Author Topic: Prune or not to prune Jackfruit Sapling  (Read 1303 times)

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
Prune or not to prune Jackfruit Sapling
« on: June 18, 2019, 02:42:46 AM »

Hi everyone, I just planted the jackfruit into this big pot. Reason for not planting it into the ground directly- the soil layer is not deep enough. I tried digging a hole and was o steucted by a layer of cement about 12 inches from the top layer.

Question: Should I prune the sapling to promote geowth of leader branch and restrict its overall height?

I have pruned the two mango saplings as below. Not sure if I have done it correctly.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Prune or not to prune Jackfruit Sapling
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 04:04:45 PM »
Jackfruit tree is too small, I think i heard R. Cambell say cut at 9’

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 04:21:33 PM »
Indeed too small, i would keep it in pot until 4-5 ft tall. No need to prune anything  now, it needs those leaves to photosynthesize and grow since it doesn't have too many to begin with.
You also must break all that cement at least 3ft wide when ready, hopefully its not too thick of a rock layer and you hit dirt down under again
- Marius

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:22:21 PM »
You also must break all that cement at least 3ft wide when ready, hopefully its not too thick of a rock layer and you hit dirt down under again
I imagine electric jackhammers are available in Singapore. If roots get below the concrete there may be little competition down there.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:08:41 PM »
I imagine electric jackhammers are available in Singapore. If roots get below the concrete there may be little competition down there.

My thought exactly. I believe UFL recommends keeping them 10 - 15 feet in height.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »
My thought exactly. I believe UFL recommends keeping them 10 - 15 feet in height.

I just topped my 7 years old Gold Nugget's leader trunk at 15ft, still waiting for fruit though
And remember that Jackfruit likes to be pruned only in the rainy season, as per Dr. Campbell
- Marius

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk