Author Topic: Jabo sprouting question - need some help  (Read 1870 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Jabo sprouting question - need some help
« on: June 25, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
So I tried to start some jabo seeds (Otto Anderson and Grimal).

I started with fresh nice seeds that said, plant me, plant me.  I planted in a rich mix and kept moist and in humid conditions by covering the pot with some clear plastic and set by a south facing window.  Then I waited and watched.

Its been one month and I don't see what I was expecting.  A little green sprout pushing.  Note "green", it will become relevant later.

I see nothing in the one pot and some roots coming out the bottom of the pot in the other.

The pot with the roots has this supper thin plants emerging - see image below.
They are not green, they are super thin, some shade of brown to maroon, I think they may be something in my soil mix but am hoping one of you will say, "of course, %$#@ head, that is an Otto sprouting!"

I am gearing up to have a second go at starting these and want some advice from experienced folks on the forum.  What is my best strategy to germinate and grow jabo seeds?  What starting mixes, when does it go in the soil, etc. etc.  I will read every post and will consider all suggestions (and them do the simplest :) )

Encouragement wont be scoffed at either and by the way, share a photo of yours if you have any of jabo sprouts.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Jabo sprouting question - need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »
I think that's it. Between Eugenias and Myrciarias, the emerging stems on mine have been very thin and either brown or green. Just make sure not to water too much. They can be quite susceptible to damping off disease.

Here's a pic of my Otto Anderson jabo seedlings. Seeds courtesy of Jabomano.:D I got them in early spring and they are doing pretty well. 2/3 germinated for me.
Anisha

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
It looks like you have a jaboticaba sprouting. It should put out some tiny leaves, but that is what mine have looked like historically. I have sprouted in straight peat, or peat based mixes. It's mostly just a waiting game 1-2 months.
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »
I have 17 branca vinho seeds germinating in damp potting soil in pots now. I don't see any progress yet.
Last year I took red jabo seeds and left them in damp vermiculite in a closed plastic bag. They sprouted
real good and then I planted and they still took a while to push. I had a good percentage of them overall
end up pushing and becoming nice small seedlings. I still have 2 going strong and I gave away a bunch.
I wish I would have left half of these news seeds in a bag but now its too late I am not going to mess with them.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
ziplock bag with a damp paper towel and leave it somewhere warm but no sun....if you have heating mat that's best....I put it on my external hard drive :) once you see roots come out put it in a pot. 

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 04:48:05 PM »
Damn. You lucky. I too purchased 3 Otto seeds as well come months back and they didn't sprout :(.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:05:30 PM »
Damn. You lucky. I too purchased 3 Otto seeds as well come months back and they didn't sprout :(.
Aw mannn.. I use peat moss or coco husk, and very carefully monitor how much water I use. I try to only use distilled water. Damping off and chlorosis have been a bugger for me in the past mainly. But with trial and error, I can now prevent it better. :)
Anisha

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »
Lost em.
Just disappeared.
I kept the soil moist but did not water every day.

Perhaps it was still too wet.

I will have to try again.

Otto Anderson and Grimal again.
Interested if you have seed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk