Author Topic: Purple Possum Passiflora not putting out  (Read 1073 times)

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Purple Possum Passiflora not putting out
« on: November 11, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »
Planted possum purple passion fruit along my fence in full sun bout 2years back. Tons of flowering but none fruit. No other passionfruit growing in the area. No bumblebees here either.  Does this variety need another companion plant to sex with?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Purple Possum Passiflora not putting out
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:40:16 AM »
try fertilizing and hand pollination. should be self-fertile.

they can take a while to get going, but once they do...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
Are there honeybees on the flowers? 
Brad Spaugh

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:22:47 PM »
Planted possum purple passion fruit along my fence in full sun bout 2years back. Tons of flowering but none fruit. No other passionfruit growing in the area. No bumblebees here either.  Does this variety need another companion plant to sex with?

It sounds like we both planted the possum purple passion fruit at about the same time and we apparently have similar results after 2 years as I have gotten one mature fruit with seeds and the typical taste. Most of mine have been empty green balls that turn brown and empty like table tennis balls and light weight. It has been a major disappointment to me and something I wish I had NOT purchased as no one is responding on how to get it to fruit with juicy seeds to be enjoyed instead of empty fluff balls.

Originally I fertllized and then stopped and it grew good and I thought I should decrease fertilizer to help it fruit. It did not or very little. Probably next year I tried fertilizing a lot and in hind sight this is probably what I will continue doing as that is when I got some fruit and one with some seeds and typical taste.

If someone knows, please comment as apparently many people are not getting typical juicy fruit after even 2 years of vine growth...

So, should we fertilize very heavily like bananas as maybe I still have not given it enough??? Also what type of fertilizer was successful and inorganic or organic or both etc. etc. etc.  My guess is yes but just a guess.....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:29:20 PM by palmcity »

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 04:39:19 AM »

It sounds like we both planted the possum purple passion fruit at about the same time and we apparently have similar results after 2 years as I have gotten one mature fruit with seeds and the typical taste. Most of mine have been empty green balls that turn brown and empty like table tennis balls and light weight. It has been a major disappointment to me and something I wish I had NOT purchased as no one is responding on how to get it to fruit with juicy seeds to be enjoyed instead of empty fluff balls.

Originally I fertllized and then stopped and it grew good and I thought I should decrease fertilizer to help it fruit. It did not or very little. Probably next year I tried fertilizing a lot and in hind sight this is probably what I will continue doing as that is when I got some fruit and one with some seeds and typical taste.

If someone knows, please comment as apparently many people are not getting typical juicy fruit after even 2 years of vine growth...

So, should we fertilize very heavily like bananas as maybe I still have not given it enough??? Also what type of fertilizer was successful and inorganic or organic or both etc. etc. etc.  My guess is yes but just a guess.....

Yea i feed mine too, I don’t think its the fertilizer for me since It has no problem flowering but will not set any fruit, I have honey bees in the yard but I don’t think they interested in the flowers.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 08:04:25 AM »
It just takes them a while to get going. Same thing happened with PP, Panama Red, and Brazilian Gold. Planted in ground, grew like crazy, flowered, and no fruits for a while. The PP made tiny empty "fruits" for a while.

Then, they all started producing like crazy. The roots are probably doing something.

Keep hand pollinating. They will come.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 08:23:55 AM »
It just takes them a while to get going. Same thing happened with PP, Panama Red, and Brazilian Gold. Planted in ground, grew like crazy, flowered, and no fruits for a while. The PP made tiny empty "fruits" for a while.

Then, they all started producing like crazy. The roots are probably doing something.

Thank you for the hope

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 10:22:57 AM »
It just takes them a while to get going.

The PP made tiny empty "fruits" for a while.

Previously last year hand pollination definitely produced many "tiny empty "fruits" "  but it was not for a while as it was continually except for 1 partially juicy seeded fruit.... I got tired of picking off the empty fluff balls so I stopped the hand pollination but will start again if I believe it will result in seeded juicy fruit instead of fluff balls....

So after 2 years of growth, are you now fertilizing and if so how heavily and how often to get it to bear "seeded juicy fruit" as I no longer want to waste time by hand pollinating, effort, and fertilizer on producing empty fluff balls...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
Haphazard fert regimen based upon how things look, but usually hit them once or twice a year.

Fertilization definitely helps, especially in the early springtime.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 11:49:43 AM »
It should get there eventually.  Ours didn't produce much for 4 years, but has picked up the last 2.  To be fair, it was pretty neglected, so perhaps that could have been accelerated.  Hand pollination not required here.