Author Topic: Z4 Jaboticaba parentage  (Read 1400 times)

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
Z4 Jaboticaba parentage
« on: January 28, 2019, 02:44:51 AM »
Can anybody advise on the Z4 jaboticaba parentage and origin as I've heard it's a hybrid but also a few people
are saying it's a renamed Red Hybrid.Any information would be helpful thanks

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: Z4 Jaboticaba parentage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:59:36 AM »
Can anybody advise on the Z4 jaboticaba parentage and origin as I've heard it's a hybrid but also a few people
are saying it's a renamed Red Hybrid.Any information would be helpful thanks

Heard was repackaged name of existing variety.  Heard on plinia fb page

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
Thanks palologrower but does anyone else have any info  ?

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 02:48:26 PM »
 "Eduardo Jardim I think Z4 is only a "new" name used by a certain seller in Brazil for the regular hybrid (red a.k.a. precocious) jaboticaba which was originally grown in the Vilela's jaboticaba farm. The farms registers showed that it was originally brought from Espagnol nurseries (in 1974), one of the first sellers in Brazil for red/hybrid/precocious. It seems that this same Brazilian jabo seed seller first used the name "vermelha Vilela" for Z4, before it became evident that "vermelha Vilela" and "red/hybrid/precoce" were identical. Antonio Luiz Morschbacker, Plinia Prince and many other friends worldwide, you know well what I'm talking about..."

from the fb post from 3wks ago.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:11:07 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25980.msg303738#msg303738

This is a tasting report from Oscar of Fruitlovers.com

I thought it was interesting that the comparison was made between flavor or scarlet and red, but nothing about the Z4 being similar to the red.

I have been reading all the same message boards and part of me is hoping that the z4 that I have is different from the hundreds of red trees I have, but only time will tell. I can say that the immature tree, leaves and bark all look a lot like the red, but I'll just keep waiting. I wouldn't bet the farm on the Z4 variety in case it turns out to be a red by a different name or otherwise a dud.

My personal theory (which has no supporting evidence) is that it may be a selection from a choice red tree.

I have a handful of fruiting reds and can say for sure that some are much better than others. Some of the trees never get as sweet of fruits as others, some have fruits that are much sweeter and can be eater at earlier stages of ripeness. I have started to propagate my best trees to sell in my nursery.

Hope you find some more solid info in the future.

John