Author Topic: Can bali salak be grown by side shoots?  (Read 1295 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Can bali salak be grown by side shoots?
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
Hi
Is it possible to grow another salak by taking off the side shoots and replanting?  Any advice on the best way to get them off alive?  I've used a o'o bar (digging stick) to pop them off of the mother...I've never tried to replant though...more for thinning the clump.
Mahalo!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Can bali salak be grown by side shoots?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »
We propagate salak by sucker division.  In my experience simply separating them off and planting yields a poor result.  We go to some trouble.  We prepare a pot, about 1 gallon with some potting soil and make a cut on one side of the pot so that it can fit around the sucker and we tie a string around the pot so it stays in place.  The potting soil needs to stay damp.  We take a pruning saw and carefully make a cut about half way through the connection between the sucker and mother plant.  after a month or so we make another cut about half way through the remaining connection.  Wait another month and remove the sucker, transfer to a larger pot, and let it establish in the new pot, producing a new leaf or two that harden off.  That should work pretty well.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
Taking suckers is the most advisable way or propagating not just Bali salak but each of the Sallaca wallachiana varieties as well.It is done for faster production, sex selection (other than balis),selection of best characters,faster establishment.
Suckers are cut in several events until entirely separated from the parent.Once settled after full detachment they are dug out and planted elsewhere.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:18:28 AM »
Awesome!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk