Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 181914 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2018, 11:56:28 AM »
Wow, those sprouts look so eager to reach the sky...! :D
Are you going to let Reed be Reed or make it a cocktail tree?
Sam

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2018, 03:27:26 PM »
Reed blooms last and self pollinates.

Even though reed does not have the "alternate bearing" reputation, I was still a little concerned. Thank you. Anxious to taste my first properly ripened reed.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »

Gonna let it be.  We love Reed and with age the fruit should only get better.  I watered yesterday morning and I swear by the afternoon it was 3" taller.  I've got leaves a foot long now!  I've got shoots growing on 3 other old and large rootstocks.  Will use that wood to graft too.

BTW, did my second innoculation with VAM on all stock in the greenhouse.  Need to start a thread on it.  I innoculated everything on the farm with a endo/ecto mychorrizial product.  Vineyard which requires VAM is on steroids.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »

Gonna let it be.  We love Reed and with age the fruit should only get better.  I watered yesterday morning and I swear by the afternoon it was 3" taller.  I've got leaves a foot long now!  I've got shoots growing on 3 other old and large rootstocks.  Will use that wood to graft too.

BTW, did my second innoculation with VAM on all stock in the greenhouse.  Need to start a thread on it.  I innoculated everything on the farm with a endo/ecto mychorrizial product.  Vineyard which requires VAM is on steroids.

You could hit your tree with a sprinkle of urea if you want to see it really explode.  Just be sure to water it and leach it between applications so it doesnt accumulate and burn the tree.  A little urea goes a long way on a fast growing avocado tree.
Brad Spaugh

Avinsmith

• Viet Nam
    • View Profile
    • Www.facebook.com/avnsmith
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »

We import almost type of avocado . But now 034 avocado still on Top market of Viet Nam

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »
You could hit your tree with a sprinkle of urea if you want to see it really explode.  Just be sure to water it and leach it between applications so it doesnt accumulate and burn the tree.  A little urea goes a long way on a fast growing avocado tree.

Yeah, that would work.  Even more of a N kick is UAN.  Your local feed stores should stock it in bulk.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2018, 01:40:24 AM »
Hi Mark, is it OK to to water the trees with the regular Municipal water when you inoculate the roots with mycorrhizae?
(Amazon seller's note says not to use chlorinated water).
Sam

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
Hi Mark, is it OK to to water the trees with the regular Municipal water when you inoculate the roots with mycorrhizae?

Have no clue.  I'll ask Dr. Faust, owner.

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
Hi everyone

So we have this hass avocado tree where we have a hard time figuring out when it’s ripe or not. It’ll turn black on the outside but the inside is still pretty hard. And also quite bland.

So I’m not sure what’s the issue. Not enough water? Need more fertilizer? Thanks!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2018, 05:23:19 PM »
Hi everyone

So we have this hass avocado tree where we have a hard time figuring out when it’s ripe or not. It’ll turn black on the outside but the inside is still pretty hard. And also quite bland.

So I’m not sure what’s the issue. Not enough water? Need more fertilizer? Thanks!

Let it hang on the tree longer
Brad Spaugh

arc310

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »
Hi everyone

Let it hang on the tree longer

thanks for the advice. i'll leave the ones on the trees for a bit longer. I had thought they were done since the tree is flowering again.

from what i've read...haas season here in socal is around feb to july?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
Seed looks big for hass.  Is it a hass for sure?  Hass is in season and will keep getting better for many more months.  You are letting them sit on the couter and get soft too right?  It might take a week or more to get ripe after picking it.

Avocado trees can hold fruit while blooming and fruit setting the next crop.  Its ok, just let them hang.  Some avocados take 18 months on the tree.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:57:00 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2018, 08:17:21 PM »
Wow, are you sure that's a Hass tree you have? Did you get it from a Nursery or ? Hass usually as a smaller seed, could be seedling maybe?

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2018, 10:11:38 PM »
My friend was wondering why her hass fruits take forever to ripen, I told her the fruits ripen off the tree and should be in season now. She happily went ahead to pick ALL the fruits, and I almost got a heart attack seeing so many fruits in bright green ---- I did not know hass fruits stay green on the tree, and turn to dark color AFTER picking.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »
When hass fruits are starting to get a decent oil content they turn dull green and then darkish green almost black on the tree.  If they are bright green they need more time.
Brad Spaugh

arc310

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2018, 01:20:42 AM »
Wow, are you sure that's a Hass tree you have? Did you get it from a Nursery or ? Hass usually as a smaller seed, could be seedling maybe?

this is from my parent's backyard. super old tree...decades old....

When hass fruits are starting to get a decent oil content they turn dull green and then darkish green almost black on the tree.  If they are bright green they need more time.

i'm not 100% sure it was a haas. the skin is super pebbly...but i'll try to take another pic of one that isn't as black as that.
thanks spaugh for the tips. i'll leave the remaining ones on the tree longer and see how that goes.

i've been picking them based on size and not color. :P

oh! i just realized that i had posted once about what type they were but we couldn't pinpoint exactly what they were. the avocado above is the middle one.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:28:40 AM by arc310 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2018, 01:39:42 AM »
I remember your post now.  It looks like a hass type but seed looks larger than normal hass.  Maybe gwen hass or just a hass seedling.  Is the tree fairly small for its age? 

You should let some fruit hang on the tree through summer to figure out when is the best time to pick them.  Its ok to let them hold this years and next years fruit at the same time.

Brad Spaugh

arc310

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2018, 01:49:31 AM »
I remember your post now.  It looks like a hass type but seed looks larger than normal hass.  Maybe gwen hass or just a hass seedling.  Is the tree fairly small for its age? 

You should let some fruit hang on the tree through summer to figure out when is the best time to pick them.  Its ok to let them hold this years and next years fruit at the same time.

oh that helps! the tree has been around the same size for a looong time. i can't wrap my arms around the trunks of the trees....although back in 2012-14 it looked like it was about to die but has now come back. i did find some pictures of avocados i had picked from that tree and those were from july so i'm still early then compared to when i had picked most of them last year. but i'll pay more attention to the colors this time.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2018, 09:12:19 AM »

Response:

Not a real problem.  if spraying city water could kill fungi, they would be using it all over the place. chlorinated water the chlorine is volatile and goes off or combines in the soil with something to form a chloride ion.  I never heard that this could be an issue with any fungi. I think they water mushrooms with chlorinated water to control bacteria disease.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
Hello everyone! There are any variety that start to give fruit sooner? Thank's!  ;D

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »
Reed blooms last and self pollinates.

Yep.  The only one that blooms (or did) with Reed was my Oro Negro, which I'm going to top work.  Rootstock is putting off nice shoots.

Speaking of Reed, it's coming back with a vengeance.  I left 4 shoots go and some are as big as my thumb.  Is this crazy or what????  My greenhouse hit 18F, this is pure Guatemalan, not supposed to be cold hardy at all and it's not only alive but going nuts!

Mother nature never ceases to amaze me.  My "dead" pineapple plants are pushing pups, etc.

March 31. It's a foot taller now.

Hi Mark, it's excellent to see the prize of your Avocado plants popping back with such fervor after being so heavily smitten in the winter.  Did any of your other avocado trees recover?

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »

My other friend's hass is in season now, much darker green color.
This friend has a young tree and fruiting for the first or second time. I suspect it takes longer to ripen them.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »

Response:

Not a real problem.  if spraying city water could kill fungi, they would be using it all over the place. chlorinated water the chlorine is volatile and goes off or combines in the soil with something to form a chloride ion.  I never heard that this could be an issue with any fungi. I think they water mushrooms with chlorinated water to control bacteria disease.

Thank you Mark, for taking the extra effort and time to get the answer!
Sam

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2018, 03:51:56 PM »

I have in ground 12 inches high seedling with Fuerte scion on it, grafted Jan 24; now it's blooming! (the scion is from my neighbor's very mature large tree).
I know I can't allow this to continue, should I pug it when and where?

Thanks...still learning!  :)
Sam

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:52 PM »
Luisport,

Of the varieties I grow and feel like I know well enough, Gwen and Pinkerton seem most precocious.

And I'm also thinking of the trees not being in especially great pollination conditions, like with many bees and near opposite-type varieties. (In those conditions, it's harder to say how precocious a variety is on its own.)
gregalder.com/yardposts/