Author Topic: Pedalai in SFL  (Read 3098 times)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Pedalai in SFL
« on: October 19, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »

It's been three years, I'm up to 6 branches and finally seeing some adult leaves!!

And for all you that think I'm crazy...I'm putting 20 ft poles around the tree before this winter starts to make it easier to cover.

I'm gonna fruit this in SFL or die trying
- David Antonio Garcia

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: Pedalai in SFL
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:11:12 PM »
I believe in you man

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »
Rooting for you! haha rooting get it? Is the tree from seed?Around what temp will you cover your Pedalai?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:51:39 AM by Marsbars »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:01:36 AM »

It's been three years, I'm up to 6 branches and finally seeing some adult leaves!!

And for all you that think I'm crazy...I'm putting 20 ft poles around the tree before this winter starts to make it easier to cover.

I'm gonna fruit this in SFL or die trying

You sound determined! Good, it will take that kind of determination to fruit Pedalai in SW Florida. I believe Adolph Grimal had a large Pedalai tree on his land on the Keys, but can't remember if it ever fruited?
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:14:22 AM »
It is from seed. Any drop below 50 degrees Fahrenheit  cover it, but since temps ping pong in Sfl that means I am have to cover and unconver I about 5-6 times a winter.

Last year I had a far less professional operation than I will this year, the tree got beat up but made it through with out die back. This year once the poles are up it's gonna get a perfect enclosure with a space heater and everything.
- David Antonio Garcia

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:26:23 AM »
Oscar, two questions. What are the the round leaves called? True leaves! Adult leaves?

Also, have you ever heard of anyone grafting pedalai? I have some extra dug dug I'm thinking of hedging my bets
- David Antonio Garcia

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:23:07 AM »
I have a couple small seedlings that just sprouted recently.  I got the seeds free from Maurice Kong, so i have no vested interest.   I may end up trading them or something, since I already have a few other plants that will need pampering.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »
Maurice Kong!  How is he these days?  Bought a couple of things from him in the '90s along with guys like Ed Kraujulis (Mangosteen Man)...

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 02:48:11 PM »
He is doing well, i suppose.  I saw him at the fruit conference this summer.  He is pushing the hell out of these high-tech pruners.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:45 PM »
Oscar, two questions. What are the the round leaves called? True leaves! Adult leaves?

Also, have you ever heard of anyone grafting pedalai? I have some extra dug dug I'm thinking of hedging my bets

I suppose they would be called adult leaves, as opposed to juvenille shaped leaves. Grafting should be possible on itself: pedalai rootstock, but don't know about dug dug as that is a totally different species from pedalai. Dug dug is closer to breadfruit.
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »
Ya I know they are different I thought that maybe it would be possible or that at least someone would've tried
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »
Ya I know they are different I thought that maybe it would be possible or that at least someone would've tried

I doubt anyone has tried to graft pedalai onto dug dug (Artocarpus marianensis), just because the second is very difficult to get a hold of. Perhaps it has been tried on breadfruit, which is a lot more common? My guess is that it wouldn't work as they are quite different in form.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk