Poll

Ground or Container?

In the ground
13 (46.4%)
In a container
15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Pickering Mango...having second thoughts: Other Mango Tree Pictures  (Read 16440 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Looking for some advise...if you please. I finally found my Pickering that I've been looking for and had every intention of keeping it in a pot because i didn't want another mango to protect/heat out in the yard. Now that I have the tree and its feeling like summer again...I'm having second thoughts wondering if I should plant it near my South wall about 5-6 ft from the house...I'm wondering if this will give me a little more protection in the winter freeze as opposed to planting it out in the yard? Any ideas? Or should I just stick to keeping it in a Container since its a dwarf tree? On one hand I know it will grow 3 times faster in the ground but yet all the work and possible damage or even death... Decisions, decisions...

Here's the tree

This is where I was thinking of putting it...where the upside down green pot is..about 5-6 ft from that south wall.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:34:53 AM by puglvr1 »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Pickering Mango...having second thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
In a pot!  IT will hav more advantages than a plant grown in Ground...considering your zone is marginal.

Take it from me!  I'm rootbound for life.

and I'm in your neck of the woods
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
I agree with Adam, I would not plant in the ground. You can risk a dead tree, its better to have a tree that produces some mangoes in a container. If you are worried about the yield, I would plant it up in a 20-30 gal container. Baby the tree, and make a good soil mix for it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:58:13 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »
I have one in ground and one in a pot.  While it is true that my in ground has grown faster the potted one has done fantastic.  I get a lot of fruits from the in ground and just a few from the potted.  But I would rather fewer mangoes from the potted one than a dead plant. You can also try this winter in a pot and change your mind next year.  Whatever you choose good luck :)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
I vote for in pot also. 

Unless you plan to take extraordinary measures to protect it.   Maybe build a Florida room around it?

I know that a warm Florida spring can make those hard freezes a distant memory, but.........................

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »
Nancy,
First of all, beautiful looking Pickering! I have a Pickering that I'm going to keep my in a container because I don't have the room but in your case, it looks like you have a very nice spot in your yard. I would plant it and roll the dices you already have had some success in that area of your yard,correct?

JF

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »
Definitely keep it in a pot.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:28:23 PM »
I'd go with in ground. They stay so small it will be easy to protect and you will get a lot more fruit.

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:35:04 AM »
I'm with Jsvand5, I would plant in ground. 

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:38 AM »
You could always just start a seed now and graft another one in the summer. That way you could leave that one potted so you would at least have a backup.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:23:47 AM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:16:59 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »
I'm going with the majority of people. Pot.
The reason are evident and well expressed by others. Can I add one more? If you have room for a mango, why don't you get a vigorous one? Even if pruned back from winter, it may come back from its ashes. According general lore, big plants are more frost resistant that little one.
A pickering, with its dwarf grow, can be pruned back to nothing every winter. A bigger plant should tolerate this, and maybe make some fruits.
And don't forget: keeping pickering in pot and adding a vigorous mango in ground can get you TWO mangos. ;D
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

puglvr1

• View Profile
Re: Pickering Mango...having second thoughts Update on the rest of Mangoes
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
 Thanks everyone for all your advise and suggestions and votes!! I think for now I might go ahead and leave it in the pot, it has blooms and a few fruits on the tree. I don't want to mess with the roots until either the tiny fruits fall of or they mature whichever comes first?

Jsvand, did you bare root your Mango before you put in in Al's Gritty mix? I've only done this once with  my Glenn and it was over 5 years ago...all I remember is I didn't put it in the shade right after and I lost a TON of leaves. It recovered VERY slow and there was a time I thought I had killed it. I'm planning on bare rooting and repotting after fruit harvest (if I get any to mature) to the Gritty mix...

Anikulapo, that's a very nice Pickering...def. a small size tree. I need to prune mine a little in the summer, shape it a little bit. Yes, I live in N. Highlands County and get several freezes a year.

Thanks again for all your suggestions...I appreciate it! You guys made a lot of Valid points.

Thought I would post a few pictures here instead of starting a new thread...Here's a few updates on the rest of my Mango trees...

Glenn closest ever to fruiting since I planted it...VERY few fruits, because of Powdery Mildew I'm guessing? The bloom spikes are drying up rapidly, sad to say. You can see some of the new growths too.

My Cogshall in the back...just a few branches with blooms...the rest has gotten "nipped" on the last cold snap. You can still see some of the cold damage leaves, a lot has already fallen off.

My best blooming mango is the one out front another (Cogshall) that gets very little sun in Jan. and Feb. Planted several feet from the house...I'm hoping this one will give me several mangoes.

My small Keitt....some of you might remember this one was severely damaged last winter.

Winter of 2011 (Keitt)

After Pugging...

A few days ago...Keitt. I've never had any fruits from this Keitt...I just one to taste at least one this year!

My very tiny Lancetilla...even though I planted it 3 years ago...

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
I would plant it out in the ground if this is your first pickering.  Plant some other temporary trees around it, encircling it for now such as blueberries.  If you have already planted a pickering and it has died on you, then leave it in the pot. (for now)   :)
Adiel

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Pug, I totally bareroot mine everytime I repot and root prune them. I have only lost one mango (gold nugget). I think that one was actively pushing growth when I tried it though. None of mine usually show any signs of strees from it.

puglvr1

• View Profile
Thanks Adiel, I think after seeing those pictures of my "freeze" damage really reminded me of how much damage our freeze can cause. Its heart breaking to see... I will probably keep it in the pot for now. Doesn't mean I won't change my mind later,lol...

Thanks Jsvand, would you say its safe to bare root it after harvest....around June/July? If these fruits ends up falling off, I will probably repot it right away.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
I think you will be fine. I would think now would be better but I understand you not wanting to lose your blooms.

puglvr1

• View Profile
Thanks John! I'll have to decide when to pot it...

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
IN THE GROUND - between where you have the pot and the wire cage - in the RED ZONE
in other words.  My two trees - my big manila about 5 feet from the house, and my pickering
at about 3 feet from the house (both have 4 foot roof overhangs by the way) have never been
hit by frost, even when we've had it.  well except a few years ago when it did hit 26 one early morning, the big
manila got nipped on the outer, upper branches, but nothin on the rest of the plant, and that plant by then had grown past and around the roof line and into open air....

I'm a huge fan of using a south wall of a house for planting this stuff and never having to cover
it....especially with a big overhang - it's such a nice protective pocket....

Good luck Pugles........Mr. Fang

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Your trees are doing great! Glad you found your Pickering. You could always try putting your potted plant in the spot you are considering for an in ground planting to see if it likes the spot. I have two mangos planted within 5 feet of the south wall of my house. Makes an amazing difference - I'd say around 5-7 degrees warmer than the spots where I have mangos planted far from my house. In last year's extreme cold I covered and heated all. The ones near the house had zero damage - even blooms unscathed. The ones far out in the yard were severely damaged, and one was killed outright. I don't think that the wall will give enough help that you don't still need a shelter. But I do think that ones my trees have bigger trunks the ones near the house might be able to get away with just a string of Xmas lights (haven't tried that tho). Good luck! I so want you to get fruit this year. As an aside, my manilita blooms got heavily attacked by powdery mildue. Wasn't planning to let it set fruit this year, so didnt spray. Surprisingly it still set quite a lot of fruit! Will still cull so the tree can size up, but good to know. My cogshall is big enough that I do plan to let it try to mature its first fruits - exciting!

puglvr1

• View Profile
Re: Pickering Mango... second thoughts: Other Mango Tree Pictures
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »
Thanks Mangofang (you'll always be Mangodog to me,lol...)

Hi Anglea, there's a few of us here in FL that seems to be battling Powdery mildew this year...my Glenn blooms were attacked too and because of it many of the blooms dried up. I just want to taste one fruit for this tree if its meant to be.

For now, I've decided to keep it potted...it really is a LOT of work with the shelters and lights. Since its a dwarf its better to keep this one small and bring inside. Angela, I do like your idea of leaving it in the pot near that wall to see how well it does, might try it this winter.

Thanks for all your votes! 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:31:12 AM by puglvr1 »

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Sounds like the wise choice! Good luck!

natsgarden123

Pug, I totally bareroot mine everytime I repot and root prune them. I have only lost one mango (gold nugget). I think that one was actively pushing growth when I tried it though. None of mine usually show any signs of strees from it.

I thought that Bare Rooting a mango tree would kill it? Would you bare root the mango only for potting or would it be ok in the ground? Do you treat the tree any differently?  I have always been taught to keep the root ball intact.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I thought that Bare Rooting a mango tree would kill it? Would you bare root the mango only for potting or would it be ok in the ground? Do you treat the tree any differently?  I have always been taught to keep the root ball intact.

Mango trees handle bare rooting very well.

natsgarden123

Re: Pickering Mango...having second thoughts: Other Mango Tree Pictures
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
GLAD to hear that since I lost a bit of the root ball dirt when planting my new  pickering..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk