed
thin skin
fruits constantly
great taste
3-5 years to fruit.
Stays fairly small

That being said once you start collecting them it's hard to stop. I have good fresh
red seeds now. Send Pm if interested. It has been one of the easiest seedlings for me to grow.

Here is a picture of a 9 month old seedling red next to a year and a half sabara

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:21:17 AM »
i grafted branca on a sabara small leaf rootstock 13 months ago, kept it in full sun and now it is 60x60 cm...grows much better than the original branca of 6 years old, i think it will be larger than the original tree next year.

But this week i grafted another branca on the same tree, hopefully i get more fruit that way.

I have many more small sabara's but they didn't grow at all since last 13 months when i bought them.

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »
RED

small seed
thin skin
fruits constantly
great taste
3-5 years to fruit.
Stays fairly small

That being said once you start collecting them it's hard to stop. I have good fresh
red seeds now. Send Pm if interested. It has been one of the easiest seedlings for me to grow.

Here is a picture of a 9 month old seedling red next to a year and a half sabara

Beautiful Jabos

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk