Author Topic: New plants in my orchad  (Read 7309 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
New plants in my orchad
« on: May 27, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »
Dear friends,

in May I planted a few new plants in my orchad. Let me introduce:

Annona purpurea grafted on A. glabra:
It was a present from a friend, but it really makes no sense using glabra as a rootstock over here, it is not a vigorous grower. So far, the best rootstock for annonas over here is chirimoya, specially seedlings from Fino de Jete. Very vigorous an tollerant, also intercompatibility is very high with other species.

Red Annona sp:
This is a specimen of this red annona from Israel, which Har thinks is a hybrid from Zill. Let's wait to see the fruits ;)

Musa cv Dwarf Namwah:
One of my favourite bananas :)

Mango cv Mallika:
Thanks to a friend in this forum :)

Coffea cv Gesha:
I was told it is one of the best beans, very hard to get this cultivar.

Pouteria caimito:
Oscar, I hope it produces good fruits ;)

Chempedak x Jackfruit:
The mother tree performs like hell in the research station, jackfruit also very good, while chempedak does not grow here  ???

Litchi cv Hak Ip:

Litchi cv Yu-Her-Pan:
An unknown cultivar to me, but reported to be a good producer in Canary Islands.

Eugenia brasiliensis:

Casimiroa tetrameria cv Wooly:

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: New plants in my orchad
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
Hi Felipe,

Your slice of paradise looks awesome 8)

Wish all the best of luck with the young trees...hope they take off like a rocket soon ;) ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »
Your trees look great. I look forward to seeing the progress of them all.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »
Awesome selection!
I'll be so envious in a couple of years....  ;)
Can tell me where did you find the namwha? i came in contact with a guy wich can be interested in buying on of these too (he lives in canary islands too).
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »
Thanks Pan :)

I think I bought the Namwah from this austrian guy: www.bananenshop.de

This guy could have some problems importing plants to CI. If he is interested in bananas he should ask Canarius. I visited the owner while I was in Tenerife. First he was running the business with some partners, which didn't work out. Now he is starting it again by himself. A very nice guy with a lot of knowledge and very professional (he is native italian). He also is collecting bananas and I think he could help this other guy in CI source Namwah.

I will ask him what went wrong with your ordering. I was surprised of your story after I got to know him, because he is the kind of person that treats plants like babys...

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
Hola Felipe,

Thanks for sharing this fantastic site :) ...50 Banana cv.  :o and They have the varieties that I'm looking for 8) Dwarf Red, Praying Hands, and Ice cream...Oh Boy ;D ;D ;D
I will find out if there is any restriction on musa at the Department of Agriculture.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »
Steve,

that's a big irony that in GermanyAustria you can find all kind of Musas, while in Canary Islands (a banana exporting region) you only will find in nurseries Dwarf Cavendish, and lately one nursery is also distributing Dwarf red. More irony on top is that locals think DC ist the best tasting banana. Well, it's the only banana they know  :blank:

Here are two more german stores with more musas (I hope you don't have problems importing):

http://www.bananen-freak.de/bananenpflanzen-c-20.html?bigwareCsid=5da5ab5d373e9274c84b8c2a03490166
http://www.palmscenter.de/bananenstauden.htm

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
Steve,

that's a big irony that in GermanyAustria you can find all kind of Musas, while in Canary Islands (a banana exporting region) you only will find in nurseries Dwarf Cavendish, and lately one nursery is also distributing Dwarf red. More irony on top is that locals think DC ist the best tasting banana. Well, it's the only banana they know  :blank:

Here are two more german stores with more musas (I hope you don't have problems importing):

http://www.bananen-freak.de/bananenpflanzen-c-20.html?bigwareCsid=5da5ab5d373e9274c84b8c2a03490166
http://www.palmscenter.de/bananenstauden.htm

Felipe,
I was really astonished to see a German/Austrian website have so many cultivar. Some of these cv that they have on sale are extremely hard to find.
Same here >:( :'( You will only get Dwarf cavendish for sale at the nursery...If you are lucky you will also get Grand nain :(
I totally agree with you...cavendish ain't kicking any more.

I hope so too :)...Thank you so much for the links...I will check them out now ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
Germany also has the best collection of cactus in the world. Go figure!
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:35:55 AM »

True story...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »

A lot of the new cactus flower hybrids are created in Germany.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »

A lot of the new cactus flower hybrids are created in Germany.

Seems like the more adverse a country's climate is for the growing of a certain type of plant the more popular it will be in the mind of the local hobbyists. The opposite is true also: the more congenial a climate is for the growing of  certain plants the less the interests of local people in those plants. For example, here where it's so easy to grow tropical fruits there is incredibly small amount of interest in it by the general population. There is a lot more interest in Florida and California, where the climates are much more adverse.
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
I 100% agree. I think not only the challenge motivates humans, but also education (information) plays a big role. Over here we have good soils and great microclimates, but people never heard of biodiversity, have no idea of new species and better cultivars. They just keep on cultivating the same few vegetables and fruits the have been cultivating for the last decades/centuries... Maybe if I lived the whole year in Canary Islands I would spend more time liying on the beach then researching in the internet... LOL

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
I 100% agree. I think not only the challenge motivates humans, but also education (information) plays a big role. Over here we have good soils and great microclimates, but people never heard of biodiversity, have no idea of new species and better cultivars. They just keep on cultivating the same few vegetables and fruits the have been cultivating for the last decades/centuries... Maybe if I lived the whole year in Canary Islands I would spend more time liying on the beach then researching in the internet... LOL

Felipe, somehow i doubt that, unless there are some interesting plants growing on the beach you want to collect seeds of? HAHA
Oscar

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »
Seems like the more adverse a country's climate is for the growing of a certain type of plant the more popular it will be in the mind of the local hobbyists. The opposite is true also: the more congenial a climate is for the growing of  certain plants the less the interests of local people in those plants.

This is true. I also grow tomatoes and lettuce, but they are so easy here, that they aren't worth spending my time on an online forum.
The only reason of interest for them, for me, (aside salad) is when they are tomatoes or lettuce of an endemic and ancient cultivar.  Then they are worthy consideration, for their cultural content; otherwise they are simply "food" wich can be good (very good) or bad, but you can't be a true food enthusiast (or you can?).
With mangos is another story of course. They are rare here, proprely ripened mangos are almost impossible to see, and growing one is a challenge. Much more interesting, if you ask me, and rewarding when you accomplish something.

Regarding cactus and bananas, anyhow, they have a thing in common: is easy tro reproduce them in industrial way (tc for bananas, big greenhouses for cactus) and it isn't so surprising that germany produces a lot of them.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 03:58:03 AM »
Felipe,

I am curious how your A. Purpurea on A. Glabra is performing? Thanks for any info.

-Bob
Life is good

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 05:25:57 AM »
Bob, the purpurea graft on glabra was not satisfactory: After 12 month the rootstock was more vigorous then the graft, in fact the graft was pretty weak, so I considered the experiment as failed and I removed the plant.

I still have a reticulata (not a named cultivar) grafted on glabra. So far the plant looks ok, but I have my doubts if there will be a good long term compatibility. Here some pictures of las November:

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »
Felipe - I may be mistaken, but I thought you had sprouted some of MikeT's (of Australia)
Broadleaf papaya seeds.....

Gary

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 04:27:23 PM »
No Gary. From Mike I have Amber jack, Mossman b-zapote, mimosops sp and a few others but I never recieved broadleaf papaya seeds.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »
My area is similar to Canary island. I'm keeping my eye on your topics.

Keep up the great work
Moh'd

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 05:59:14 AM »
Thanks Moh'd :)

Our common factor is the lack of rain, but I think in Dubai the average temperature in higher then in CI... BTW, do you irrigate with desalinated water?

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
Felipe, thanks for the info. I just grafted some atemoyas, reticulatas, and one kampong mauve on glabra. Just curious what they will do and trying to gauge my expectations. By the way I also grafted Big Red onto Soncoya, just because!
Life is good

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »
Thanks Moh'd :)

Our common factor is the lack of rain, but I think in Dubai the average temperature in higher then in CI... BTW, do you irrigate with desalinated water?

Yes you are correct, Sorry for my ignorance.

By desalinated water, do you mean City water (Since our main source of water comes from the sea) or desalination system for well water  ?.
Moh'd

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »
desalination system for well water?? Never heard of that. I was thinking of city water, wich usually is pretty bad for plants...

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 07:17:01 PM »
Most of my trees seems to be fine with city water except for Plinia and eugenia species. They barely grows.

desalination system for well water?? Never heard of that. I was thinking of city water, wich usually is pretty bad for plants...

like this one.I know a couple of guys from Oman who use a similar system and they say it works fine for their crops.
http://www.bluspr.com/brackish_water_desalinators.html

About REVERSE OSMOSIS
http://www.pitt.edu/~jag193/engineeringtrendsandissure.html
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
Felipe,

Do you grow Mammea Americana in your Orchard ?.
Moh'd