Author Topic: 'Providence' Mango  (Read 6034 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
'Providence' Mango
« on: April 02, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »
Here is a pic of the original 'Providence' Mango tree. It was a chance seedling from Walter Zill's grove. He believes it has 'Kent' parentage, though was just a guess as this seedling sprouted from a pile of rubbish on the back of his old 'Kent' grove before it was top worked over. It has much slower growing habit though Walter would not call it a dwarf by any means. This is a late-season mango, that gets very large, on  par with a 'Kent'  if not better..

Pic from last years 2.5lb mango: 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:16:38 AM by mikesid »

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: 'Providence' Mango
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
Mike,
How late, July/August? Does it go beyond August?
Thank you!

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
Mike,
How late, July/August? Does it go beyond August?
Thank you!
Berto, the last one I got from Walter was at the end of the first week in August...he still had more hanging on the tree and was keeping them for himself as he really likes these...they do need to be picked at the correct time, a little green I believe and be aloud to ripen up for up to a week maybe more as far as I remember..

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »
Mike, did you get a copy of the "Providence" story from Walter? He gave me one last year on the "Pickering" that was cool.  With his permission I posted the "Pickering" story awhile back..

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2112.msg39222#msg39222

natsgarden123

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »
Mike, did you get a copy of the "Providence" story from Walter? He gave me one last year on the "Pickering" that was cool.  With his permission I posted the "Pickering" story awhile back..

thanks for posting this

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
Providence is a large mango, similar in size to a large Keitt.  It can be picked mature green or with some color, tastes best when picked with some color however it may have some issues if left on the tree too long.  Flavor, to me, is like a perfectly ripe Kent crossed with a perfectly ripe Keitt.  Tree seems to be a compact grower (not saying it is a dwarf but a compact growth habit.  It is not a vigorous grower and I dont feel it will make a large tree when fully mature).

I do know the story behind Providence but have been asked not to disclose at this time.  That may change in the coming future.
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
Here is a pic of the original 'Providence' Mango tree. It was a chance seedling from Walter Zill's grove. He believes it has 'Kent' parentage, though was just a guess as this seedling sprouted from a pile of rubbish on the back of his old 'Kent' grove before it was top worked over. It has much slower growing habit though Walter would not call it a dwarf by any means. This is a late-season mango, that gets very large, on  par with a 'Kent'  if not better..

Pic from last years 2.5lb mango: 

The stage of ripeness of the Providence in this picture would do better if left on the tree a little longer.  I was eating them in July through September.  I have eaten them when picked at all stages, dark marure green, light mature green, with some light yellow color and with at least half to three quarters color.  The flavor and texture was by far the best when picked with at least some color turn on the shoulders.
- Rob

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »

That Pickering story is cool...thanks for the link...Walter gave me the history of the Providence in a conversation one afternoon...amazing story, amazing man...These Zill's got their mangos down to a science.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:27:04 PM »
He gave printed copies of the story to about 7 out of town visitors last summer and it was mentioned that the story would be posted on the forum.  My copy was lost.

It had something to do with a house fire caused by a lightening strike that had been predicted by a household assistant that saved Walters mothers life (Dorothy or DOT) many years ago on a date that would later coincide with the first fruiting of the tree.  A date that was considered a "providential" historic date.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
That tree is full of baby fruit !

Ed..
Zone 10

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »

That Pickering story is cool...thanks for the link...Walter gave me the history of the Providence in a conversation one afternoon...amazing story, amazing man...These Zill's got their mangos down to a science.

Walter is a really neat guy. My wife Zena buys honey from him often, sometimes from the nursery, other times from him.  He will talk with her for an hour or more at times.  I enjoy the names and stories behind them, they really provide depth and purpose, kind of a "classic" old world process, something that seems to have faded in recent years..

natsgarden123

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:17:42 PM »

Walter is a really neat guy. My wife Zena buys honey from him often, sometimes from the nursery, other times from him.  He will talk with her for an hour or more at times.  I enjoy the names and stories behind them, they really provide depth and purpose, kind of a "classic" old world process, something that seems to have faded in recent years..

And he really likes to chat for sure.....