Author Topic: Nursery Pictures  (Read 1952 times)

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Nursery Pictures
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:45:16 PM »
This is how I wished my nursery looked.

This is a pic of the NTBG nursery a tour a month ago with Fruit Growers Group.

This is how my nursery actually looks. I call it my greenhouse (at least its green  ;D)

Well, it serves the purpose, just not as glamorous.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Nursery Pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:15:08 PM »
Hey if it works don't knock it. That's my motto.  ;)
Oscar

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:56:53 PM »
Your plants look nice and green. Buy tables and put a gravel walk way and you'll look like a nursery. :)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »
You have lots of fruit trees planted in the background. Unless this is your neighbors.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »
You have lots of fruit trees planted in the background. Unless this is your neighbors.

There is close to 140 fruit trees, not including coconut palms. I have another 300 to plant in the next few years. The rest is going to be mostly various avocado types.

side note:
When I first setup my nursery I used that corn based weed block that can be found at home depot. That stuff easily poked holes and weeds managed to grow through the entire thing in a matter of months.   A year or so later I had an idea of using the black plastic http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-ft-x-100-ft-Black-6-mil-Plastic-Sheeting-CFHK0610B/100651779
To combat the fact that this stuff would be slippery when walked on, I put scrap construction plywood over the top. No weeds and the water drains very well since the ground is slightly sloped. So far (6 months) I really like it and the design can be expanded pretty easily as I find more plywood and need more space.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »

There is close to 140 fruit trees, not including coconut palms. I have another 300 to plant in the next few years. The rest is going to be mostly various avocado types.

Way to go!  Looks like you are establishing a commercial orchard

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:19:54 AM »

side note:
When I first setup my nursery I used that corn based weed block that can be found at home depot. That stuff easily poked holes and weeds managed to grow through the entire thing in a matter of months.   A year or so later I had an idea of using the black plastic http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-ft-x-100-ft-Black-6-mil-Plastic-Sheeting-CFHK0610B/100651779
To combat the fact that this stuff would be slippery when walked on, I put scrap construction plywood over the top. No weeds and the water drains very well since the ground is slightly sloped. So far (6 months) I really like it and the design can be expanded pretty easily as I find more plywood and need more space.

Suggest using 98% shade cloth. That stuff is water permeable, will last way over 10 years, probably more like 20, and you can stake it down with some metal cloth pegs and washers, no need to use plywood. 6 mil plastic will puddle = mosquitoes, and even UV resistant will not last more than a couple of years before it disintegrates.
Oscar