Author Topic: Jujube - Thai Giant  (Read 17535 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Jujube - Thai Giant
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Thai Giant Jujube?  How would you describe its taste? 
Brad

Adacaosky

• View Profile
Re: Jujube - Thai Giant
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 07:36:19 AM »
They were picked green when I tried them in Thailand. I guess they are preferred that way in Asia...sort of like how they enjoy green mangoes. The ripe ones are quite mealy with an earthy and almost unpleasant scent. They are the size of a very small apple but bigger than a large crabapple. The skin is Granny Smith green in colour and flawless without any features except the stem hole. Anyways, when I bit into it, the flesh was very crisp, with a clean, refreshing flavour. It isn't complex at all but nicely satisfying for a hot summer day. They were at best enjoyable and I ate about 3 to cool me down that evening while strolling the market. I am waiting to purchase a tree of my own because I hear they are prolific and low maintenance trees.

Chris
✌🏽

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »
They were picked green when I tried them in Thailand. I guess they are preferred that way in Asia...sort of like how they enjoy green mangoes. The ripe ones are quite mealy with an earthy and almost unpleasant scent. They are the size of a very small apple but bigger than a large crabapple. The skin is Granny Smith green in colour and flawless without any features except the stem hole. Anyways, when I bit into it, the flesh was very crisp, with a clean, refreshing flavour. It isn't complex at all but nicely satisfying for a hot summer day. They were at best enjoyable and I ate about 3 to cool me down that evening while strolling the market. I am waiting to purchase a tree of my own because I hear they are prolific and low maintenance trees.

Chris
As with the Indian Jujube, eating them "green" is not considered "unripe".  They actually have three stages, green, yellow and yellow/brown/  As you said, the green is like a Granny Smith though not as sour, the yellow (best in my opinion) is like a pear/apple, and the yellow/brown is what I would call "overripe" with a mealy texture and an almost fermented taste.
- Rob

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
Excellent fruit in the yellow stage, sweet and crispy!  I like to munch on them while working in the orchard.  If you have the space, go for it!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:00:22 AM by Berto »

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »
Thanks guys.  The description reminds me of my reaction to the taste of a wax jambu: crispy, refreshing, but not a strong taste at all.

I read that the smell of the tree in bloom can be offensive.  Anyone had that experience?

Brad
Brad

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
I would not call it offensive, I would call it "different".  Just to give you an idea, I have not seen bees pollinating the tree. They let the wasps do the "dirty job".... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  It stinks quite a bit!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:54:32 PM by Berto »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
Uh oh.. are you saying that I shouldn't be growing them indoors then??   ;)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »
Thanks guys.  The description reminds me of my reaction to the taste of a wax jambu: crispy, refreshing, but not a strong taste at all.

I read that the smell of the tree in bloom can be offensive.  Anyone had that experience?

Brad

It almost smells like sweet petroleum.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »

Brad
I would not agree with that statement.  Jujubes definitely have a distinct taste, much like an apple, and in no way should be compared to the taste of a wax jambu.  I would not put jujube in the same category of wax jambu and dragon fruit which could be considered "refreshing" for a lack of better desriptor.
- Rob

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »
Karen,
Jujube indoors?  I would not do it!  I would plant it as far as possible from your house!  The flowers are extra "stinky".
I agree,  jujube at the yellow stage is sweet and has a very pleasant flavor.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 06:33:26 PM »
I am beginning to question my senses of smell and taste because I don't find the taste of jujube flowers bad at all. It's nice. Not as nice as some of other flowers but its nice.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
I am beginning to question my senses of smell and taste because I don't find the taste of jujube flowers bad at all. It's nice. Not as nice as some of other flowers but its nice.
??? ??? ??? ...did you meant taste or small ?
- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:35 PM »
Is Thai giant related to Indian jujube? I've only had experience with the Chinese kinds and they're good both fresh and dried, depending on the variety.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 07:50:05 AM »
Karen,
Jujube indoors?  I would not do it!  I would plant it as far as possible from your house!  The flowers are extra "stinky".

Up here in Iceland, that'd be otherwise known as "killing them", lol.  ;)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 07:50:49 AM »
Karen,

Up here in Iceland, that'd be otherwise known as "killing them", lol.  ;)

Do you know if the Chinese variety is as stinky as the Indian?  I'm growing Chinese jujube.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »
Karen,
Just buy a nice mask during flowering!  For every problem, there is a solution!  8) 8)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
??? ??? ??? ...did you meant taste or small ?

Oops. I meant smell.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 12:34:44 PM »
Do you know if the Chinese variety is as stinky as the Indian?  I'm growing Chinese jujube.
I have not heard of Chinese jujube smelling, but the flowers are so small I never tried.

Keep a plant of Osmanthus fragrans next to it might help? Tiny flowers that fills the air with fragrance, and you can use it in tea.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »
It seems that this discussion veers back and forth between Chinese Jujube and Indian Jujube.  I have been eyeing indian jujube for a while, but never too excited.  Now that I found out it's a winter fruit, I am intrigued to try some soon.  Not expecting a WOW factor, but hopefully a good flavor, not just "refreshing" as a way to say it has water in it and will cool you down (not a fan of syzygiums).  We....shall....see.

Just saw another post where Sheehan said it's top 5 on his fruit list.  There goes that   ;)

Seriously, though, is Green thornless Indian Jujube the same as Thai Giant, or are they different varieties of the same fruit?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:26:27 PM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »
Just bought a few giant thai ones here two days ago
Taste was  not that great.

I took this picture two days ago
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:38:58 PM by mwambao »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »
It seems that this discussion veers back and forth between Chinese Jujube and Indian Jujube.  I have been eyeing indian jujube for a while, but never too excited.  Now that I found out it's a winter fruit, I am intrigued to try some soon.  Not expecting a WOW factor, but hopefully a good flavor, not just "refreshing" as a way to say it has water in it and will cool you down (not a fan of syzygiums).  We....shall....see.

Just saw another post where Sheehan said it's top 5 on his fruit list.  There goes that   ;)

Seriously, though, is Green thornless Indian Jujube the same as Thai Giant, or are they different varieties of the same fruit?

My wife seems to love them (the Indian Jujube), though I find them rather plain. The tree in the backyard is currently loaded with fruit. Can't wait for the fruit to be done so I can prune it waaaaayyyyy back - it is the ugliest growing tree I have ever seen. The whole thing is completely lopsided basically growing sideways. It takes multiple stakes to keep it upright. Like others have said, it's kind of like a mild apple, which ain't bad, but also doesn't set any taste records.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
My wife seems to love them (the Indian Jujube), though I find them rather plain. The tree in the backyard is currently loaded with fruit. Can't wait for the fruit to be done so I can prune it waaaaayyyyy back - it is the ugliest growing tree I have ever seen. The whole thing is completely lopsided basically growing sideways. It takes multiple stakes to keep it upright. Like others have said, it's kind of like a mild apple, which ain't bad, but also doesn't set any taste records.

I would agree with this last quote, it grows very lopsided for me as well, and the flavor of the fruit is 5 out of 10. Not much in the way of flavor or tanginess, just pleasant. I prune mine down to about hip-level and each year it grows to over 15-20 feet tall. This year I will prune it slightly as I think the heavy pruning really makes it extra vigorous.

I also agree, yellow is best, although my dogs love the green ones that fall to the ground. After yellow stage they get as others have pointed out mealy and rather offensive in taste.

Jaime

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »

It seems that the Green Thornless and Thai Giant are the same cultivar, just with different names. No discernible difference between the fruit or the tree. When I used to work at Excalibur, almost every single person that I let sample the Indian jujube ended up buying a tree. That being said, if it was a summer fruit, it probably would not have sold as much.

Syzygiums vary a lot to not be a fan of all of them. Java plums are very different than Malay apples for example. Thus far, the Malay apple is the only syzygium I truly enjoy. I don't mind eating the other ones but a good Malay apple is definitely one of my favorite fruit. Much better than wax jambu.

3Point141

• USA, Florida, Rockledge, 9B
    • View Profile
    • 3Point141's Photostream
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
I have both, the Indian and the Giant Thai, fruiting trees.

I had not detected any offensive smell either from the blossoms or from the fruits.

The Thai Giant is much larger than the Indian Jujube and it is best tasting (sweet and crunchy) when the skin turns light brown.
The Giant Thai seed is elongated while the Indian is almost round.

Here are 2 images;

Indian

https://www.flickr.com/photos/3point141/6355839039/

Giant Thai
https://www.flickr.com/photos/3point141/14186126721/

Thanks.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
I have both, the Indian and the Giant Thai, fruiting trees.

I had not detected any offensive smell either from the blossoms or from the fruits.

The Thai Giant is much larger than the Indian Jujube and it is best tasting (sweet and crunchy) when the skin turns light brown.
The Giant Thai seed is elongated while the Indian is almost round.

Here are 2 images;

Indian

https://www.flickr.com/photos/3point141/6355839039/

Giant Thai
https://www.flickr.com/photos/3point141/14186126721/

Thanks.

You are confusing species and cultivars. The Thai Giant is a cultivar of the Indian Jujube, Z. mauritiana.

Green Thornless and Thai Giant are both Z. mauritiana cultivars.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 09:00:40 PM »

Our Thai Giant fruited this year and we love it, both adults and kids. Slightly smaller than a small Granny Smith, crisp, like a mild-tasting apple. And it was larger than I had expected: a good 4-5" lengthwise.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:29:23 AM by Hollywood »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk