Author Topic: Whole Food Organic mangos  (Read 9352 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Whole Food Organic mangos
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
Today I stopped by Whole Foods and picked up a few of their Organic "Ataulfo" mangos from Mexico. They looked good in their impressive display and even though I am always disappointed with the imported mangos, I thought...maybe this time it will be different! Well I got home and anxiously cut one open and tried it...YUCK. They were insipid and nasty. These things were picked 2 weeks before they were ready!     

FloridaGreenMan

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Food Organic mangos
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »
I really hate when that happens. On an up note, I bought some Ataulfo's from Publix the other day that were pretty darn good.   

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:56:30 PM »
Today I stopped by Whole Foods and picked up a few of their Organic "Ataulfo" mangos from Mexico. They looked good in their impressive display and even though I am always disappointed with the imported mangos, I thought...maybe this time it will be different! Well I got home and anxiously cut one open and tried it...YUCK. They were insipid and nasty. These things were picked 2 weeks before they were ready!     

buy Michoacan mangos those are probably from Sinaloa.

JF

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
The ataulfo's seem to be 50/50 for me. I think when they are at their best they are really good for a store bought mango but they can be REALLY bad if you don't get them at the right time. The ones that I have seen labeled as Champagne have always been good. Seems like they are better about picking them at the right time.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »
I've had poor luck with them. Have had some ok ones but most disappoint, and I no longer buy them. IMO, they are only better than your 'typical' supermarket mango because they "aren't Tommy Atkins".

I've basically given up on having quality off-season mango aside from maybe Chok Anon or other SE Asian off-season fruit. I just get whatever is actually in season.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 12:34:15 AM »
I've had poor luck with them. Have had some ok ones but most disappoint, and I no longer buy them. IMO, they are only better than your 'typical' supermarket mango because they "aren't Tommy Atkins".

I've basically given up on having quality off-season mango aside from maybe Chok Anon or other SE Asian off-season fruit. I just get whatever is actually in season.
Here here...I would rather wait till mango season starts locally.  It will make the first, and every one thereafter, that much better.  Leave the store bought mangoes and crunchy off-season peaches for the next, uncaring and unsuspicious shopper.
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:40:07 AM »

Here here...I would rather wait till mango season starts locally.  It will make the first, and every one thereafter, that much better.  Leave the store bought mangoes and crunchy off-season peaches for the next, uncaring and unsuspicious shopper.

Well, I guess you guys in FL are eating the old stale insipid Atualfos and Manilas. Michoacan and Sinaloa are right below us so we get them fresh.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 11:42:49 AM »
I got some incredibly delicious ataulfos from Sam's Club about 2 weeks ago. I think it was a dozen for 7$.
Jeff  :-)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »
Noel- at least the mangoes were not brown inside which is the case with many of the tommy atkins mangos imported into NY.
Right now china town are selling a zillion atulfo mangoes and for a non-summer fruit, they are pretty good, but dont even come close to a florida summer mango. id rate them 5/10

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
I just picked up ONE ataulfo from one of our local fruit stands, I know it's out of season and clearly won't be up to par but wth, I'm desperate  ;D   it's been way too long, nearly one year  ;D

anyone's ever heard of the saying "...satisfy the hunger to kill the fantasy"?    think I just made that up...
Tim

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
I just picked up ONE ataulfo from one of our local fruit stands, I know it's out of season and clearly won't be up to par but wth, I'm desperate  ;D   it's been way too long, nearly one year  ;D

anyone's ever heard of the saying "...satisfy the hunger to kill the fantasy"?    think I just made that up...

Tim

If you want great Ataufo and Manila mangos head up to LA one early morning and go to the Los Angeles wholesale produce market they sell to the public you don't have to have a retail licence. They got tons of venders all over the place. Go up to any of the vendors an ask for Michoacan mangos. They sell Ataulfo and Manila almost year round but from April to June they sell the best Michoacan and Sinaloa mangos. They are not in the same class as home grown Glenn,Hayden,Edward etc. but they're a 7 on a 10 scale.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Joe.  I'll definitely keep that in mind next time we head up there.
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »
I got some incredibly delicious ataulfos from Sam's Club about 2 weeks ago. I think it was a dozen for 7$.

Kind of funny you guys in mango central buying imported magos from Mexico! You must be really needing a mango fix?  :D
Oscar
Oscar

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Joe.  I'll definitely keep that in mind next time we head up there.

Tim

I forgot to add it's only during the weekdays and they open @3:00am so get there early for the primo stuff. You'll find all kind of all kind tropical fruits very cheap....this is where I buy my Mamey from Guerrero and Chiapas for $1.99 apound.

JF

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »

Kind of funny you guys in mango central buying imported magos from Mexico! You must be really needing a mango fix?  :D
Oscar

Gotta get that mango fix...In a couple more weeks Rosigold Mango season starts, can't wait my tree has a bunch. ;)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
Gotta get that mango fix...In a couple more weeks Rosigold Mango season starts, can't wait my tree has a bunch. ;)
Glad to hear you have some.  I will be surprised if I have any Rosigolds at all, and that's with three trees.  Haven't conclusively checked , but i am quite sure that there is only a very limited number if any that are still on the trees as the result of not spraying them this year with copper.  Did you have to spray?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »
You should post a picture of that badboy.

Jeff  :-)

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »
Harry - I have been spraying it with copper every ten days or so and it seems to be holding quite a few fruit this year.  As a change... I'll share some of my mango crop with you.  :)

Jeff - I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them. 

Tony

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »
Here in the Dominican Republic, some mangoes are showing up,  the so called "Gota de oro" or Gold drop, they taste ok but lots of fiber. I passed them up, even had a few given to me, I just do not like fiber.  another mango just starting to hit the supermarkets also are the Madam Frances, now this mango I can eat, but, the ones available were very green, and small. so i am guessing picked before time.   most of the local early varieties are fibrous.
pretty soon Pascual mango will become available then the peak season hits in a month or so after that.  Pascual is a very acidic mango, its almost like eating an Orange, but the taste is good, and little fiber.  they look like an over grown Madam Frances about 2-3 times larger.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »
Here in the Dominican Republic, some mangoes are showing up,  the so called "Gota de oro" or Gold drop, they taste ok but lots of fiber. I passed them up, even had a few given to me, I just do not like fiber.  another mango just starting to hit the supermarkets also are the Madam Frances, now this mango I can eat, but, the ones available were very green, and small. so i am guessing picked before time.   most of the local early varieties are fibrous.
pretty soon Pascual mango will become available then the peak season hits in a month or so after that.  Pascual is a very acidic mango, its almost like eating an Orange, but the taste is good, and little fiber.  they look like an over grown Madam Frances about 2-3 times larger.

Some of the other members on the forum said that Madame Francis mango has quite a bit of fiber? So is this not the case in your opinion?
Oscar
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
I hardly ever buy grocery store mangos but yes, I was trying to get a quick "mango fix". They looked good anyway! When my mangos ripen, I should have plenty of Cogshall, Grasham, Duncan, PimSenMun and a few Rosiegolds and Pickering this year. That should should cleanse my palette of those awful Ataulfos!           
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
I hardly ever buy grocery store mangos but yes, I was trying to get a quick "mango fix". They looked good anyway! When my mangos ripen, I should have plenty of Cogshall, Grasham, Duncan, PimSenMun and a few Rosiegolds and Pickering this year. That should should cleanse my palette of those awful Ataulfos!         

Most stores are very good at making the fruits appear enticing to the buyers, but not so good at maintaining good taste quality. I usually get suckered at least once a year into buying some expensive peaches or plums or pluots from California. But 95% of the time i later think what a fool i was to buy them. :'(
Oscar
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:02:08 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:12 PM »

Some of the other members on the forum said that Madame Francis mango has quite a bit of fiber? So is this not the case in your opinion?
Oscar

yes they do have fiber but not the long stringy type that looks like the seed is wearing a wig, I can get my mango fix on a Madam Frances, until some of the fiber free varieties come out. Haden sometimes are sold in the supermarkets, but Keitt is the king last couple years as this is the commercial variety for export.  At the mango festival in Bani, I will buy boxes of mangoes, Glenns, Haden, Parvin, and a bunch of others from small farms.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »
Is there anything special about the taste of Madame Francis mango? I heard it's one of the most popular types in i think Haiti?
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 07:33:10 AM »
Is there anything special about the taste of Madame Francis mango? I heard it's one of the most popular types in i think Haiti?
Oscar
I have had, or should I say tried, them fresh grown/picked/ripened here and they have an ok flavor but way too much fiber that becomes a turnoff.  I would group it with an East Indian, which some love.  Obviously it is a cultural thing.  I prefer not to roll and drink my mangoes.
- Rob