Author Topic: List of male fertile citrus varieties?  (Read 960 times)

Mike Jennings

• Pleasant Hill, CA -- Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Diablo Valley Farm
List of male fertile citrus varieties?
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
I have been thinking about making some crosses between some of my citrus trees, and I'm curious if anyone can help me figure out a list of varieties that can be used as pollen parents.

I have learned that clementines, pomelos, and kumquats produce zygotic seedlings, and can be used as the female parent in a cross. I have not found a lot of info on pollen fertility in citrus.

I keep coming across this page from a paper that mentions a few varieties.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mike

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: List of male fertile citrus varieties?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 04:54:14 PM »
Satsumas are not completely pollen sterile , it depends on climatic conditions, higher temperatures during  the flowering increase the number of perfect pollen grains. I manged to produce hybrids with Miyagawa and Xie Shan pollen.
Navels are mostly sterile, but I read  an article that states that Fukumoto can produce some fertile pollen.
From your list, in my conditions clementines were fertile as well as Tarocco blood orange.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: List of male fertile citrus varieties?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:04:05 PM »
I have learned that clementines, pomelos, and kumquats produce zygotic seedlings, and can be used as the female parent in a cross. I have not found a lot of info on pollen fertility in citrus.
The vast majority of citrus can be used to pollinate other varieties.
Kishu is one of the ones that is a very poor pollinator, but still not impossible.

Very few citrus cultivars are completely pollen sterile.

It is possible to use other citrus varieties as the female parent, but the great majority (70-98%) of the seeds will be nucellar clones of the parent, so that could make things difficult.
Oranges tend to be the very worst, almost completely entirely nucellar.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:06:43 PM by SoCal2warm »