Author Topic: Mango blooms in canada?  (Read 6007 times)

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
Mango blooms in canada?
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »
Hi guys, the ''flower bud'' that I taught was just opened :) I noticed at the base of the flush something unusual which I think are flowers, could you confirm guys?

Here's some pictures:

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango blooms in canada?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »
It's part of it, Congrats  ;D
Tim

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
Yes!!! ;D That means I will have mangos in winter??

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »
Yes, I agree...it looks like blooms! Congrats Samuel!!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:19 AM »
Woo, congrats!  Look forward to that myself  :)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
Thank you guys, I really wished this. I'll need to buy some lighting for this winter...

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:12:29 AM »
Congratulations on successfully flowering mangoes in Canada!! I hope lots of fruits set for you!!

Chris
✌🏽

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »
Thanks! It looks like a weak flower... mixed with leaves, I'm not sure it will set a lot, so I'll polinate some with a paint brush. By the way the plant had bloomed when I bought it, but no fruit had set. I could only see the old dried bloom spikes, weird it bloomed again a month later.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »
Hey Samuel,

How did everything turn out for you? Did you have a chance to pollinate your mango flowers at all? As far as mangoes are concerned, they will bloom a second time if it was not successful at setting fruit. I hope all is well.

Chris
✌🏽

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »
Chris, I had the chance to pollinate them even if the tree is outside with a paintbrush and I got a couple of fruit set!!! I hope they will be able to ripen indoor...I have only 1 month left of warm temperatures. Until the end of september I'll have to bring my trees indoor.

Here's some pictures:

They are about an inch in size to give you an idea :)

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
Whoa!! That is amazing!!! Great job Samuel   8) 8) ;D  I really do admire you zone pushers!!! Doing the unthinkable! 

And thanks for the pics!! The proof is in the pudding, as they say. You are way beyond your years, for sure! lol  Wow...
✌🏽

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »
Thanks Chris :) For now there is 7 mangoes of that size. I'll keep for sure pushing the zone. My new additin for next will be a Mahachanok mango from plantogram. I just need to save a little bit 260$ for a tree that's expensive LOL

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
Thanks Chris :) For now there is 7 mangoes of that size. I'll keep for sure pushing the zone. My new additin for next will be a Mahachanok mango from plantogram. I just need to save a little bit 260$ for a tree that's expensive LOL

Again, great job! There are only a select few of you "extreme" zone pushers out there in the world. Boy, your mango tree is a far way from the tropics but yet you are able to provide an environment good enough for it to flower and fruit!

Maha Chanok mango is delicious. When I was living in Thailand and studying abroad, I lived next to a Shopping Mall with a grocery store selling Maha Chanok mangoes. The ripe fruit has such a sweet and delicious aroma, which can fill the entire room. The taste was very sweet, smooth, creamy with no fibers. A floral aroma permeated the flesh and fruity nuances floated above the dominant floral notes.

I consulted Plantogram about shipping a tree to Guam and it was $200 just for shipping!!! Mango tree not included! LOL! :o :o :o

That is very expensive, but maybe you could think of it this way: you could sell grafts or fruit from your tree when it is larger, and recoup your losses. :)
✌🏽

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »
Maybye, but I think I won't be able to seel them...I'll eat the mangoes before :) I bought all my trees from Floraexotica which is a great source and I don't need to pay for shipping beause it's located in Montreal. That carrie mango cost 150$ for a 15 gallon tree that is 7 feet tall. I had to prune it. He get his trees from Pine island nursery. He doesn't have Mahachanok mangoes. What bother me is that I know someone on gardenweb bought a mango from POG and shipped it to New york and it cost 30$ of shipping! I live only at 6 hours of New York, but the shipping get to 80$? Tell me why? Plus I have to get a phytosanitary certificate to make it cross the border...It is also 80$.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
Maybye, but I think I won't be able to seel them...I'll eat the mangoes before :) I bought all my trees from Floraexotica which is a great source and I don't need to pay for shipping beause it's located in Montreal. That carrie mango cost 150$ for a 15 gallon tree that is 7 feet tall. I had to prune it. He get his trees from Pine island nursery. He doesn't have Mahachanok mangoes. What bother me is that I know someone on gardenweb bought a mango from POG and shipped it to New york and it cost 30$ of shipping! I live only at 6 hours of New York, but the shipping get to 80$? Tell me why? Plus I have to get a phytosanitary certificate to make it cross the border...It is also 80$.

7 ft. tall and 15 gallons? That's a very big tree! That's good it was able to fit into your garage after some pruning. lol

That's unfortunate that Floraexotica doesn't have Maha Chanok mangoes. Did you ask him if he will be carrying it in the future? Perhaps you could wait it out if he is planning to bring those in at some point in the future.
I'm trying to wait out the novelty of the Maha so the prices will go down in a few years. LOL! Luckily I have a seedling for now, but that is no guarantee of quality. I want the real thing eventually.

Wow! That is a significant price spike! I suspect that politics are involved and hidden charges applied at the border...  I can't imagine why it would more than double in price to cross the border..... Why? I don't know. The Phyto cert is very pricey as well... So expensive!  :'(
✌🏽

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22:14 AM »
Yea I Know...I did I ask and said he would try to find some time this month to talk with the owner. He said that he will only order from Plantogram if they offer wholesale prices. I was surprise when seeing my tree. It was suppose to be 6 feet tall!! With pruning and putting some weight on the branches it become 5 feet tall. My garage is really high also, about 12 feet high.