Author Topic: Just got a great recipe that uses avocado leaves  (Read 671 times)

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
Just got a great recipe that uses avocado leaves
« on: September 06, 2023, 04:17:49 PM »
I was just at Oaxacan restaurant that had a delicious appetizer. It uses avocado leaves!

The waitress gave me the recipe.

Cook black beans in water, the way you normally would. Use dry beans, not canned.

After the beans are done, put them in a blender with a handful of avocado leaves. Purée.

Whatever amount of black beans you used, put roughly the same amount of onion in a pan with oil. Burn the onions. Burning them is apparently very important. I don't know if she meant 'brown' but she said 'burn' and reiterated.

When the onions are burned, add them to the beans. But I'm assuming you purée the whole thing again

You put this over tortilla chips, which is why I'm assuming you don't add salt (the tortilla chips are salted)

It's very good. It has sort of a star anise, licorice flavor.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 04:21:53 PM by greg_D »

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Re: Just got a great recipe that uses avocado leaves
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 04:42:46 PM »
This ONLY works for the Mexican botanical group ("race"), which have leaves with an anise scent. So crush the leaves and smell them before you use them, if they don't have a strong scent of anise then they will not work as a culinary herb.

I do this all the time when I make beans, highly recommend it. One thing I recommend is to lightly toast the leaves on a hot pan (until they crumble easily but before they burn) and remove the main leaf veins before pureeing, otherwise you'll get bits of stringy fiber.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 04:45:46 PM by drymifolia »

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 05:15:47 PM »
This ONLY works for the Mexican botanical group ("race"), which have leaves with an anise scent. So crush the leaves and smell them before you use them, if they don't have a strong scent of anise then they will not work as a culinary herb.

I do this all the time when I make beans, highly recommend it. One thing I recommend is to lightly toast the leaves on a hot pan (until they crumble easily but before they burn) and remove the main leaf veins before pureeing, otherwise you'll get bits of stringy fiber.

Thank you! Great info

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 07:21:17 PM »
I should add that the toasting and de-veining is for fully hardened/mature leaves, which usually have the strongest flavor. For tender new growth you can just use them whole and fresh, but the flavor is less intense.

I've tried a bunch of the cultivars in my greenhouse, and some seedlings, and Duke is near the top in flavor, but "Linh" (a new variety donated to our project) is the best. It's somehow a spicier, sweeter taste. I almost want to try making some kind of dessert with it. Or an avocado leaf infused syrup?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:25:46 PM by drymifolia »

Joshirie

• Baie-D'Urfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 04:33:40 AM »
Avocado leaves are used in various Mexican and Central American cuisines to impart a subtle flavor to several dishes including, alfredo sauce homemade. Here's a simplified version of the recipe based on your description:

Ingredients:
    Dry black beans (not canned)
    Avocado leaves
    Onion
    Cooking oil
    Tortilla chips

Instructions:

Cook the Black Beans:
        Rinse and sort the dry black beans to remove any debris.
        Cook them in water until they are soft and tender, following the package instructions or using your preferred method. This typically involves soaking the beans overnight and then simmering them until they're cooked through.

Blend the Beans and Avocado Leaves:
        Once the black beans are cooked, drain them and place them in a blender.
        Add a handful of avocado leaves to the blender as well.
        Blend until you have a smooth purée. You can add a little water if needed to achieve the desired consistency.

Caramelize the Onions:
        Finely chop the onion.
        Heat a pan over medium heat and add some cooking oil.
        Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook until it becomes deeply browned and caramelized. If you want to follow the original instructions, you can even let it get slightly burnt, but be careful not to overdo it.

Combine the Onions and Bean Purée:
        Once the onions are caramelized or slightly burnt, remove them from the heat.
        Add the caramelized onions to the black bean and avocado leaf purée in the blender.

Blend Again:
        Blend the mixture again to incorporate the caramelized onions with the bean purée. This will help distribute the flavors evenly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 05:19:52 AM by Joshirie »

naskarsam

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 04:08:06 AM »
spammer
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:32:39 PM by JakeFruit »