Author Topic: Most profitable tropical and subtropical fruit trees?  (Read 31189 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Most profitable tropical and subtropical fruit trees?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2015, 04:08:38 PM »
let's not derail a great thread...maybe we can continue the GMO discussion in the off topic?

some great points are being made on both sides (Sheehan, Jeff, Harry, Oscar, Franciscu, and others)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2015, 04:59:54 PM »
Rainbow is the only GMO papaya. Yes it can cross pollinate with any other papaya and contaminate it. This is only the case if you're growing in vicinity of commercial GMO rainbow papaya fields. To get uncontaminated papayas you need to grow minimum 1/2 mile from any GMO field because papaya pollen is wind borne. Seeds can be tested for GMO contamination.
Monsanto does not have any fields or operations on this island. They have been effectively blocked out by legislation here. They do have fields though on some of the other islands. Anyway, Monsanto has nothing to do with GMO papaya. For that we have to "thank" our stupid university.

There's a lot of GM papaya grown on your island Oscar, and probably other GM crops as well.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »
Rainbow is the only GMO papaya. Yes it can cross pollinate with any other papaya and contaminate it. This is only the case if you're growing in vicinity of commercial GMO rainbow papaya fields. To get uncontaminated papayas you need to grow minimum 1/2 mile from any GMO field because papaya pollen is wind borne. Seeds can be tested for GMO contamination.
Monsanto does not have any fields or operations on this island. They have been effectively blocked out by legislation here. They do have fields though on some of the other islands. Anyway, Monsanto has nothing to do with GMO papaya. For that we have to "thank" our stupid university.

There's a lot of GM papaya grown on your island Oscar, and probably other GM crops as well.

Hopefully they will not be profitable crops, because of consumer boycotts.

I don't want multinational corps having that much control and power over my life, or the natural world around me...it's bad enough as is.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »

What's interesting about the GMO papaya is that I've read that it actually has less of the ringspot virus than non GMO papaya. In essence, the non-GMO have more of what the GMO papaya was created to prevent. So, why all the GMO papaya hate?

I don't think people should dismiss something just because it is GMO. I think GMO plants are very important to agriculture and will continue to be even more important as time progresses.

Ringspot virus is only ONE disease. Those GMO papayas still have plenty of other problems. Main problem is they are not as good quality. They sell for a lot lower price than the non GMO. Also GMO papayas are often irradiated, as well as having tons of pesticides, herbicides, fungicide residues. So Murahilin if you like to eat papayas with all these ingredients added go ahead!
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »
obviously the GMO papaya has less of the ringspot virus--that's why it was created in the first place.  The issues are when man plays with science in ways that we just don't know about.  Maybe it's fine to eat a salmon that is crossed with something else, but then again, maybe it's a huge health risk.  Many diseases are now out of control, and many people have food allergies now...not saying it's because of GMOs, but I am leery.

For me, it also involves a general lack of trust toward corporations to do the right thing (not just the cheapest thing).  For example, Roundup ready seeds were not created to better the quality of corn....just the laziest way possible--by dumping WAY more roundup on the fields.  So, they in essence, are spending billions on products that will cause people to use more pesticides/herbicides in a much more reckless manner.  It's also a trade-off because then the farmer must buy RR seeds EVERY YEAR because they aren't allowed to collect them (nor ar they viable).  So  a corporation took a seed that would reproduce each year and turned it into a cash cow for them (on the front end with seeds each year and on the back end with tons more roundup sold), but it isn't healthier for consumers...just more profitable.  Add to it, the fact that, as a corporation, their job is to use whatever chemicals are safe until they are proven unsafe and toxic (ie. DDT which was great until it was found not to be great at all).  Who's to say glycophosphate (sp?) isn't really bad for our health, and we'll find out after the fact.

Now, maybe all this is completely overblown....but then again, maybe it's a good idea

On top of that, as was mentioned previously, you can't keep it contained to just one farmer's land--thus tarnishing the OP seeds that people have collected for thousands of years.  I'm not cool with all these concerns just so I can have a papaya that doesn't get ringspot virus (plus in a few years it will be susceptible to whatever comes next (like diabetes medicine that may solve the insulin issues, but make a heart attack more likely--just saying problems are usually multi-faceted and need more than a singular solution to a specific problem (ie. ringspot virus).

Now, having said all that, I don't feel like ranting against GMOs all the time, BUT...
I think it is criminal that one can sell a scientist experiment to consumers without their knowledge.  America is the home of toxic chemicals, but the very LEAST we could do is be honest and stop trying actively (through PR, junk science, political contributions, lobbying, etc) keep consumers in the dark.

I think it all depends on whom one trusts:  science-generated (mutated) living things that are created to boost profits or  seeds that are collected and bred naturally, over the course of time by caretakers of the Earth.  Depending on how one views this choice, that is likely to influence their decision on whether GMOs are harmless or the next scourge.

Sheehan is not realizing that it's a package deal. The GMO papayas also go with the package of irradiation and chemicals. It's part of the "green revolution", ie let's add as many man made artificial products as possible.
Also GMO growers here have made growing organic papayas practically impossible. They put a lot of organic growers out of business. In order to grow organic you now have to be in totally isolated areas from commercial growers. Otherwise the organic papayas get contaminated and cannot be certified organic any longer.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2015, 05:19:39 PM »
Harry...

have you thought about joining the legal team at monsanto?

you've got your work cut out.

If you're interested send a PM to JCaldeira, I bet he has a contact there.

Monsanto already has all the top lawyers. They also have the judges and politicians in their pockets. That is why they always win practically every legal case.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2015, 07:16:42 PM »
Harry...

Just because I don't see inherent evil in the letters GMO, doesn't mean I want to work for Monsanto.  Although, I guess if they wished to pay me to give them legal advice, I would consider employment with them or any other company.  Its the American way, you know. Companies that lose their way putting profit ahead of safety to the detriment of their customers health are generally only changed by two possible groups of people.  The first are the people they injure through the actions of those injured person's lawyers or through the lawyers who work for the company who warn the company that not changing their actions is going to be too costly to the company in the future because of the lawyers, previously mentioned, suing them. Capitalism, seeking to maximize profits, with lawyers as watchdogs (some would say vultures), seems to be the way our system works.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
a bit of a snide remark on my part, please forgive me.

I get frustrated when I see well respected, and intelligent (upstanding) fruit collectors who are proponents of genetic modification.

(if it's any consolation, I'm genetically modifying the illama you gave me, by splicing it with a pond apple)

Harry...

Just because I don't see inherent evil in the letters GMO, doesn't mean I want to work for Monsanto.  Although, I guess if they wished to pay me to give them legal advice, I would consider employment with them or any other company.  Its the American way, you know. Companies that lose their way putting profit ahead of safety to the detriment of their customers health are generally only changed by two possible groups of people.  The first are the people they injure through the actions of those injured person's lawyers or through the lawyers who work for the company who warn the company that not changing their actions is going to be too costly to the company in the future because of the lawyers, previously mentioned, suing them. Capitalism, seeking to maximize profits, with lawyers as watchdogs (some would say vultures), seems to be the way our system works.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:37:38 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2015, 08:55:21 PM »
One last remark on these “ Maybe GMO Hawaiian Papayas “ I used to grow , they were the size of my hand and the best tasting desert papaya I ever had .

Oscar , If you have one , small size that you would eat just because it is sooo good , let me know , I am not familiar with the sunset / sunrise etc...varieties .

Luc
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2015, 03:35:20 AM »
Harry...

*snort*

lol don't hold your breath, Mr. Hausman.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:56:35 AM by starling1 »

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
genetic modification = molestation and perversion of mother nature

it's profitable, but so is a meth lab.

As in most things, I tend not take extreme views regarding the concept of GMO.  I know that there is the potential for abuse and negative results based upon greed and profit motivation......the quick fix answer which does not have enough information or foresight to make something safe has already been shown to be a concern with projects already in production.  However, the idea that the letters GMO automatically conjure up something akin to molestation or perversion seems a bit over the top. I would equate this type of thinking with the idea that man shouldn't fly because nature didn't give him wings or that man shouldn't develop antibiotics because nature intended us to get sick and possibly die......its just too bad.....get sick and die.

The reality is, at least in my view,  that Nature has no great wisdom.  It survives and flourishes as the result of major trials and errors.  Countless species and their DNA have been lost forever without any intervention from man over the millenia. Nature randomly mutates DNA in reproduction.  The most adaptable DNA survives and passes on its DNA to its progeny.  The less adaptable, less successful DNA formulations die out naturally and their DNA dies with them.  To ascribe intelligence to this natural process and proclaim its superiority to man's potential scientific intervention I think fails to consider all of the failures and defects that Nature has created and continues to create. There are probably even some natural random genetic mutations that are due to exposure to natural chemical compounds and/or radiation that have absolutely nothing to do with man and his corruption of nature.

When man uses cross breeding and hybridization he is interfering with the natural process.  It is not quite gene splicing or causing genetic material to turn off or on, but it is one step in that direction.  We have no problem with doing this non-natural cross breeding of animals or plants but it is a major ethical issue if anyone says,  "hey, let's try it with humans."

So before we just proclaim GMO of the devil, pause should be taken to consider its potential benefits. Close attention has to be paid to what is being modified and the potential negative effects of any such modification. There will be errors made but the potential for speeding up the beneficial process that man has tried to perfect in hybridization is virtually limitless with scientifically engineering changes in the natural world. This process needs to be transparent and appropriate labeling of products that have been modified are musts.

Your understanding of evolution by natural selection is profane. On the point of nature having 'No great wisdom', while it is true that evolution does not design things intelligently, it nonetheless designs biological organisms perfectly in the sense that these will work in equilibrium and co-efficiently within complexities of changing environments throughout the span of time. There is a saying in music that sometimes you have to 'listen to the notes that aren't played'. EBNS is like this. It does not produce organisms which are invulnerable, because this would make all life effectively impossible as such organisms would outstrip the energy and resources available to them, and would then themselves die out as a result.  Evolution is an equation that sets parameters, checks and balances, through probabilities...indeed, the equation of EBNS is at once so complicated, yet so simple, that it is unlikely that if it did not feature as a mathematical syllogism of the material world to be unearthed and articulated, no scientist, nor mathematician  that has ever lived, could have conceived of it. Evolution is not an automobile engineer. It is not designing organisms to be mechanically flawless in the sense that they are invulnerable; it is designing organisms capable of both attacking and defending, of hunting down and escaping, which results in an eternal, continuous ramping-up abilities in organisms throughout successive generations. It is not the end result that is important, but rather the process itself, and its continuance, that ensures biological harmony. Consider cheetahs and gazelles; one is designed to chase down the other, the other is designed to outrun and outmaneuver the other. Both have evolved to accomplish these goals and are  designed  with exquisite discrimination. The result is that sometimes the cheetah gets the gazelle, and sometimes the gazelle escapes the cheetah. In the larger arena of biodiversity, this arrangement has implications for other life. Hence, there is an equilibrium in the appropriation  of energy in a complex system; that is, this arrangement makes sense, and is perfect within our  synergistic, material universe as governed and defined by the laws of thermodynamics (especially considering the first Law thereof, which is something else you opaquely have no grasp of).  Nature does not create 'failures'; not in the sense that you mean--this is an anthropological concept which is not reflected in the biological world.

Side note: Take a look around. What evidence is there, exactly, that human beings are better suited to driving the direction of life, according to your observations, exactly? Why would you assume that Human beings would do anything other than replicate, extrapolate, and exacerbate the pure, unmitigated fucking disaster they have effected unto themselves and everything else in existence both historically presently? Does the idea that we'd do better really sound like a smart bet to you?

You infer that nature is cruel. It is. But it is necessarily cruel. For unnecessary cruelty--the sort that is expressed in all manner of depraved and sadistic acts of physical and psychological torture limited only in scope and detail by the human imagination, you need human beings.

Snakes eat mice. Human beings tie razors to the spurs of roosters, make dogs fight to death for entertainment, and consider  bullfighting a sport.

We are, in fact, the only organism in existence that inflicts cruelty, knowing it to be cruelty.

Additionally, you seem to be confusing lemarckism with Darwinism in your assertion that: 'The most adaptable DNA survives and passes on its DNA to its progeny'.

No. That's not how it works. DNA does not, cannot 'adapt' to the environment, as a reactionary process to the conditions of the natural world, at the molecular level. Adaptation is driven by random  mutations which either succeed, or do not succeed in said environment ipso facto. As it is worded, you are expressing the inverse of this, which is, as I have said, Lemarckism (eg, Giraffes have longer necks from straining to reach leaves at higher and higher levels).

['i]When man uses cross breeding and hybridization he is interfering with the natural process[/i]'

..is the most scientifically illiterate  sentence of your entire post. No; Hybridization is not interfering with the 'natural process'. Insects, fish, and even mammals readily hybridize without anthropological interference and have done since, well, probably since they entered existence. Hybridization is, while rare,  one of the key mechanisms by which the probability of survival is increased within a species. Mutations also occur at an increased incidence in hybridization. What you are referring to, in an extremely abstract way, is artificial selection. That is, the process whereby human beings select genetic traits in plants and animals based on anthropogenic preferences. This has nothing to do with Genetic modification whatsoever, because hybridization can only occur between species which share very large amounts of the same genes.
That is, hybridization, as far as we know, cannot occur between organisms of different orders. Most hybrids occur within a Genus.There has never been an example of an interordinal hybrid, which is, excuse me, exactly what GMO's are. GMO's are abominations; they could not, as a result of either natural, or artificial selection, have occurred as a result of the processes of gene swapping which occur in the natural world. GMO is the process of splicing genetic material from seperate organisms, which are not related, to create monstrosities.

Unless of course you think it is possible for fireflies to procreate with mice, and that's why we now have mice that glow in the dark through luciferase proteins? I can assure that you no matter how lonely fireflies or mice become--it ain't going to happen.

Ridiculous.

Oh--any by the way---all those artificially selected organisms are ultimately useless in the conditions of the world. Stick a poodle out in the environment of a wolf (common ancestor of all dogs) and see if can take down a moose. And so it is the case with all animals. In fact, one only has to look at 'feral' populations of pigs, dogs, and cats to see that these organisms become stronger with successive generations exposed to natural, not artificial, selection.

'I would equate this type of thinking with the idea that man shouldn't fly because nature didn't give him wings or that man shouldn't develop antibiotics because nature intended us to get sick and possibly die......its just too bad.....get sick and die'.

Where did you pass the bar--French Guinea?

Antibiotics are designed to work with our own DNA, and neither change, nor augment,, DNA at any level. Genetic modification is precisely the opposite; it is, by intent, the process of augmenting  gene sequences in natural organisms to create unnatural organisms.  The science of antibiotics and aeronautics is well understood, and when it was not, the risks associated with proceeding in experimentation did not equate to 16th particle of that presented by GM Research.  Moreover, planes and antibiotics are inherently necessary. GMO crops are not inherently necessary inventions, because we already have non GMO crops which are capable of feeding our populations. They are, as it stands, inherently unnecessary.  Nobody needs to eat GMO crops. Monsanto needs people to eat them to expand their margins. It is what it is.

So please, do me favor; the next time you want to express an opinion relating to a scientific principle, or matter--that is, one that has a provable, falsifiable, objective reality in the material universe, you could at least make the effort to to become at least quasi-scientifically literate. If you don't understand the how, you shouldn't even be thinking about the why.  Consider first that you might not even know what you don't know.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:02:42 AM by starling1 »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2015, 08:06:19 AM »
*snort*
 lol don't hold your breath, Mr. Hausman.

Despite my 35+ years of liability litigation experience, which has included extensive product liability case handling and my AV peer rating from Martindale Hubbell, if my holding my breath waiting for a Monsanto job offer is your only concern, you have nothing to worry about.  I am glad I was able to provide you with a hearty, well meant *snort*.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2015, 08:36:19 AM »
So please, do me favor; the next time you want to express an opinion relating to a scientific principle, or matter--that is, one that has a provable, falsifiable, objective reality in the material universe, you could at least make the effort to to become at least quasi-scientifically literate. If you don't understand the how, you shouldn't even be thinking about the why.  Consider first that you might not even know what you don't know.

The good news......any forum member or I can spout off at anytime without "doing you the favor" of doing or knowing anything.  My post was not meant to be a scientific treatise and you are free to attack the details as you have, so impressively.  The only thing more impressive is your self absorption and proclivity to try to impress everyone with your extensive, all encompassing knowledge and vocabulary.  Sprinkle in some personal attacks and some condescension and voila.......Starling1. 

I am quite sure that I will never be as great an attorney or legal scholar as you may one day be.  That is if you ever become either. I suggest you take some time to get to know two of my "H" friends.  They would be "humble" and "humility."  They will serve you well in your future endeavors. All the best to you......always.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »
Orcas are guilty of cruelty as well !

! No longer available

You infer that nature is cruel. It is. But it is necessarily cruel. For unnecessary cruelty--the sort that is expressed in all manner of depraved and sadistic acts of physical and psychological torture limited only in scope and detail by the human imagination, you need human beings.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:29:27 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
Orcas are guilty of cruelty as well !

Thanks for pointing this out, Adam.  And, to be correct Mr. Starling1, I didn't infer anything.  I may have implied cruelty of nature in my post.  If you want to play pedantic games with words and word usage you should at least understand the difference between inferring and implying. I am surprised by this pedestrian misuse of the English language from someone as verbally skilled as you are.  :o
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »

Harry, I don't know if starling was calling you old since French Guinea hasn't existed since 1958 or if he just doesn't know his geography and confused French Guinea with French Guiana.

If he was referring to French Guinea he may actually have been complimenting your intelligence since I don't think a 5 year old has ever passed the bar or graduated from law school.

I guess we will never know the answers to these pressing questions since somehow starling was banned a few minutes ago.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »
! No longer available

Harry, I don't know if starling was calling you old since French Guinea hasn't existed since 1958 or if he just doesn't know his geography and confused French Guinea with French Guiana.

If he was referring to French Guinea he may actually have been complimenting your intelligence since I don't think a 5 year old has ever passed the bar or graduated from law school.

I guess we will never know the answers to these pressing questions since somehow starling was banned a few minutes ago.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Florida_Transplant

• Central FL zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »
Hi,

I don't think this has been discussed here before.

I read some posts recently about mangosteen, and now wonderful this fruit is. I have never had one so I am only imagine. But from what I have read wouldn't mangosteen be the most likeable and sellable fruit to average Joe on the street? So I was just wondering, in a tropical climate, if one had enough land (and patience) and wanting to plant some fruit trees for profit would mangosteen be the most profitable fruit tree to grow?

Same question for a sub-tropical climate. But I have no clue about that myself. It's all very hypothetical to me at this point and it would be interesting to know.

Tomas

I would think, the most profitable would be the one that is:

cheapest to grow (inputs)

quickest to produce fruit

best crop size per square foot

with the least difficulty in maintaining a sure crop (pest resistance + drought resistance)

that is most commonly bought by the most people.

You could conceivably start grafting citrus onto Flying Dragon and breed your own for your neck of the woods.

That would actually give you 2 crops. The new fruit cultivars as well as producing Pectin for the canning/preserving markets from the Flying Dragons.

Just think of it! "Organic Pectin"...In this day and age where people want to know where their ingredients come from, Organic and NON-Gmo has the corner of the market.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2015, 03:53:36 PM »
Florida Transplant,

way to get the discussion back on the track!

I agree with much of what you said, but I have a different approach.

I'm looking to start new trends, by introducing novel varieties and species, while catering to a niche market.

I like to have a product that no one else has for sale (something new and innovative, that I believe in).

Hi,

I read some posts recently about mangosteen, and now wonderful this fruit is. I have never had one so I am only imagine. But from what I have read wouldn't mangosteen be the most likeable and sellable fruit to average Joe on the street? So I was just wondering, in a tropical climate, if one had enough land (and patience) and wanting to plant some fruit trees for profit would mangosteen be the most profitable fruit tree to grow?

Same question for a sub-tropical climate. But I have no clue about that myself. It's all very hypothetical to me at this point and it would be interesting to know.

Tomas

with the least difficulty in maintaining a sure crop (pest resistance + drought resistance)

You could conceivably start grafting citrus onto Flying Dragon and breed your own for your neck of the woods.

That would actually give you 2 crops. The new fruit cultivars as well as producing Pectin for the canning/preserving markets from the Flying Dragons.

Just think of it! "Organic Pectin"...In this day and age where people want to know where their ingredients come from, Organic and NON-Gmo has the corner of the market.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Redrockluv

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
And
F
for forgive? :-\
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:26:42 PM by Redrockluv »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2015, 04:16:57 AM »
Hi,

Tomas

Your equation is good. The problem is everyone uses this same equation. What you haven't factored into your equation is competition. When everyone uses same equation and jumps on the band wagon and grows same "profitable" crop, then price of profitable crop soon plummets. I agree with Adam. For the small grower niche markets are the way to go, not so much competition, preferably having several crops, so if price of one dives you have some other ones to resort to.
Oscar

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2015, 09:19:27 AM »
Where abouts are you referring to in location? Soil makes a huge difference in what you can grow, even if the temps/humidity are the same. I would avoid citrus commercially like the plague. Too many issues with pests and disease causing you to use large amounts of fertilizer and pesticides. So I don't think that fits the niche market anyway.

As for central florida, time not being a factor, I still think Olives are the ideal fruit. With the water shortage in Cali, some kind of disease striking down orchards in Europe, the current trend towards healthly eating and cooking oil, the price of olive oil is going to continue to rise. There are three varieties that grow excellent here and with time you could probably find more to get that niche in the market. The trees themselves do not require massive amounts of water, fertilizer or pesticides. I have had three trees now for four years and have had not a single pest on it or any issues requiring me to add anything to them. If I could have obtained the piece of property next to me I would have set up a one acre olive orchard. Even small scale farmers can make money(you aren't going to get rich still)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk