Author Topic: Red Spanish Pineapple Plants  (Read 7820 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Red Spanish Pineapple Plants
« on: September 17, 2017, 02:15:08 PM »
Here are a few Photos of my Red Spanish pineapple plants getting huge i cant wait till they fruit
should happen in the next few months. I don't plan to force them to flower

Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Red Spanish Pineapple Plants
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »
Those things look like they're about ready to fruit already. Beautiful healthy looking plants, keep us updated.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Those things look like they're about ready to fruit already. Beautiful healthy looking plants, keep us updated.

Simon

Thanks can you believe that's about 8 maybe 9 months of growth and there not even a year old yet

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:08:26 PM »
Put me down first on the list when you have Red Spanish and Cheese Pine pups to sell/trade.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
Put me down first on the list when you have Red Spanish and Cheese Pine pups to sell/trade.

Okay sounds good. I'll let ya know when i have some to sell.... Cheese Pine is getting pretty big to
I'm sure it might fruit around winter time too but we shell see i will take a photo of the plant soon
i only have one plant of cheese pine so not sure how many slips or suckers it will grow

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 08:21:45 PM »
There is a guy on ebay that's selling Red Spanish offsets if anyone is interested here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pineapple-Red-Spanish-offset-plant-collector-variety-/263094938283?hash=item3d41ae2aab:g:incAAOSwXcRZblwv 

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
There is a guy on ebay that's selling Red Spanish offsets if anyone is interested here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pineapple-Red-Spanish-offset-plant-collector-variety-/263094938283?hash=item3d41ae2aab:g:incAAOSwXcRZblwv

Looks like I got the last one.

What kind of soil and fertilizer are you using on those things?  They're huge!

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »

Looks like I got the last one.

What kind of soil and fertilizer are you using on those things?  They're huge!

I use Pro-Mix potting soil. and i start my pineapple plants off with a slow release like Osmocote for the root system than once a month i use Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food for acid loving plants works great little gose's along ways

my white sugarloaf are getting huge too Thanks to Jude from hawaii for giving me the tip on using Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food for acid loving plants.... she said the bigger the plant the bigger the pineapple will get so far she is right about the plants getting huge

if you want more later down the road and once i get some offsets to offer forsale i will keep everyone updated
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:56:43 PM by Evildeadguy »

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »
I'm going to force flower my Red Spanish Pineapple plants soon so that way they will have pineapple growing on them around the same time
its even been said that force flowering pineapple plants that the pineapples turn out to be sweeter than a pineapple plant that hasn't been force flowered... so we shell see how it turn's out

Force flowering them with : Calcium Carbide

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 12:42:32 AM »
its even been said that force flowering pineapple plants that the pineapples turn out to be sweeter than a pineapple plant that hasn't been force flowered... so we shell see how it turn's out
It'll also be higher in calcium and have a harder core, from the same place I found out about the increased sweetness.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »
Update my  Red Spanish Pineapple plants have flowered photo posted below :)

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 03:46:50 PM »
I'm going to force flower my Red Spanish Pineapple plants soon so that way they will have pineapple growing on them around the same time

Evildeadguy, could you tell us (one more time, please ::)) how do you us the Calcium Carbide? When did you apply it to the Red Spanish?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 03:54:09 PM »

Evildeadguy, could you tell us (one more time, please ::)) how do you us the Calcium Carbide? When did you apply it to the Red Spanish?

Make sure you water the pineapple plants first making sure to get water in the center cup where the pineapple will start to flower once water is in the center drop one calcium carbide into the center once it hits the water it will start to smoke up and that's all you need to do beside wait about 2 months and it should flower.... when the smoke is happening keep fire away from it ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:01:26 PM by Evildeadguy »

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 04:35:33 PM »
Thank you! I still have some pineapple plants in the garage with the door opened all day. Introducing them to the sun slowly. Should I put them out for the procedure?  ;D

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 04:42:05 PM »
Thank you! I still have some pineapple plants in the garage with the door opened all day. Introducing them to the sun slowly. Should I put them out for the procedure?  ;D

they should be out in full sun so that way they grow better.... but yeah it would be best to do it outside.... when you get the rocks out of the bottle make sure your hands are dry

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 06:28:31 PM »
Thanks again.  :)

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
Update: Red Spanish Pineapple getting bigger even has slips starting to grown under the pineapple already

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
Here is a better photo of the red spanish pineapple getting bigger with slips growing under the pineapple

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
 Beautiful Jimmy, do you recall giving this plant a lot of fertilizer? I’m guessing that my over fertilization with Nitrogen on my White Jade induced it to form all those slips. I wanted a bunch of slips the first round but now that I have enough plant material, I want bigger fruit and less slips.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
Beautiful Jimmy, do you recall giving this plant a lot of fertilizer? I’m guessing that my over fertilization with Nitrogen on my White Jade induced it to form all those slips. I wanted a bunch of slips the first round but now that I have enough plant material, I want bigger fruit and less slips.

Simon

I only give the pineapple plants fertilizer once a month... each plant is different and wont always grow the same or produce the same amount of slips... but i would guess that to much Nitrogen could have something to do with it 

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »
Here is a photo of slips taken off of my Red Spanish pineapple plant these came off of 2 plants out of 6 still have 4 more plants to remove them from :)

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »
Update Red Spanish Pineapple Ripe still on the plant about to be picked :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
Jimmy, that thing looks like a beast. Let us know how it tastes when you eat it. A Brix reading would be great if you have a refractometer.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Lesson learned what I mean by that is that if you remove the slips that grow underneath the pineapple not on the stock but underneath the pineapple and you take a chance of the pineapple rotting and going bad before it's ripe I removed the slips a few months back and as the pineapple started to turn ripe the bottom half of the pineapple turned rotten so I didn't get a chance to eat them I won't be doing this again so lesson learned

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 12:27:30 AM »
Jimmy, that’s good to know but too late for me. My White Jade had some slips growing from under the Fruit and I removed one of them about a month ago. The Fruit looks ok so far and we are in Summer now so the growth is faster and hopefully the plant can outgrow the wound.

The beastly Fruit you posted a picture of looks like it was already fully ripe. I wonder if it would have been edible if you picked it when it’s half yellow.

Simon