Author Topic: Magana Mamey sapote growing very slowly  (Read 609 times)

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
Magana Mamey sapote growing very slowly
« on: November 03, 2019, 12:38:17 PM »
I purchased a magana Mamey sapote earlier this year along with several other fruit trees. Everything else I’ve planted has grown fairly well throughout the year (jack fruit, lychee, sapodilla) but the Mamey has almost remained the same. The tree is about 2 to 2.5 feet tall and has two main branches. For the past 8 months I’ve seen leaf development at the tip of the branch but they have never really grown. Additionally, I noticed that I can water the tree and 1 to 2 days later the leaves will begin to drop while my other trees seem to have plenty of water. I continue to monitor and give this tree water but I’m shocked that it just isn’t showing any sign of growth. I did add some fertilizer about a month or two ago to give a little boost but still not much to show. I’ll follow up with a picture when I get back to the house but I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience with Mamey. Here’s some more information that could be useful:

Planted location: south side of house
Soil condition: Sandy, dressed with mushroom compost

Thanks!

Will

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
Re: Magana Mamey sapote growing very slowly
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »

Compare with the carambola that I planted at the same time:

Note that it was just watered thoroughly about two days ago and already the leaves are drooping and it’s been overcast all day today.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:29:56 PM by johnsonw »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk