Author Topic: Mango tasting in La Habra CA September 11  (Read 18646 times)

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tasting in La Habra CA September 11
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
Nice Pictures and a great report Gary..:)
Love that Lemon zest..:) Paulito is really pretty! How did it taste?

Looking forward to the seeing MangoProfessor on the grafting video..:)
Thank you for sharing.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
...yes it is Harry - after the first two mentioned, the next five (l-r) are:  Ashok, JF, Leo, Gary (MDog) and Jim....I think JF was kind of doing it in 2 loose rows....for a VERY loose group of old farts!!!!!   ::)  Nah...really nice guys.... JF's son took the picture and engaged in the contest making it 8 participants...  Also, the second picture, those local seedlings that JF had just swiped (with owner permission....I think!!!!) were not ripe so we could not taste them - the gorgeous Poulitos, Red Manilas, the larger Manilitas, Tundidor,and the 3 little "Tomato" mangoes (as I named them  :P) looked rather intriguing sitting on the table

After everyone had arrived, JF gave a tour of his yard to those who hadn't seen it before.  He sure does have a lot of varieties of mango, avocado, cherimoya, peaches, etc. packed into his not-so-large front and backyard.  Everything looked very healthy.  In fact, he has plans to very soon, pull out a bunch of plants to make room for the more sacred ones he wishes to keep and grow

Anyway,  this non-blind taste test, based on the 4 categories of Color, Fiber, Taste and Aroma (with scores from 1-5, except taste which we weighted 1-10, with the higher number being the better quality) yielded these highly unscientific results, listed best to lowest score.  All were grown by JF except where noted:

Malika
Lemon Zest
Spirit of 76
Kent
Alphonso
Haden
Glenn
Kensington Pride (from Leo's seedling tree)
Valencia Pride (from Florida)
Thomson (from Leo's seedling)
Keitt ? (Leo's - he felt this might not be one, but the rest of us thought it probably was)
Tomato (local seeding, unnamed)
Tundidor (local seedling)

Next year I think we will have blind tests, so there will no advantage to reputation, color, etc.  Also, as always at these kinds of affairs, there will be some mangoes under and overripe, which was the case, allowing the judges an inferior product with which to rate.  One other note, BestDay and I were the toughest judges for the most part, often yielding scores of 12,10 or even less, where Jim and Leo tended to score higher, often in the high teens and twenties, making the scoring probably quite representative of their overall appeal.  And amazingly, with a couple of the lesser known to unknown varieties, the scores showed a wide range......which just goes to show you, there really is no standard or norm for subjectivity!  There simply isn't....

After the tasting, the Mango Professor (Tim), gave a demonstration of a grafting method he developed using all three methods of cleft,butt and veneer.  Ashok shot a video of it and will send to me and I'll post it here in the forum. It was rather brilliant (I thought) as it exposes the graft to twice as much cambium layer as a normal graft.

Tim also showed us how to...what's the word.....cultivate  scions by taking failed flower stems of the mango tree, removing the dead stem as well as all the leaves down about 8 inches from the end and then waiting a couple weeks for the nutrients to be sent into the nodes of those cut-off leaves to swell, making them very advantageous for grafting - Ashok also took a video of this which I'll post at some point.

Tim also said that one of the ten new mango varieties he has recently developed (which are currently in the patenting process I Believe) actually survived field trials in Camarillo, CA, with overnight temps down to 25 degrees Fahrenheit! with no protection!  I thought that was pretty amazing. That variety is called the Antonio mango, which you can see on his website.  I know he won't mind if I link it here:  http://www.socalplantbreeders.com/#!ventura-county-star-august-04-2013/cd5b

Afterwards,  Jf gave a tour of the local neighborhood mango "scene" to  Leo and Jim, having driven the Professor around prior to the start of the tasting event.....the rest of us having already paid and participated in the half hour nickel tour.

So that was it for 2013 as far as larger SoCal mango  tastings.  cuban007 might have a few things to sample at some point.  Yes, Behl, you missed a large variety of the sweet stuff, Ethan you too, and sorry to anyone else from the area who couldn't make it.  There's always next year folks.  I'll be having mine in August again most likely, and this one probably about the same time as this year, depending on weather of course!

Gary

I like to correct of few things in Gary's report.
The VP and Kent are from ft Myers. The la Habra seedling were donated to us. The seedling with a pink flush is Paulito and the large red one is Manolito.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »
Wow that looks like a great taste testing. I would also like to participate next year if possible. Malika, lemon zest and spirit of 76 were the top dogs? I was not aware that there were so many varieties available in Cali. I would be interesting in trading some mango scion wood for other plants if anyone is interested. I have lots of seedlings I want to graft to better varieties. I am growing manila, miracle, "Taiwanese", alphanso, and haden.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
Wow that looks like a great taste testing. I would also like to participate next year if possible. Malika, lemon zest and spirit of 76 were the top dogs? I was not aware that there were so many varieties available in Cali. I would be interesting in trading some mango scion wood for other plants if anyone is interested. I have lots of seedlings I want to graft to better varieties. I am growing manila, miracle, "Taiwanese", alphanso, and haden.

Gary(Mdog) and I will have a mega mango tasting in august next year so we can accommodate 10-12 people. We hope we can persuade other mango growers in SoCal with later ripening seasons to hold one in September and October. Between us we have over 20 varieties and we will be adding some more. I have miracle mango aka choc anon ripening right now they are sweet but not much more going on with that variety.

Murray, I saw that you grow mamey and guanabana in your greenhouse have they fruited for you??

EddieMunozep

• Lake Elsinore, Ca. USDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »
Hi there, so all those mangos were locally grown?

Anything similar happening in north san Diego County?

Great pics
Eddie from El Paso, Texas

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
Yes, Eddie - locally grown except where noted...

Green Thumb - the Paulito was not ripe, so it did not get tasted...

JF - if you can let Ashok know that if he sends me that video i can post
it here on the forum....thanks amigo.....

Gary

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 04:33:44 AM »
JK - I just got the Miracle mango, was hoping it was going to be a good one and got sold on the idea that it has multiple sets of fruits. Sad to hear its not too tasty
Last year when I left for china, I had a mamey tree that was covered with fruit. I dont know what happened to it but I think the person I had you helped me take care of it part time might have killed it. I have others that should be close to flowering and I have a Pouteria hypogluaca that looks like it has at least one fruit still growing on it. Most of my other pouterias have not set yet, but hopefully that will change soon(have a spanish cherry that is flowering, flowering sapodillas, flowering black sapotes, and others). I have only fruited cherimoya in greenhouse and this is its first year with fruit. There was a fruiting tree of soursop at cal poly pomona in their biotreck greenhouse along with cacao and a few others.

In Santa Monica farmers market where I work every Wens-day there is a farmer that grows mangos in the salton sea area. She sells valencia pride and Keits*(might be kents) and I have to say that the valencia pride mangos that they sell are the best I have tried in Cali.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »
JK - I just got the Miracle mango, was hoping it was going to be a good one and got sold on the idea that it has multiple sets of fruits. Sad to hear its not too tasty
Last year when I left for china, I had a mamey tree that was covered with fruit. I dont know what happened to it but I think the person I had you helped me take care of it part time might have killed it. I have others that should be close to flowering and I have a Pouteria hypogluaca that looks like it has at least one fruit still growing on it. Most of my other pouterias have not set yet, but hopefully that will change soon(have a spanish cherry that is flowering, flowering sapodillas, flowering black sapotes, and others). I have only fruited cherimoya in greenhouse and this is its first year with fruit. There was a fruiting tree of soursop at cal poly pomona in their biotreck greenhouse along with cacao and a few others.

In Santa Monica farmers market where I work every Wens-day there is a farmer that grows mangos in the salton sea area. She sells valencia pride and Keits*(might be kents) and I have to say that the valencia pride mangos that they sell are the best I have tried in Cali.

Murray, too bad about your mamey. I had Wong's VP and Keitt in Santa Monica a few years ago.

Gary, Ashok will be in contact with you.

here are some pics of my crammed yard..

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:43:00 PM by JF »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 06:29:57 PM »
Murray - that would be Wong's farms at the Northshore of the Salton Sea.
BestDay was just there not 3 weeks ago and picked up a box.  But she,
I forget her first name, will not give tours.  Some of these ops are very
secretive, probably to not encourage thieves....    :P

And I can confirm - JF's yard is a lesson is Plant density!!!!!!!

;D

Dog of the Mango

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:24 PM »
Murray - that would be Wong's farms at the Northshore of the Salton Sea.
BestDay was just there not 3 weeks ago and picked up a box.  But she,
I forget her first name, will not give tours.  Some of these ops are very
secretive, probably to not encourage thieves....    :P

And I can confirm - JF's yard is a lesson is Plant density!!!!!!!

;D

Dog of the Mango

Gary, had a small tasting with some of the mangos left. Here is how they placed:  Malika, Paulito, Manolito, Choc Anon, Red Manila and VP came in last.

Malika won again( best mango i've had this year) Paulito had edwardesque taste little spice complex and very very fruity totally fiberless.  Manolito was a little bruised but it had little fiber and the full mango taste....the two La Habra locals are definately worth propagating. Red Manila had a nice mild sweet flavor with no fiber totally different than the red Manila from Tustin that you had.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 01:57:29 AM »
JF, how was the Ice Cream mango I left you?  I still haven't tried one.  But I do have one ripening on the counter as I type.

Bill

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »
JF, how was the Ice Cream mango I left you?  I still haven't tried one.  But I do have one ripening on the counter as I type.

Bill

Bill,it will be ready tomorrow. I really like Ice Cream mango so it should be a nice treat.

I had a tomato mango this morning quite a unique tasting mango....I really enjoyed it. Jim and Leo are lucky to have scion.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
Looks like a bromance to me, tropical style.  ;)

Thanks for sharing.  I've got a Mallika coming next week via Pine Island.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
Looks like a bromance to me, tropical style.  ;)

Thanks for sharing.  I've got a Mallika coming next week via Pine Island.

Thanks Mark. You will really enjoy the Malika it's an incredible mango! I leave it on the tree until it colors up and then let it ripe in the fruit bowl.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »
Thanks Mark. You will really enjoy the Malika it's an incredible mango! I leave it on the tree until it colors up and then let it ripe in the fruit bowl.

Appreciate the info JF!  Notes taken.  I'm excited.

BTW, had a nice conversation with a friend of yours at Pine Island who spoke very highly of you - Martha.   Keep up the good work!

While I have your attention, do you think spacing a Pickering and a Mallika about 6' apart is pushing it?  Jim at Pine Is. thinks so, but you seem to cram your trees in like me so I wanted your opinion.   They're going into a large greenhouse but after these 2 mangoes go in...... this house is now fully occupied.  ;) (Also have citrus and avocados in the ground in the greenhouse.)

Best,
Mark 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:30:04 PM by Mark in Texas »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »

BTW, had a nice conversation with a friend of yours at Pine Island who spoke very highly of you - Martha.   Keep up the good work!

While I have your attention, do you think spacing a Pickering and a Mallika about 6' apart is pushing it?  Jim at Pine Is. thinks so, but you seem to cram your trees in like me so I wanted your opinion.   They're going into a large greenhouse but after these 2 mangoes go in...... this house is now fully occupied.  ;) (Also have citrus and avocados in the ground in the greenhouse.)

Best,
Mark

Yes Martha is a sweetheart...I didnt get a chance to see her on my visit to Miami last week.

Six feet is pushing it but if you dont have a choice what can you do...doesnt hurt to try. I have my Pickering 4' apart from my LZ. Mango trees grow very slowly here in Socal compare to Miami and if you keep them under 8' you should be ok you will still get plenty of fruits. here is a pic of my Pickering that I put in the ground 2 monthas ago infront of the LZ. and to the right about 8' is my Glenn.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »

Best,
Mark

Mark, six feet is a piece of cake. You should see how I have mine planted.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the pics and ratings. It's great to know there are fine mangos growing in California.  If Florida falls into the ocean I plan to float on over your way.

Cuban007,  have you posted pictures of your mango trees as spaced?  I think we'd be interested in your technique.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 11:06:20 PM »
Thanks for the pics and ratings. It's great to know there are fine mangos growing in California.  If Florida falls into the ocean I plan to float on over your way.

Cuban007,  have you posted pictures of your mango trees as spaced?  I think we'd be interested in your technique.

Thanks mangomandan come on down to SoCal especially during cherimoya and mandarin season in the winter.

Cuban007, you got to break out and show the world your unbelievable collection!!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice fellas and sharing that photo JF!

Martha also fondly called  you  her friend Cuban007.  We were talking about this website and names popped up.  Looks like it's a pretty tight knit community.   

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
Yes, Danny boy....we can grow mangoes here but I still think your climate is better for growth, faster that is.....now as far as HEAT - I beat you all out here in the desert, and I'm waiting to see how that affects all the different varieties as we go forward.....

plus if I can do a little horn tooting - our mangeos don't have as many black spots as yours do!

:o

Anthracnose, the constant companion........and yes, Dan,we'll let you  float on in, accesorizing with mango colors of course.....and good luck Texas Mark!

Gary

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2013, 08:08:49 PM »

Thanks mangomandan come on down to SoCal especially during cherimoya and mandarin season in the winter.

Cuban007, you got to break out and show the world your unbelievable collection!!

Here is a small peek of a small part of my on going project.

Maybe next year when things look better I will do a video of the whole collection. I am still testing different fertilizer, fertilizer schedules, and tracking the results. Showing it with pics will be very tedious.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:14:01 PM by cuban007 »

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice fellas and sharing that photo JF!

Martha also fondly called  you  her friend Cuban007.  We were talking about this website and names popped up.  Looks like it's a pretty tight knit community.

Martha is great. She has helped me find a lot of plants that I have been looking for. She knows a lot of people in the business.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:15:08 PM by cuban007 »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »

Here is a small peek of a small part of my on going project.

Maybe next year when things look better I will do a video of the whole collection. I am still testing different fertilizer, fertilizer schedules, and tracking the results. Showing it with pics will be very tedious.

Wow!!! Now that's a field of mangos!! These trees are growing by the minutes! I just saw them three weeks ago and they have a new flush! Congratulations on a job well done my friend!!!!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 11:47:23 PM »
Very nice trees I like your close lay out, everything looks healthy and happy!!Great job thanks for posting.