Author Topic: Is horticultural oil safe for citrus  (Read 5553 times)

Mtlgirl

• Canada
    • View Profile
Is horticultural oil safe for citrus
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have some issues with spider mites on my lemon tree. Is it safe to apply horticultural oil to kill the pests? I am a little bit worried because someone at Home Depot said that it will kill my tree. Outdoor temperature is around 80F and I will put my tree under shade for a couple of days to protect it from sunburn. The brand is Green Earth.
If it’s not safe, I could use another product called End All. Which product is more effective against mites? I don’t have access to neem oil because I live in Canada.

Thank you

daytripper

• Long Island, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Is horticultural oil safe for citrus
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
It is fine to use as long as the tree is not left in the sun after application.  Spray it in the evening and you will be ok.

Mtlgirl

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:56:40 PM »
Thank you daytripper for your answer. I forgot to mention that my lemon tree has flower buds and some fruits. Does it matter? Thank you

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
Mtlgirl,  If the flowers are still tightly closed, a spray with a good horticultural oil will not be a problem.  However, NEVER EVER foliar spray anything when a citrus flower has opened.  I have never heard of the two HO oils you mentioned in your above post.  I use one called Ultrapure HO.  I use it at the rate of 40 grams HO per gallon water.  The best to you and your trees.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:48:13 PM »
Millet, do you use neem oil? If not, why not?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:12:44 PM »
Vlad, actually I have never used neem oil even once.  I have nothing against neem oil, I suppose it works well.  Using HO, I only have to purchase one chemical.  HO provides excellent results against spider mites, aphids, mealy bugs,  scale, and white fly eggs.  I suppose neem oil would work just as well, as it also has a good reputation.  I just do not like the smell of neem.  Either one could well be used.

Mtlgirl

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:38:39 PM »
Millet, I have some flower buds that are starting to open. If I understand correctly I will need to wait for them to develop small fruitlets before I can spray the horticultural oil right?
Also, I bought the concentrate version. Can I mix it in advance and store it for a couple days?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:38:26 AM by Mtlgirl »

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 05:57:35 AM »
>  I suppose neem oil would work just as well, as it also has a good reputation.
It is true for garden plants but not for citrus. On citrus, problems like defoliation or burned leaves have often been reported.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
Sylvain, thanks for your clarification on neem oil as a citrus spray.  Like I wrote, I have never used it. 

Mtlgirl, I would be very cautious spraying HO or anything if the tree's flowers are opening. I would not foliar spray while the flowers are open or even opening.  By the way does Mtlgirl stand for Mountain girl?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 07:08:06 PM »
I just applied horticultural oil to my trees today.   It was cloudy and rainy all day so no worries about sun.  Some trees had open flowers, but I am willing to accept a loss of crop to prevent severe damage from scale infestation that I saw on some trees.

Mtlgirl

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 06:22:15 AM »
Millet, mtl stands for Montreal, a city on the east coast of Canada where I came from! The main language there is French which explains by poor English.

Do you know the reason why it’s safe to use the hort oil on fruits but not on flowers? Is it because it will prevent fruit set?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 10:24:26 PM »
Mtlgirl, the answer to your question concerning HO, no it is because HO actually kills an open citrus flower when sprayed on it, therefore that flower cannot produce its fruit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:28:35 PM by Millet »

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
Most HO labels that I have read mention that it may delay color set on citrus if used late in season.  Has anyone had a problem with this?

TFN

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
Sylvain, thanks for your clarification on neem oil as a citrus spray.  Like I wrote, I have never used it. 

Mtlgirl, I would be very cautious spraying HO or anything if the tree's flowers are opening. I would not foliar spray while the flowers are open or even opening.  By the way does Mtlgirl stand for Mountain girl?
I have used neem oil in Perth western australia.......the strange thing is......they recommend it for ornamental trees here but not for citrus but in nz they say its fine for citrus...............we have a big problem with citrus leafminer over here.....I have tried pest oil/eco oil and it doesnt work........they coat the leaf but the miner still get in.....the neem is a bit different....it coats the leaf but it also soaks into the leaf ....killing the bug as well........it doesnt offer 100 % protection but i find its the best i can do.........I usually spray early eve around 6pm and every 14 days..........Spring is nearly here and all my trees are putting out spring flush..........last year the miner turned up early.....they are supposed to come summer time.......i hope they stay away this year....so i can get that spring growth to maturity .....will need to start spraying soon.........the only one i dont spray is the kaffer lime because i use the leaves for cooking on that one.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 01:46:43 AM »
Laidbackdood, problem with your keyboard?

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 10:15:02 AM »
no.....i always write like that  ;D

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
Does the number of points after each phrase mean something, or it is just random?
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »

I have used neem oil in Perth western australia.......the strange thing is......they recommend it for ornamental trees here but not for citrus but in nz they say its fine for citrus...............we have a big problem with citrus leafminer over here.....I have tried pest oil/eco oil and it doesnt work........they coat the leaf but the miner still get in.....the neem is a bit different....it coats the leaf but it also soaks into the leaf ....killing the bug as well........it doesnt offer 100 % protection but i find its the best i can do.........I usually spray early eve around 6pm and every 14 days..........Spring is nearly here and all my trees are putting out spring flush..........last year the miner turned up early.....they are supposed to come summer time.......i hope they stay away this year....so i can get that spring growth to maturity .....will need to start spraying soon.........the only one i dont spray is the kaffer lime because i use the leaves for cooking on that one.
[/quote]

LDB, Neem is an organic extract that is widely used in the cosmetic industry to be applied topically. Also, it is approved to be ingested for certain ailments (perceived or not, I'm not sure). It is harmless to mammals and other vertebrates (lizards, frogs, birds and the like).  I've read it isn't the best for fish (not fatal but slightly deleterious) so keep it out of ponds and streams. In other words, no need to withhold neem from your kaffir lime because even if you ingested a little bit it could be good for you!  So spray neem without concern on your foodstuffs. (Clearly, as with everything, moderation is paramount.)
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »

Sounds good to me ! ..Thanks

LDB, Neem is an organic extract that is widely used in the cosmetic industry to be applied topically. Also, it is approved to be ingested for certain ailments (perceived or not, I'm not sure). It is harmless to mammals and other vertebrates (lizards, frogs, birds and the like).  I've read it isn't the best for fish (not fatal but slightly deleterious) so keep it out of ponds and streams. In other words, no need to withhold neem from your kaffir lime because even if you ingested a little bit it could be good for you!  So spray neem without concern on your foodstuffs. (Clearly, as with everything, moderation is paramount.)
[/quote]

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »
The label for Parafine Horticultural Oil states that:  If second application of oil is necessary, do not apply within six weeks after first oil spray
https://southernag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Parafine-oil.pdf

Triple action Neem oil is most effective when sprayed every 7 to 14 days.
https://southernag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/NEEM-BKLT.pdf

Wisner

• Southwest Louisiana zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 09:56:07 PM »
This man I listen to on the radio recommends to alternate spraying Neem oil and Spinosad for leafminers on citrus.
http://www.randylemmon.com/insectsdiseases/gardenline-leafminer.html

CanadaGrower

• Vancouver, BC, Canada Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 01:13:36 AM »
I too, have used neem oil very recently with positive results. I'm not sure why so many people out there are reporting that they burned their leaves... I think it's relative to dosage

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
Leaf burn by neem could be caused by both dosage and temperature at the time of spraying.  Personally, I do not use neem, as I prefer  a good horticultural oil, but I have nothing against neem.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2018, 08:52:09 PM »
I have used neem oil multiple times to control spider mites on citrus including seedlings without ill effects.  Does horticultural oil have continuing control so that it does not need to be reapplied within 6 weeks?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 10:10:33 PM »
HardyVermont,  I have never seen (other than your post) where HO cannot be applied until 6 weeks since last application.  I do not know the purity of Southern Ag's HO product as I have never purchased the product, Perhaps that is the reason for their caution..  I use Ultra Pure HO, which is the most purified  HO on the market.  I have spayed it for years and years  several times in the same week, specially when a tree is flushing new growth, so that the leaves do not develop all twisted and deformed from aphids, and thrips feeding on them,.  I just don't care for the smell of neem, particularly when spraying inside a greenhouse or home.   By the way, it is GREAT seeing you on the forum.