Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 181895 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »
The last 6 months or so have been bad because it was a hot summer and no rain hardly since March of 2017.  I think we had 1 storm a few weeks ago that made 2 or 3 inches.  Thats like 8 or 9 months it rained once.  That makes the wind particularly dry.
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »

So have the Santa Ana winds increased in frequency and intensity in recent years? 
[/quote]

I have only been paying attention the last few years and last year was definitely  the worst.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2018, 04:15:31 PM »
Went and looked at my trees today.  One of my sir prize trees had its first black fruit.  Its still hard.  Glad I checked on them, will report back on quality black on tree vs green on tree.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:24:22 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
Nice harvest there, Spaugh!

I picked my first darkened Sir prize on Jan 29; your entry above reminded me that I had one picked already that I stashed in the fridge and I just tasted it now: Hmm..., smooth, full of flavor and just enough oil content it seems. Also, the seed is relatively small, and it's skin does not stick to the meat, and the meat is easily separated from the fruit's skin using a spoon, even though the skin is on the thin side.Much different than the only I had last season; when I picked it in December: it was bland, tasteless ...

Obviously; December was way too early to pick this variety in SoCal; I guess the darkening of the fruit is a good indication of it being ready to be picked, huh?

Hope you enjoy yours, Spaugh! Too bad that Mark from Texas is unable to joint our Sir prize tasting experience...holler on me when you are ready to do some grafting, Mark!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:54:28 PM by Samu »
Sam

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2018, 07:28:02 AM »
Way to go Samu!

Too bad that Mark from Texas is unable to joint our Sir prize tasting experience...holler on me when you are ready to do some grafting, Mark!

Oh, but I have, on a Frankencado that was grafted 2016.  I let that branch hold 7.  Got some really nice fruit.  Now, whether or not it's alive is debatable.  The Reed and Gwen are, which is a frickin' miracle.  Remember Reed is a frost tender Guatemalan strain and my greenhouse hit 18F.  For how long I don't know.  Looks pretty sad but all the citrus is alive too, yay!

Sir Prize:

Dec. 4

Took this shot yesterday.  With my recent pruning this house is pretty damn bare.   We have a scion exchange next Saturday so I'll be getting seedling stock then and other goodies.   That beautiful Reed on the right was 10' X 10' 

Guacamole' anyone?  This is a fraction of the avocados I lost.  The others are on a burn pile, kitchen counter, or seeds stuck with toothpicks sitting in water.  I did get to eat a few Oro Negro but being a month early they were only fair in taste.  Texture was incredible, skin like hard leather which I like.  I lost a nice crop of Holiday, Reed, Oro Negro, Gwen and a few strays like Ardith.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:30:03 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:40 AM »
Foliar nubs on Reed.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »
Glad to see those nubs!
I supposed you are now working on getting the alarm installed, Mark? Have fun!
Sam

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »
Glad to see those nubs!
I supposed you are now working on getting the alarm installed, Mark? Have fun!

Yeah, am pretty happy about it Sam.  Still having trouble finding a source for White Sugarloaf.  Will order a temp alarm system to add to my Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 system.  Great weather station BTW.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
I’ve only been living in the area for the past 4 years but will say that this last year was the worst of the 4. Time will tell. Maybe some of the others who’ve lived in the area longer can speak to any trends they’ve noticed. I know about 10 years ago my parents had hurricane force winds (70-80) mph in the hills in Pasadena, completely defoliated and wind burnt many of their trees.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
Didnt water my trees for a while and found a few dropped fruit today.  My holiday dropped 2 big boys.  And a few hass fell off.  The Sir Prizes were black and were picked.  Still have a lot of Sir Prize that will need to be picked and eaten soon.  Gave the trees an extra squirt of water today.

Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2018, 07:33:49 PM »
Nice harvest Brad you got it going on for sure!!  ;)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
I'm in Florida but have quite a few trees which are variety unknown. As fruit develops I'll post some pics to try and identify them.
This was the earliest, three trees which are very compact, short and small leaved compared to all other trees I have. Anyone care to venture a guess on the variety?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
Nice harvest Brad you got it going on for sure!!  ;)

Thank you!  We are enjoying our returns for all the work we put in.  My friends and family always want to sample the goods.  One of our friends calls them the spavocados.
Brad Spaugh

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2018, 10:25:31 PM »
My last 2 Sir prizes dropped this morning:

Sorry Pineislander, no idea of what your variety is, but your tree
looks so healthy with of all green leaves. All my older leaves
are green/brown combo..., I suspect was due to our hard water,
and hardly taking any rain water... (SoCal drought).
Sam

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »
Didnt water my trees for a while and found a few dropped fruit today.  My holiday dropped 2 big boys.  And a few hass fell off.  The Sir Prizes were black and were picked.  Still have a lot of Sir Prize that will need to be picked and eaten soon.  Gave the trees an extra squirt of water today.

Very nice harvest!

Does the taste of the Holiday live up to all the hype?   As you know I lost mine in the Jan. 17 freeze, one fruit hung on for about a month, the stem dried up and I tried it.  Even though it shriveled a bit it wasn't half bad regarding flavor in spite of it needing another 7-8 mos. hang time.  Holiday is certainly an attractive fruit too.

Jan. 25

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »

Very nice harvest!

Does the taste of the Holiday live up to all the hype?   As you know I lost mine in the Jan. 17 freeze, one fruit hung on for about a month, the stem dried up and I tried it.  Even though it shriveled a bit it wasn't half bad regarding flavor in spite of it needing another 7-8 mos. hang time.  Holiday is certainly an attractive fruit too.

Jan. 25

I dont know Mark, I have 2 holiday trees both 2 years old.  Havent tried the fruit yet.  One aborted the fruits yesterday, the other one is still holding 2 fruits.  It sucks, I should have been watering more.  It got in the mid 80s with wind the last few days and I made the mistake of not watering.  Our soil drains really fast and doesnt hold much moisture.  Its all rock and sand.  Heres a photo of one of the holiday trees.

We ate a bunch of pinkertons in the last few weeks.  Thats an excellent tasting fruit.  Everyone in the house agreed that was really fine tasting avocado.  I have to be honest though, so many of these trees make good fruit but overall they have sone weaknesses compared to hass.  Hass tastes great, bears heavy, grows fast, hangs on the tree forever...  hard to beat it.

Pinkerton

Not sure if you can see her but I caught bambi eyeing my avocados through the fence the other morning.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:19:12 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »
Deer looks cool.  Me and a lot of others deer fence.   I've got 14 acres protected.

Does the neck of the Pinkerton turn ripe before the rest of the body? 

Fine looking Holiday.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »
No it ripens perfectly even delicious  avocado

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2018, 07:51:59 AM »
No it ripens perfectly even delicious  avocado

Looks delish!  I've bought Pinkerton fruit mail order.  They are really fine.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2018, 01:24:51 AM »
Does reed bloom for you guys in socal yet? New to reed, it's holding lots of fruits this year and hesitant to flower. All other trees are in frantic bloom and I start to worry I may not get many reeds next year.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2018, 01:28:13 AM »
My small Reed is just starting to bloom now and dropping it's fruit from last year.

Bill

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2018, 02:10:25 AM »
My young Reed is blooming. I see a couple of tiny fruits. It's not holding  any fruits from last year.

My neighbor's Hass bloomed 1st week of March last year, earlier than my Reed. There were no fruits on the Hass.
This year, with fruits still holding, it's beginning to bloom.

So your Reed should bloom a bit later when it's holding fruits.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »
Reed blooms last and self pollinates.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2018, 10:49:32 AM »

Yep.  The only one that blooms (or did) with Reed was my Oro Negro, which I'm going to top work.  Rootstock is putting off nice shoots.

Speaking of Reed, it's coming back with a vengeance.  I left 4 shoots go and some are as big as my thumb.  Is this crazy or what????  My greenhouse hit 18F, this is pure Guatemalan, not supposed to be cold hardy at all and it's not only alive but going nuts!

Mother nature never ceases to amaze me.  My "dead" pineapple plants are pushing pups, etc.

March 31. It's a foot taller now.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »

Yep.  The only one that blooms (or did) with Reed was my Oro Negro, which I'm going to top work.  Rootstock is putting off nice shoots.

Speaking of Reed, it's coming back with a vengeance.  I left 4 shoots go and some are as big as my thumb.  Is this crazy or what????  My greenhouse hit 18F, this is pure Guatemalan, not supposed to be cold hardy at all and it's not only alive but going nuts!

Mother nature never ceases to amaze me.  My "dead" pineapple plants are pushing pups, etc.

March 31. It's a foot taller now.

It should be 8ft tall by September
Brad Spaugh