Author Topic: Soil for Mango trees  (Read 2406 times)

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Soil for Mango trees
« on: May 31, 2018, 01:11:50 AM »
In Covina, where I live,  the soil is not all that great.
I am thinking of amending a mixture of soil for my Mango trees.
I am going to add:
Fish Bone meal
High phosphorus Bat Guano
Blood meal
Oyster shell
Kelp meal
Epsom salt
Dolomite Lime
Azomite
Powdered Humic Acid
Worm castings
High Quality Potting soil with mycorrhizae
Peat moss
Perlite
I have made a mixture similar to this for my citrus trees and it really helped them grow strong.
One question I have is will this soil be to hot for mango trees?
Your thoughts and advice are appreciated

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Soil for Mango trees
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:23:03 AM »
What type of soil you have ?. clay, sand ?.
Moh'd

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »
At my location, the soil is very poor for tropical plants(heavy clay). The most effective way to deal with it is to Remove and Replace the clay soil. It is labor intensive and does involve some expense so I know most people will not do this but it is by far the most effective method.  I remove the clay from a 4 foot X 4 foot area about 20-24" deep and replace it with a mix of beautiful sandy loom soil I purchased along with some sand and pumice. The mix is as follows 75% topsoil, 15% washed sand and 10% pumice. After the hole has been backfilled I plant a manila mango seedling tree. Growth has been excellent using this method.

Johnny

Clay

• USDA Zone 10B, 75' ASL, Orange County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »
At my location, the soil is very poor for tropical plants(heavy clay). The most effective way to deal with it is to Remove and Replace the clay soil. It is labor intensive and does involve some expense so I know most people will not do this but it is by far the most effective method.  I remove the clay from a 4 foot X 4 foot area about 20-24" deep and replace it with a mix of beautiful sandy loom soil I purchased along with some sand and pumice. The mix is as follows 75% topsoil, 15% washed sand and 10% pumice. After the hole has been backfilled I plant a manila mango seedling tree. Growth has been excellent using this method.

Johnny

Doesn't that pretty much guarantee that your new tree's roots will only grow until it hits the "bad" clay soil, and then turn to try stay in the "nice" soil mix?
<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
No, The mango roots will eventually grow into the clay soil but by that time the tree will be larger with a good root system and larger roots that make penetration easier. Clay is not the ideal soil for mangos but over time the manilla seedling will adapt. Having ideal soil for the first three years really helps to get the plant established and growing rapidly. I never tried putting a mango tree on turpentine into clay soil but I am guessing it would do poorly.  The manila seedling is well adapted to Mexican soil which is heavier than the Florida soils in general and closer to our soil here in California. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
Mangoes love sandy loam.

However, my concern would be that the clay underneath the amended soil will retain water. So, even though the top soil drains well, it will pool at the bottom of the hole. But, I suppose it's a moot point since socal isn't known for its high rainfall. I guess just be careful with the irrigation frequency.
Jeff  :-)

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »

The soil where I live is lots of rock.  Almost need a jackhammer to dig a hole, as well as clay once you get passed the first 2 feet.  The top 2 feet is sandy and rocky.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:23:31 PM »
I do have 2 pomegranate trees growing in it and doing very well in that soil.   Was thinking that for Mangos,  I might want to make a richer soil.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »

The soil where I live is lots of rock.  Almost need a jackhammer to dig a hole, as well as clay once you get passed the first 2 feet.  The top 2 feet is sandy and rocky.

Mango can be grown in almost any type of soil as long as there is a good drainage, there should not be any problem. I have seen mango trees grown in poor soil around here but still manage to produce fruits.

Here is a video mango grown commercially in Oman Mountain.

http://youtu.be/QtYTDQ3xSfQ

I will say start with a seedling first and see how it react with your environment first.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:18:35 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
No, The mango roots will eventually grow into the clay soil but by that time the tree will be larger with a good root system and larger roots that make penetration easier. Clay is not the ideal soil for mangos but over time the manilla seedling will adapt. Having ideal soil for the first three years really helps to get the plant established and growing rapidly. I never tried putting a mango tree on turpentine into clay soil but I am guessing it would do poorly.  The manila seedling is well adapted to Mexican soil which is heavier than the Florida soils in general and closer to our soil here in California.

You can add crushed rocks beneath your trees before planting. It should increase the drainage.
Moh'd

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »

Mango can be grown in almost any type of soil as long as there is a good drainage, there should not be any problem. I have seen mango trees grown in poor soil around here but still manage to produce fruits.

Here is a video mango grown commercially in Oman Mountain.

http://youtu.be/QtYTDQ3xSfQ

I will say start with a seedling first and see how it react with your environment first.

After seeing that video and the size of that tree,  that gives me hope...lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk