Author Topic: Green Mango Salad with Shrimps  (Read 4734 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Green Mango Salad with Shrimps
« on: November 02, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
serves 3-4  (1-2 if you eat as much as I do)

Apart from the shrimps, nothing else were "cooked".  Simply fresh and full of flavors.
I like everything fresh so I don't like to use fried shallots and/or fried garlic, though they do add some flavors, but not to my liking.  I also hate adding lime juice to this recipe like others because a sour mango has its own flavor, lime juice easily overpowers it and make it taste like everything else with lime.  Though if your only option is store bought green mangoes where brix is fairly high, relatively speaking, then you'd have no choice but add lime juice.  Can't use non-acidic green eating mangoes like Keow Savoy - wouldn't taste right.  This particular brand of fish sauce we use isn't too salty, at least when compared to some others. 

Ingredients:
2 average sized green mangoes,
1/2 pound of shrimps
1 handful spearmint leaves
1 handful Thai basil leaves
1/8 cup of granulated sugar
1/8 cup of fish sauce
3 garlic cloves
3-5 chilies (I use Goats Weed & Tabasco chilies, ± depends how spicy you like it)

Sauce:
Combine sugar, chilies & garlic (crush the cloves first to prevent them flopping about) in a mortar.  Pound with pestle until a consistent watery paste.  Add fish sauce and stir evenly.

Preparation:
Shrimps:  de-veined, don't over cook and halved lengthwise.
Mangoes:  julienned, mandoline slicer made quick work of this.
Mint & Basil leaves:  chopped.

Combine the above in a mixing bowl, pour sauce over and toss evenly.  I always like to work the sauce into my mango & shrimps so that's what the picture shows.  Add some more chilies for garnish ;D

This is my recipe and I approve it!!!!!!
Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Green Mango Salad with Shrimps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »
Looks tasty, thank you for the detailed recipe with photos. I will try to get around to making it sometime.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »
yes, looks excellent.  I have had a green mango salad extremely similar except it did not have the shrimp but did have fresh squeezed lime juice added.
- Rob

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 06:57:41 AM »
Beautiful photos and a lovely recipe.  Thank you for posting it.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:43:37 PM »
You're welcome, let me know what guys think after making it.
Tim

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
You're welcome, let me know what guys think after making it.
Unfortunately for me, I will have to wait till mango season next year...I am certainly not wasting the ingredients or time to make this with am off season grocery store mango.  Even using it green, bad is bad.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:33:15 PM »
There aren't many ethnic foods I won't eat.  The cuisine of most of the countries of SE Asia, with their use of fesh ingredients, especially the use of raw plant material is very appealing.  That fish sauce business can be a little funky, but when all mixed together, it adds to the entire flavor structure.  I probably won't ever make this at my house, but I wouldn't mine stopping by Tim's to see if it tastes as good as it looks. :P
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »
There aren't many ethnic foods I won't eat.  The cuisine of most of the countries of SE Asia, with their use of fesh ingredients, especially the use of raw plant material is very appealing.  That fish sauce business can be a little funky, but when all mixed together, it adds to the entire flavor structure.  I probably won't ever make this at my house, but I wouldn't mine stopping by Tim's to see if it tastes as good as it looks. :P
Fish sauce in a commonly used item in my house...it is not funky and nothing to be hesitant in using.  It is as commonly used as soy sauce and a staple in Thai and Vietnamese cooking.  Just make sure yo get a quality product...go to an "oriental" market and look for the "three Crabs" brand.

- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:01:18 AM »
Well, some fish sauces I have encountered have been quite funky.  Most are fermented enough to be sort of soy sauceish or worcestershire sauceish.  However, the ones that I have encountered which were less fermented, were quite fishy and smelly and pretty darned funky, by my standards anyway.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »
Well, some fish sauces I have encountered have been quite funky.  Most are fermented enough to be sort of soy sauceish or worcestershire sauceish.  However, the ones that I have encountered which were less fermented, were quite fishy and smelly and pretty darned funky, by my standards anyway.
That is exactly why it is important to go with a good, quality sauce.  Also, as with soy sauces, when they are old (out of date) or are opened too long and sitting around, they get funky and fermented-like.   With both fish sauce and soy sauce, it is best to refrigerate them after opening.  It slows down that fermenting process.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »
This has actaully nothing to do with quality of the product.  The less fermented sauces are supposed to be that way and are not a product of sitting around.  It provides the food it is used in with a different flavor............yes, a more funky flavor. ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
Anytime, buddy, anytime

I probably won't ever make this at my house, but I wouldn't mine stopping by Tim's to see if it tastes as good as it looks. :P
Tim

marvelz

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 05:19:17 AM »
This looks absolutely amazing. I have no qualms with any of the ingredients in this one. I really love shrimp. This is a new recipe for me to make with them. Great stuff!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk