Author Topic: PSA for those growing persimmon (Diospyros) species from seed.  (Read 511 times)

djseaquist

• United States, California, Escondido, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
PSA for those growing persimmon (Diospyros) species from seed.
« on: October 04, 2023, 01:32:08 AM »
I never had a problem with germinating seeds that are less than inch in width in 3 inch pots until now. Apparently persimmon seedlings had ridiculously long roots compared to the top portion above the soil. Next time I'll definitely use deeper pots for germinating persimmon species.

My only germinated Jackelberry (Diospyros mespiliformis).

My Texas Persimmons (Diospyros texana) look small in their pots but their roots are 3 times the size of the top portion.

Fleep

• United States, Texas, Dallas
    • View Profile
Re: PSA for those growing persimmon (Diospyros) species from seed.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 03:34:14 PM »
If possible, I would experiment with fabric pots in the future. Only issue with 1 gallon fabric pots is that you have to water consistently, but if your consistent with the watering, then you will have a smaller taproot with more fibrous root system that you can decide if you want uppot into a larger conventional pot or continue with a larger fabric pot in the future or directly plant inground with little to no transplant shock.

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 07:46:00 PM »
Thanks! Good to know

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 12:52:40 PM »
I knew that persimmons have long taproots, but I guess this is not common knowledge among all growers. I found out when trying to grow some native American Persimmons. I wanted to transplant some very small seedlings from one part of my woods to another. Impossible, as after digging about 18", I still had yet to find the end of the taproot for a less than 6" tall seedling. Their taproots also do not like disturbance; that is a surefire way of killing them. This is one of the reasons I have shied away from Diospyros species in my collection. The only one I have is Texas Persimmon, and they have never done well as container plants.

djseaquist

• United States, California, Escondido, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 03:17:23 AM »
I knew that persimmons have long taproots, but I guess this is not common knowledge among all growers. I found out when trying to grow some native American Persimmons. I wanted to transplant some very small seedlings from one part of my woods to another. Impossible, as after digging about 18", I still had yet to find the end of the taproot for a less than 6" tall seedling. Their taproots also do not like disturbance; that is a surefire way of killing them. This is one of the reasons I have shied away from Diospyros species in my collection. The only one I have is Texas Persimmon, and they have never done well as container plants.

Interesting. I have done a bit of research into germinating Persimmon species since they can grow anywhere from freezing to tropical temperatures. But I'm surprised because never once I see a source mentioned that Persimmon species have very long taproots.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 12:56:30 PM »

Interesting. I have done a bit of research into germinating Persimmon species since they can grow anywhere from freezing to tropical temperatures. But I'm surprised because never once I see a source mentioned that Persimmon species have very long taproots.

After my failed "excavation," I did some reading on American Persimmon. I should have done that reading before I tried transplanting them, as it was stated in a couple of different books that they have long taproots. In that way, they are as similarly untransplantable as buckeyes, walnuts, pecans, and hickories.

My Texas Persimmons do not have as large or as fleshy a taproot as those American Persimmons; their taproots are thinner, but that taproot shoots down, and, even after a couple of years, there is a relative paucity of lateral roots coming off of it. Even 12" tall tree pots have not been of great help in giving their taproots enough room, and they lack enough lateral roots to become rootbound even in such small containers. I would plant them in my yard, but I am not entirely sure they will survive my winters. I lack a sheltered location where I am certain they will, though at this point, planting them anywhere in my yard is probably preferable to keeping them in containers.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 09:15:48 AM »
That is strange. I have texas persimmons and americans that i bought in pots and they transplanted just fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk