Author Topic: Not enough Durian Discussion  (Read 54289 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Not enough Durian Discussion
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 10:22:19 PM »
Which cultivars do you find grow best and produce the best fruit in your climate in hawaii?

According to the malay farmer of black thorn claims only 15% will come true from seed, this was second hand information.
Some of my best tasting and best fruiting trees have been seedling trees. But it's too early to answer your question as i have only a few cultivars planted, and they have not all fruited yet.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 11:19:39 PM »
I believe black thorn originated in Thailand and was taken to Malaysia where it is pretty claimed as Malaysian now. I think musang King is a genuine Malaysian.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2021, 02:42:43 AM »
I believe black thorn originated in Thailand and was taken to Malaysia where it is pretty claimed as Malaysian now. I think musang King is a genuine Malaysian.
I've heard that Black Thorn is a selected seedling of Musang King, but don't know if that's true?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2021, 06:41:57 AM »
Origin Of Durian Black Thorn @ Ochee
Back in the days, Bagi Kau fell in love the taste of a durian in Thailand, hence, he brought the seed of it back to Malaysia – Kampung Lima Kongsi, near Sungai Bakap, which is near the south of the second bridge. Black Thorn became so popular till the extent that it had a waiting list every season, usually in late July or early August. At that point of time, Bagi Kau rejected people’s request to allow them to grow it on their farms.

Finally, in mid-1980s, Bagi Kau allowed his friend, Mr Leow Cheok Keong, to grow it on his farm in Nibong Tebal, which was then established as the first commercial orchard. However, Mr Leow did not particularly liked Black Thorn back then, therefore he did not grow more of it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2021, 06:48:13 AM »
Origin Of Durian Musang King @ Raja Kunyit D197
Although most of Klang Valley supplies of Musang King comes from Raub – Pahang, it is not the “original” birth place of the famous Durian Musang King. It all started in the early 90s at Tanah Merah, Kelantan. A fruit seller from Pahang was looking all over Malaysia for the best durian and somehow he was introduced to a type of durian which locals in Kelantan referred to as Raja Kunyit.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2021, 12:47:32 PM »
Black thorn is being planted out pretty seriously for export in mainland Penang.  I visited farms of 15 hectares and the largest farms are not open to the public.  The original black thorn farm no longer allows the public to come for durian, it’s gone to export only.
Peter

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2021, 02:38:07 PM »
Which cultivars do you find grow best and produce the best fruit in your climate in hawaii?

According to the malay farmer of black thorn claims only 15% will come true from seed, this was second hand information.
Some of my best tasting and best fruiting trees have been seedling trees. But it's too early to answer your question as i have only a few cultivars planted, and they have not all fruited yet.

all the best tasting fruits ive had on big island were also from different seedlings. wonder if its our soils not equating to the original cultivar growing region, or trees arent old enough, or somehow things got mislabeled and were just riding those names out. or maybe just the adaptation of one tree in place and the next generation being slightly more adapted to our climate.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2021, 05:30:58 PM »

all the best tasting fruits ive had on big island were also from different seedlings. wonder if its our soils not equating to the original cultivar growing region, or trees arent old enough, or somehow things got mislabeled and were just riding those names out. or maybe just the adaptation of one tree in place and the next generation being slightly more adapted to our climate.
I think it's all of the above, plus the fact that grafted cultivars of elite durians are still very hard to get in Hawaii. And 10 to 20 years ago, the time that trees now are currently producing were planted, it was even way harder to get grafted cultivars. I planted whatever i could find, and so did most growers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:33:46 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »

I think it's all of the above, plus the fact that grafted cultivars of elite durians are still very hard to get in Hawaii. And 10 to 20 years ago, the time that trees now are currently producing were planted, it was even way harder to get grafted cultivars. I planted whatever i could find, and so did most growers.

Sounds right to me. In my travels, I have just as many outstanding seedling durians as named varieties. While the aroma will likely always keep its audience limited, if it grew across a wider region, it would have plenty more local fans.  Count me in.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2021, 06:49:15 PM »
Mike, Oscar isn't the story of musang king about a guy who tasted the fruit then was denied scion wood so he broke into the farm of the source cut the scion and then it became big?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2021, 06:52:45 PM »
Mike, Oscar isn't the story of musang king about a guy who tasted the fruit then was denied scion wood so he broke into the farm of the source cut the scion and then it became big?
Yes somebody posted an artile about him. But he wasn't the one that developed MK, just the one that swiped it and popularized it.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2021, 08:56:04 PM »
There are important durian contests in Malaysia. You can only enter a new, un certified durian.  Famous durians come from these competitions.  Johore challenges with many new durians.
There are growers working on new hybrids.  I have one from a nursery in Kuala Kangsar.  In Borneo you have Suluk.  On Java there are nurseries grafting new hybrids....

In SE Asia most people believe that the best fruits come from older trees.  So most of our Asian selections are not old enough to be really good anyway.
Also, not all durian selections work well in all parts of SE Asia.  Malaysia has a map showing areas that are recommended for specific selections.  Everything is an experiment on our farms.
Peter

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2021, 05:23:36 PM »

Orlando, Florida. zone push?

This Durian is mine and is growing in Fort Lauderdale, NOT Orlando. It is a seedling from Panoramic and is over 7 ft tall. 
FloridaGreenMan

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2021, 06:11:05 PM »

This is the complete photo of my Fort Lauderdale grown Durian. Yes it is unlikely to fruit here but I am a dreamer and Durian is my favorite fruit beating out even Mangos!
FloridaGreenMan

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2021, 06:36:22 PM »
That looks pretty good.
How long has it been in that pot?
How do you feed it?
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2021, 10:35:58 PM »

This is the complete photo of my Fort Lauderdale grown Durian. Yes it is unlikely to fruit here but I am a dreamer and Durian is my favorite fruit beating out even Mangos!
Congrats! Looks very nice. Suggestions: always keep it out of the wind, and don't let it dry out. If you want it to fruit you will have to repot into a much bigger pot.
Oscar

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2021, 12:46:47 AM »
The subject was not enough durian discussion. There we go again, loads of talk about frozen durian....

I have 1 mongthong tree in my garden which grows very well, doesn't fruit well though. The strange thing is that i've had 10 more grafted duriantree's in my garden but they ALL DIED..No matter which variety i planted they just died in full soil. They got sunprotection, elevated soil, fertilizers and sprays but just wouldn't do it. I tried thai varieties, malaysian varieties, they all started to look bad within weeks and never recovered.

Maybe the problem was organic compost mixed in the soil. But my big tree also grows in that.

So if it's even  hard to grow durian at my place it must be even harder in other countries/climates. I call our climate ultra-tropical since temps are always above 15 celcius, day and night.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:57:42 AM by sunny »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2021, 01:01:12 AM »

This Durian is mine and is growing in Fort Lauderdale, NOT Orlando. It is a seedling from Panoramic and is over 7 ft tall.

This one looks great and has a nice size...i've seen bigger ones for sale in pots but they are rare. I would plant this one in full soil, perfect size for that cause they don't fruit in containers...at least i haven't seen it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2021, 02:37:16 AM »

This one looks great and has a nice size...i've seen bigger ones for sale in pots but they are rare. I would plant this one in full soil, perfect size for that cause they don't fruit in containers...at least i haven't seen it.
Once it hits the Florida soil it would probably die, too alkaline. Yes the durian can fruit in a pot, if it's a giant pot.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2021, 06:41:04 AM »
A small tree variety like monthong might have a better chance than some of those malaysian whoppers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2021, 07:18:22 AM »
A small tree variety like monthong might have a better chance than some of those malaysian whoppers.
I would suggest D123 (Chanee) which can start fruiting as a small tree.
Oscar

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2021, 04:52:20 PM »
Question has anyone managed to try keep a SEEDLING durian pruned hard to like 6-8m and managed to get it to fruit?

I know the thais keep their grafted durian pruned mostly but wonder if anyone is doing this successfully with seedlings

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2021, 07:50:08 PM »
We put effort into shaping many seedling as well as grafted trees. In the case of durians I have topped seedlings in an effort to encourage wider branching. But ultimately we let durians grow tall. Most Thais want to pick the fruit so it’s best that they’re not to tall. Since we let the fruit drop, even from 30m we get more fruit with a taller tree. I also feel that the first fruiting could be sooner if not pruned too much.
In a hurricane zone you might have other priorities. Still, I’ve seen large durian cut back heavily without any problem.
Peter

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2021, 08:29:52 PM »
Thanks Peter yeh I think I’m going to trial some heavy pruning at least on some trees, I think it may offer advantages with cyclones as well as a bit of a safety factor for falling fruits. I have a whole bunch of not so sought after seedlings That I’m growing to practice different methods on and see what works.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2021, 08:39:34 PM »
Question has anyone managed to try keep a SEEDLING durian pruned hard to like 6-8m and managed to get it to fruit?

I know the thais keep their grafted durian pruned mostly but wonder if anyone is doing this successfully with seedlings

Wrote a long reply but got logged out so lost the text, sorry new here. Here's a short version.

Have seen seedling durian tree's in Bali with fruit at 5m aproximetly. (big fruit type), (can't guarantee it's a seedling but most likely judging by many factors)
Have seen seedling durian tree's in Bali with fruit at 6m aproximetly. Tree's in full sun and not pruned by humans, but loses some leafs in the dry period so kinda self pruning.

Low young fruit will be more suceptible to the fruit spotting bug.
If the tree's not getting enouhg sun pruning will just be stopping the tree to get to the sun so that I receives the energy to fruit.
We will be keeping some seedlings short so that we can bag the fruit in order to stop the cookatoo.
Currently keeing mango seedlings short, like 1-2m.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange