Author Topic: Display Table at Best of Both Worlds Farm Visit  (Read 5256 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Display Table at Best of Both Worlds Farm Visit
« on: October 02, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »
Today there was a farm visit to my place by folks from CRFG and HTFG in conjunction with the conference. I didn't count but i guess around 100 people came to visit. Fortunately i took these photos of fruits i had just picked for the display table before the big crowd came:

Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Display Table at Best of Both Worlds Farm Visit
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
That's one heck of a fruit stand, Oscar!

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
Great Photos. Such a wide selection of fruit.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »
Very nice display of fruit!  Lucky Conference members!  :)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »
Wow, quite a spread there Oscar!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
Wish I was there!  Great specimens and of course, amazing variety! Well done.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »
Great display, Oscar! I hope you had a wonderful time.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
What variety of Santol is that Oscar? Never seen a Santol, so I'm impressed by its size. And your Rollinias are different. Are they different varieties?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
Who needs Garden of Eden ?  ::) I guess Hawaii is the new Babylonia  ;D

Beauitiful
Moh'd

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »
Nice display of fruit, Oscar.  Sorry I missed it.  Originally, it sounded like we could visit you and hear the speakers but in the end, we had to choose.  Since I live here, it made sense to try to catch the speaklers...

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Nice display of fruit, Oscar.  Sorry I missed it.  Originally, it sounded like we could visit you and hear the speakers but in the end, we had to choose.  Since I live here, it made sense to try to catch the speaklers...

John

I had to miss the speakers myself because yes they scheduled the conference in Hilo at same time as visit to my farm.  ??? :(  Because the conference was combined with a cruise ship tour the timing was super tight.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »
What variety of Santol is that Oscar? Never seen a Santol, so I'm impressed by its size. And your Rollinias are different. Are they different varieties?

They are seedlings from Bangkok type. Some of them are quite large. I will probably do a separate post about them with photos. The trees gave heavy fruiting for first time. I have a 50 pound lug box full of them in back of my truck right now that i have to figure out what to do with.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 07:18:48 PM »
Today there was a farm visit to my place by folks from CRFG and HTFG in conjunction with the conference. I didn't count but i guess around 100 people came to visit. Fortunately i took these photos of fruits i had just picked for the display table before the big crowd came:

Truly a great spread.  I have two complaints.  One, the overview is nice, but some of the labels are not readable from the angle of the shot.  Two, I am not there to try some of these fruits.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
what is the dark large fruit under the star fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
what is the dark large fruit under the star fruit?

Pachira insignis.
Harry if you have any specific questions will gladly answer.
Oscar

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 12:36:13 AM »
Wow! Impressive :)
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
I am no idea how  I missed this invitation.  Mercy, that looks good.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 03:35:21 PM »
Great tour Oscar. I guess I was the first to arrive but I had so little sleep the night before that I napped in the car until more people showed up.

I was the guy with the video camera. CRFG San Diego wanted me to record as much as I could so people that didn't go could get a glimpse of what they missed. Unfortunately it meant I didn't explore or socialize as much a I would have. There were other good experts there: Chris Rollins, Jim West, Japanese expert that grows tropicals up north in greenhouses...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
Great tour Oscar. I guess I was the first to arrive but I had so little sleep the night before that I napped in the car until more people showed up.

I was the guy with the video camera. CRFG San Diego wanted me to record as much as I could so people that didn't go could get a glimpse of what they missed. Unfortunately it meant I didn't explore or socialize as much a I would have. There were other good experts there: Chris Rollins, Jim West, Japanese expert that grows tropicals up north in greenhouses...
Was that you and wife in little red rental car? Sorry i didn't get a chance to talk with you. Would love to see your video.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 06:26:48 PM »
Hi Oscar. Yes that was us. Your mosquitoes were too friendly that we had to keep the engine on and use the AC during the nap.

I think Emory Walton will put the videos on the CRFG website a little later. I got video of Jim West's talk on Ecuador fruits and Roger Meyer on going around the world to try different fruits.

We only went to Oahu and Hilo. I wanted to see the USDA collection but I thought that Dr. Zee would be there to point out the lychee varieties. Maybe he wasn't there because of the shutdown. The state people were there for the tour and the tropical fruit experts were able to identify and talk about the ones we saw.

Somehow I thought Ken Love's tour was that day but he's actually on the other side of the island.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
Hi Oscar. Yes that was us. Your mosquitoes were too friendly that we had to keep the engine on and use the AC during the nap.

I think Emory Walton will put the videos on the CRFG website a little later. I got video of Jim West's talk on Ecuador fruits and Roger Meyer on going around the world to try different fruits.

We only went to Oahu and Hilo. I wanted to see the USDA collection but I thought that Dr. Zee would be there to point out the lychee varieties. Maybe he wasn't there because of the shutdown. The state people were there for the tour and the tropical fruit experts were able to identify and talk about the ones we saw.

Somehow I thought Ken Love's tour was that day but he's actually on the other side of the island.

OK thanks. Please let me know when the videos are up on the CRFG site. Lucky most of the experimental station is run by the state, only partly by the feds, or it would have been all closed for the tour. Yes Ken lives on the Kona side.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »

The USDA station was shut down so the tour only included the UH-Hilo fruit station.

The presentations on the Kona side were a bit of a disappointment -- the exact same presentations as the Hilo side, at least for the first three.  Unfortunately, I had to take off before the 4th, Roger's Meyer's presentation on jujube's (which would have been different from the Hilo talks) -- it can be a long miserable ride over saddle road if it is rainy and foggy so I didn't want to be leaving Kona after 9 pm when Roger would have been finishing.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 11:29:23 PM »
I think the presentations were repeated on each island, and on Kona, so that people in Hawaii no matter where they are located could catch the whole conference.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk