Author Topic: Lisa atemoya and Grumichama cherry  (Read 1611 times)

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Lisa atemoya and Grumichama cherry
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
I have a Lisa atemoya purchased from a local nursery and it is 3 years old. I have three small fruit for the first time, naturally pollinated but the tree looks more like a shrub than a tree. It has a central stem but it is only about 2 inches in diameter and it has 4 very long branches . It is nout 5 feet tall and just as wide. No central stem above the 4 branches that almost touch the ground. I m supporting it with ropes and stakes. It is mulched and gets regular weekly watering. Is this growth natural? Had lots of flowers in April and. Few now. How can I get more fruit. This is my first atemoya and don't know what to expect.

Mt grumichama is 4 years old and about 6 feet with two main branches but very few fruit, it gets regular water and fertilizer but vas very slow growth, suggestions to make it more vigorous please?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Lisa atemoya and Grumichama cherry
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »
Pictures would be helpful. If you let the three fruit stay on the atemoya you will sacrifice allot of growth this
season. I have seen pictures of atemoyas that are shrub-like that you are describing. I've even seen them 15 foot tall and 20
foot wide. I have a lisa, dream, and an Australian atemoya. I trimmed the lower branches off and am trying to get a tree
shape with one main trunk. I have 4 larger and some smaller grunichama, I have noticed mine produce better each year.
I think you will do much better next year if your tree is only 4 years old and had a small amount of fruit this year. If your
grumichama is leggy with 2 main branches, you could prune both branches and make it spread out. Next year you will have
more branches = more fruit. Last year my lisa had one nice fruit on it and I yanked it. I was very happy with the growth it ended up
having. This year it is 7-8 feet and has small fruit on it. I probably will yank them again. It's hard especially since I have never eaten
the fruit. I hope patience will pay off and one day I will get 50+ fruit from my tree. I am also in 9b and want to get growth fast so
the inevitable cold night doesn't kill my tree
Mike

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
Atemoya tip keep growing year after year. The branches get pretty long and tall.

I keep my trees small like bushes. I reduce the branches back to 6" before Spring. The problem is keeping my 2 year old from picking the young fruits.

Watch how to hand pollinate cherimoya on YouTube. You could get many fruits hand pollinating.

kar1ma3

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
Lisa Atemoya - possible rootstock issues, I solved this by planting a new one.
Grumichama - you have to get the best specimen, some nurseries sell just the plant by name, no selections were made. I planted a few from different sources to see the difference. Watering early in the spring and micro nutrients/fertile soil may also help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk