Author Topic: Bad anthracnose problem, best fungicide..?  (Read 5107 times)

Broman

• Yes, I'm a mango fanatic and I'm proud of it!
    • Florida
    • View Profile
Bad anthracnose problem, best fungicide..?
« on: July 16, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
Hello friends, I m new to the forums :)
I have a bad anthracnose problem that is deep in the stem of the plant and leaves. It's a Haden mango, 3 years old, approx 11ft tall. I have black areas all the way up the main stem. I have a few questions that I hope the pros here can answer...
1) do I have to cut the affected branches off? This would be really painful!!
2) Can treating the tree with "contact" AND "systemic" Copper fungicide cure it?
3) Can I get a product from Lowes/Home Depot that will work? And what would you suggest? Brands?

Here is a pic of the fungicide I have, I do not know if it is contact or systemic fungicide..

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Bad anthracnose problem, best fungicide..?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »
AFAIK, copper doesn't cure, it's a preventative? My pickering had been stunted by anthracnose, I sprayed southern Ag copper on it, and the new growth showed up pretty quick. I never cut off any growth.
Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »
The haden is susceptible to anthracnose so it is not uncommon to see it.  Copper is the best product to use.  When mixing, a a teaspoon of liquid dish soap to your sprayer.  Be sure to spray top and underside of the leaves.

You do not have to cut anything off nor will the spray make the infected leaves get better and clear up.  All you are doing is kill the active fungus.  To try and help with future attacks, make sure there is good airflow around the tree and when watering, do not spray the leaves.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 05:20:03 PM »
AFAIK, copper doesn't cure, it's a preventative? My pickering had been stunted by anthracnose, I sprayed southern Ag copper on it, and the new growth showed up pretty quick. I never cut off any growth.

Not sure if you meant to word it the way you did.  The copper will stop the funvus as well as help prevent it but it will not make the damaged parts of the tree clear up.
- Rob

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »
Should I apply a systemic and contact fungicide? I watched a good video on YouTube about it.. How will I know if the fungus has died if it stays black?

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:23:57 PM »
a teaspoon of liquid dish soap to your sprayer.  Be sure to spray top and underside of the leaves.

What will the dish soap do?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
Should I apply a systemic and contact fungicide? I watched a good video on YouTube about it.. How will I know if the fungus has died if it stays black?

Systemics should not be needed if its anthracnose on a small tree.  Post a picture of what you are talking about in terms of "black stems".
- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »
Dish soap acts as spreader/sticker, I try to stay away from the dawn degreaser type. A few drops to a gallon will go a long way.

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
Bullie- I'll post a pic as soon as I get off work in the morning 👍🏻

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
Here are some pics of my Haden and anthracnose problem. The leaves seem to be missing something too. I've been reading about foliar sprays and will invest in those today once I find something reasonable cost wise.

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
Can I mix the Copper with an iron nutrient spry or do them separately?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
Looks healthy and normal to me.  :o
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »
Yeah, I do not see any anthracnose issues.  The leaves are clean.  What and how are you fertilizing?   Can yoy take a picture of the base of the truck and the ground.

I may have seen a white scale or mealy bug in one of tye pictures but it was very hard to tell.
- Rob

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
There's black on the branches.. so it's not anthracnose..? That's good news! I'll take some more pics when I get home. I use a citrus granule every other month, I think it's for Avacodo 6-6-6. This year I started adding cow manure, top soil, and mulch every six months for some food too.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »
There's black on the branches.. so it's not anthracnose..? That's good news! I'll take some more pics when I get home. I use a citrus granule every other month, I think it's for Avacodo 6-6-6. This year I started adding cow manure, top soil, and mulch every six months for some food too.

Switch to a high quality palm fertilizer.  Do not add top soil or cow manure and make sure the crown roots are not buried.  Keep an area about 18" out from the trunk ckear of mulch and then you can apply tye mulch from that distance out yo a 3' - 4' mark.  Best mulch to use is grade A pure cypress mulch.  Avoid eucalyptus and any died mulch.
- Rob

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »
Thanks bullie! I need to work on my Haden again when it stops raining here :)
Here's a few more pics of base and leaves. Sorry, it just got done POURING rain.

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »
My Kent tree has it pretty bad too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:42:17 AM by Donkeys4hire »

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 09:40:44 AM »

Switch to a high quality palm fertilizer.  Do not add top soil or cow manure and make sure the crown roots are not buried.  Keep an area about 18" out from the trunk ckear of mulch and then you can apply tye mulch from that distance out yo a 3' - 4' mark.  Best mulch to use is grade A pure cypress mulch.  Avoid eucalyptus and any died mulch.

Rob, Is this a good idea for all mango trees? I typically use Citrus fertilizer.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »

Rob, Is this a good idea for all mango trees? I typically use Citrus fertilizer.

For our area and on young trees, yes (citrus fert is lacking in minors and really not the best NPK).  Palm fertilizer has a much more rounded minor element package.  Excalibur's 8-3-9 is a very good fertilizer for younger trees (it is formulated to require monthly applications).  As trees get older and marure, type of fertilizer and regimen will change.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »
The black stuff on the branches is of little consequence, apparently a mild mold just using the surface, such as what you would see dirtying a painted wall or roof tiles.
Har

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
Can I mix the Copper with an iron nutrient spry or do them separately?

Spray separately.  Only worry about stuff on flowers and fruit, not black coloring on branches.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.