Author Topic: Seeking info on M-4 mango  (Read 47934 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Seeking info on M-4 mango
« on: April 11, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
Does anyone have any info on the "M-4" A forum search did not reveal much, just that it was "sweet like candy" and tasted coconutty.  How does it compare to the Coconut cream ? would it be a replacement for the C/C ?  How long has it been in cultivation/ released? early, mid or late season?

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info on M-4 mango
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
I bought one today. Don't know much about it. Does it even have a name?

Quentin

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »
I thought maybe it was the one that someone had nicknamed "mounds"  but reading through the threads revealed that one to be the E-4 I Believe?  I was hoping that Rob would have some insight.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »
Yes, that was E-4. M-4 evidently doesn't have as many problems as E-4.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »
Does anyone have any info on the "M-4" A forum search did not reveal much, just that it was "sweet like candy" and tasted coconutty.  How does it compare to the Coconut cream ? would it be a replacement for the C/C ?  How long has it been in cultivation/ released? early, mid or late season?

M4 blows  Coconut Cream away.  It is way more complex with a slight balancing sub'acidity component. It has just recently been made available although I do find it odd it was let go without being given an actual name.  It is not a colorful/pretty mango on the outside but the taste more than makes up for it.
- Rob

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:14:10 AM »
I heard it can skip years because it holds fruit so late?
Quentin

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 07:38:56 AM »
I heard it can skip years because it holds fruit so late?

Not sure where you heard that.  It is not a super late variety.
- Rob

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
I just planted my second cocoanut cream, a 15gl at that but im not apposed to taking one out lol. Do you know anything about the growth habit ?

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »
How does this compare to the others released this year (Phoenix and cotton candy)? Is this one a must have?

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 07:03:21 PM »
Here we go :)
ZHPP released this?  How long has it been evaluated?
- Marley

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »

It seems it has trickled out albeit without a real name.

This is all paet of the same breeding project that produced LZ, Coconut Cream,  Pineapple Pleasure and all other Zill releases since 2011.
- Rob

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 10:01:42 PM »
Is the M-4 another Kent X Gary cross like the O-2? I wonder if it would be a good idea to plant one in a spot fairly close to my O-2, I’m not sure if the cross pollenating would result in a good tasting fruit or not.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 10:20:52 PM »

It seems it has trickled out albeit without a real name.

This is all paet of the same breeding project that produced LZ, Coconut Cream,  Pineapple Pleasure and all other Zill releases since 2011.

Very cool that's it's part of that breeding program . M-4 sounds like something I like to chute
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:37:40 AM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »
M-4 is descended from Keitt.  M-4 is Mid-to-Late Season, but not Very Late Season.

The fruit size is small.  The number of fruits produced is high.  The original tree has been an alternate bearer.

No grafted trees of it have been evaluated.  Same with 'Cotton Candy'(also from 'Keitt' and mid-to-late season).  These two varieties were released due to high connoisseur and staff insistence, despite not having yet undergone a grafted-trees-field-trial planting.  This insistence was because of supreme deliciousness, to pretty much everyone who tried them, and clean appearance, though not at all colorful.
Har

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »
M-4 is descended from Keitt.  M-4 is Mid-to-Late Season, but not Very Late Season.

The fruit size is small.  The number of fruits produced is high.  The original tree has been an alternate bearer.

No grafted trees of it have been evaluated.  Same with 'Cotton Candy'(also from 'Keitt' and mid-to-late season).  These two varieties were released due to high connoisseur and staff insistence, despite not having yet undergone a grafted-trees-field-trial planting.  This insistence was because of supreme deliciousness, to pretty much everyone who tried them, and clean appearance, though not at all colorful.

Ok this is more along the lines of what I heard.
Quentin

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »
I vouch for M-4.  Among more than a hundred varieties I've had the delight to eat, it will join the ranks of a rarified top 10 mango.  Time will tell if it can bump something out of the Fab 5.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 06:38:31 PM »
I vouch for M-4.  Among more than a hundred varieties I've had the delight to eat, it will join the ranks of a rarified top 10 mango.  Time will tell if it can bump something out of the Fab 5.

Hey Future, thanks for the input!

Just a quick question (and not to derail the thread), what is the Fab 5 in your opinion?
- Mark

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »

Hey Future, thanks for the input!

Just a quick question (and not to derail the thread), what is the Fab 5 in your opinion?

Ah.  Order can change season to season but overall

5. Orange Sherbert
4. Cotton Candy
3. Sweet Tart
2. PPK
1. Lemon Zest

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
Last year Sweet Tart was the best I tasted.
Mike

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »
Ok.  Le's end the thread hijack...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 10:42:38 PM »

You said it skips years cause it holds it "so late".  It is not late as in Beverly, Honey Kiss or the late holding Keitts.  The years I have had the fruit, it is in July and into August, plenty of time to set fruit the following year.  Honey Kiss, also a descendant of Keitt, holds fruit mid/late September and into October and its a year after year workhorse. 
- Rob

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 02:08:08 AM »
I bought one today. Don't know much about it. Does it even have a name?

A lot of info on M4  designation to help in remembering M4:::: Just guessing, but this may be why it has been left as is so far. Interesting information on M4 useage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRAO5_ASuqY
Then again, BMW makes a M4 also:::  http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/m4
Maybe the question became in choosing the name, Do I like to remember what I drive/drove, or what I shoot/shot?  :)

As 2 thieves approach the fence, one thief says to the other, "Is this the property we're suppose to rob? Yea........ but I don't think it's a good idea anymore. I overheard 2 guys talking today and they said the owner keeps at least 10 M4's on the other side of this fence."  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:07:46 PM by palmcity »

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:39 AM »

You said it skips years cause it holds it "so late".  It is not late as in Beverly, Honey Kiss or the late holding Keitts.  The years I have had the fruit, it is in July and into August, plenty of time to set fruit the following year.  Honey Kiss, also a descendant of Keitt, holds fruit mid/late September and into October and its a year after year workhorse.

M-4 is descended from Keitt. 

There is 4 things I was told that seems to be right. And one thing I was told seems to be wrong. I also can be remembering wrong. Thats why I put a question mark at the end of the sentence.
Quentin

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »

M-4 is descended from Keitt. 

There is 4 things I was told that seems to be right. And one thing I was told seems to be wrong. I also can be remembering wrong. Thats why I put a question mark at the end of the sentence.

I would also not be surprised to see grafted versions grown in different locations react differently from the mother tree (for a number of reasons).  I have seen it first hand with some of these trees (not M4 but other varieties of the "project").

Many of the parentage of the "project" trees have the Gary mango crossed into it which is very fickle in terms of production and consistency in production.   I have seen the Gary be a consistent heave lroducer year in and out to a non producer and everywhere in between,  depending on where tree is grown.
- Rob

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »
Thank you guys for the info and the background info. I think we are all obligated to plant one and report our findings up the chain of command in a show of appreciation to all of those who worked hard to create these new and delicious additions that brighten our lives.