Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528931 times)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #775 on: February 12, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »
You're right.  I see little bugs on there, but I"m not sure they're thrips.  They have a red stripe across their back and there's also black bugs crawling around too.  They're on all the leaves.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 12, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
Adding more pics of the bugs.  I think they are red banded thrips:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:05:08 PM by FlMikey »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 12, 2017, 09:00:31 PM »
Red-banded Thrips nymphs, and dark adults.
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 13, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
What's the best way to treat it?  Should I remove the worst leaves, and spray the rest with a Spinosad product like this -> http://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/252/captain-jacks-deadbug-brew-conc
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:58:52 PM by FlMikey »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 13, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »
Wow did we need a colder winter. Finding those flipping grey and orange striped weevils on other trees now besides my mangos. I found them chewing on an all spice tree. Threw a handful in the canal, fish love them. Guess Ill have to hit those trees with a root drench too. Oddly enough they ignored my graham and pickering which are blooming and have fruit and are in the middle between the infested trees.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 13, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »
They are definitely a nuisance. They tend to prefer certain cultivars over others -- not just with mangoes. I'm not sure what makes them decide one cultivar is tastier than the other.

Wow did we need a colder winter. Finding those flipping grey and orange striped weevils on other trees now besides my mangos. I found them chewing on an all spice tree. Threw a handful in the canal, fish love them. Guess Ill have to hit those trees with a root drench too. Oddly enough they ignored my graham and pickering which are blooming and have fruit and are in the middle between the infested trees.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 15, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
Grub Go (or Grub Gone ?) might help against the Sri Lanka Weevil--- I haven't tried it, because I don't have a problem.  It is live spores, labeled for about a dozen species of weevils, and about a dozen other non-weevil beetles, but doesn't mention Sri Lanka Weevil.
Har

ibliz

• The Tropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 18, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »
Aside from thrips, I see some red scales. It's either Aonidiella aurantii or Aonidiella orientalis.
I might be mistaken though, because I have never seen one this small.
Do you have any citrus plant close by ?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:46:48 PM by ibliz »

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
Aside from thrips, I see some red scales. It's either Aonidiella aurantii or Aonidiella orientalis.
I might be mistaken though, because I have never seen one this small.
Do you have any citrus plant close by ?

Thank you for looking.  No citrus nearby, but there are a few Poinsettas close by.  I still haven't treated the plant.  What should I do?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 24, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
In slow-drying weather conditions, spray with horticultural oil, or neem oil, or Organocide 3-in-1....
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 25, 2017, 10:07:38 AM »
In slow-drying weather conditions, spray with horticultural oil, or neem oil, or Organocide 3-in-1....

Ok I'll try that ASAP and try to have it under control before summer weather starts in South Florida where it's raining almost daily.

EDIT:  Went out to Home Depot today, bought some Neem Oil, and have sprayed it all over the leaves.  Hopefully it doesn't rain tonight..there's threatening grey skies right now..  ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:30:38 PM by FlMikey »

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 01, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »
Those aren't eggs in the original post, they're puparia cases of braconid wasps. Originally, they were probably on a caterpillar that has since decomposed.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 29, 2017, 08:59:40 PM »
Drought response and/or nitrogen deficiency.

Is this probably a drought response or could this happen from something else?  Steady decline for this Angie in one wk.  has been on same irrigation as other trees which seem fine (maybe more is needed).  I turned the 20minute watering every other day to every day  All have been fed adequate amounts of fert...?
- Marley

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 01, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »
The leaf damage looks like mite or thrips damage in cold weather, but the sick branches dying back looks to be some vascular infection of bacteria or fungus.  Put some still-alive branch and leaves into a paper bag, not plastic, and mail to TREC.  Tropical Research and Education Center near Homestead, Florida.

Meanwhile apply some Alliette or Flanker,  or some phosphite product (such as Elemax Foliar Phosphite, or Organocide Plant Doctor.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:38:37 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 02, 2017, 08:36:32 AM »
The leaf damage looks like mite o thrips damage in cold weather, but the sick branches dying back looks to be some vascular infection of bacteria or fungus.  Put some still-alive brach and leaves into a paper bag, not plastic, and mail to TREC.  Tropical Research and Education Center near Homestead, Florida.

Meanwhile apply some Alliette or Flanker,  or some phosphite product (such as Elemax Foliar Phosphite, or Organocide Plant Doctor.

Thanks Har.  That's a good idea to submit a sample. So strange for such a quick decline.
- Marley

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 02, 2017, 05:09:16 PM »
Har or anyone else that may know, will baking soda and water work to prevent Powdery Mildew on Mango Inflorescence? I use baking soda and water on my wheatgrass and it completely eliminated the fungus or mold I used to get. I've seen several mentions about using baking soda to prevent Powdery mildew on vegetable crops.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 02, 2017, 06:17:51 PM »
Simon,
Baking soda can be used against mango powdery mildew.
Was surprised to read that it could be illegal to use though.
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/PD-46.pdf

I've read that mixes contain baking soda, vegetable oil, and dish soap.
The other ingredients are for emulsification and adherence properties.
Warren

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 02, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
Thanks for the article Warren! I can't believe they can't use it in some places because basking soda is not labeled as a fungicide! I've had amazing results with it, on wheatgrass. Time to spray my Lemon Zest trees for about 15 cents a gallon.

Simon

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 02, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »
State universities receive a lot of money from product developers to run evaluative experiments.  These sponsors take a dim view of cheap competition for the products that have been developed at great cost and under the heavy burden of bureaucratic regulations and legal hoops to jump through.  So university administrations tend to forbid university employees from favorably mentioning old-time techniques, or home remedies, or un-patentable natural substances.  These employees then tend to believe that their employers' policies are interpretations of the law, and go on willy-nilly telling the public that all that stuff is illegal, though they would be hard-put to find it spelled out in actual law.  When the public believes it and complies, this totalitarian rubbish will later get codified as "industry standards / best management practices"--- regulatory creap having again occurred.
Har

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 03, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
 I need some help identifying my mango trees problem and how to deal with it.  I recently  bare rooted and repotted it,  and it has had a hard time recovering. The tips of the branches started to turn rotten so I cut them off.  But every time I cut  a little bit more,  it would just go black again.  Is there some product that I can get locally and a small amount?
 I do not know how to post pictures. I have some I took though

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 03, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »
I need some help identifying my mango trees problem and how to deal with it.  I recently  bare rooted and repotted it,  and it has had a hard time recovering. The tips of the branches started to turn rotten so I cut them off.  But every time I cut  a little bit more,  it would just go black again.  Is there some product that I can get locally and a small amount?

Why on earth did you bare root it?
- Rob

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 04, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »

Because the soil it was in sucked and I wanted to switch to gritty mix. Why? Because these trees will be in containers for decades.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 04, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »

Because the soil it was in sucked and I wanted to switch to gritty mix. Why? Because these trees will be in containers for decades.

You say the soil "sucked" yet you put it into a useless mix.  Your problem is probably a combination of bare rooting and using gritty crap. I mean gritty mix...
- Rob

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 04, 2017, 11:14:16 PM »

You say the soil "sucked" yet you put it into a useless mix.  Your problem is probably a combination of bare rooting and using gritty crap. I mean gritty mix...
Your comment doesn't help me in any way and I was hesitant to even mention the gritty mix bc I didn't want to catch crap. It's disappointing that such a large contributor to the forum  would respond like this in a degrading manner.
I bare rooted three trees and the other two are doing fine. Reguardless, I know that it was the bare rooting that hurt it. I am asking for help dealing with the black rot, not my preference of soil.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 05, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »

Your comment doesn't help me in any way and I was hesitant to even mention the gritty mix bc I didn't want to catch crap. It's disappointing that such a large contributor to the forum  would respond like this in a degrading manner.
I bare rooted three trees and the other two are doing fine. Reguardless, I know that it was the bare rooting that hurt it. I am asking for help dealing with the black rot, not my preference of soil.

Try putting it into a light well draining mix of soil and let the roots and tree recover for awhile if not too late.  I contemplated gritty mix at one time but scrapped the idea as it seems labor intensive, costly, no advantage over pre-made mixes (fafard, foxfarm, promix, any local horti-mix), and of course how much it weighs.  If the tree in question is relatively young I'd do as I mentioned above and start with another 3gal.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:31:55 AM by FruitFreak »
- Marley