Author Topic: Question about effects of miracle fruit  (Read 7587 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Question about effects of miracle fruit
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
How would you describe the sweetness' effect on foods? Like actual sugar being added or like a sweetener? E.g.- (like aspartame lemon or sugar lemon?) I'm planning on buying a plant this spring and wanted to know. :)
Anisha

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Question about effects of miracle fruit
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »
"In  1968, scientists isolated the active protein responsible for making things taste sweet. Because of its miraculous way of making things taste so good, the protein was dubbed miraculin. When miracle fruit is consumed, the miraculin in the berry binds to the taste buds on the tongue. A person has receptors on their taste buds that identify sweet, sour, bitter and savory tastes. Normally, if you were to eat a lemon, your sour receptors would start firing. Under the influence of miraculin, however, the sweet receptors start signaling and suppress the sour tastes. The miraculin rewires the sweet receptors to temporarily identify acids as sugars."
- Rob

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
It makes marginal fruit taste incredible.  It's more than just amping the flavor & removing acidity. Phalsa and unripe mulberry taste like hard candy.  Starfruit becomes mouthwatering. Malt vinegar tastes like maple syrup. Definitely worth having .

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »
My personal opinion, not definitely worth having on its merits alone.  More of a novelty unless looking to sell the fruit or for specific reason such as looking to negate cancer treatment side effects.  Just my opinion...
- Rob

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
My personal opinion, not definitely worth having on its merits alone.  More of a novelty unless looking to sell the fruit or for specific reason such as looking to negate cancer treatment side effects.  Just my opinion...
Rob,
Thanks for the blurb! Think I might find a way to try some before I invest. Seems like one of those things one has to experience on their own first. Probably going to order some from Flying Fox Fruits.:)
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »
It makes marginal fruit taste incredible.  It's more than just amping the flavor & removing acidity. Phalsa and unripe mulberry taste like hard candy.  Starfruit becomes mouthwatering. Malt vinegar tastes like maple syrup. Definitely worth having .
Lisa,
I've never thought of trying them with unripe fruits. Like I said to Bsbullie, I'm probably going to order some fruits to try to see if they're worth growing for me.
Anisha

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »
Rob,
Thanks for the blurb! Think I might find a way to try some before I invest. Seems like one of those things one has to experience on their own first. Probably going to order some from Flying Fox Fruits.:)

Yeah.  I have seen a few people who think it has a good taste but most just try for the effects or for medicinal purposes. While it varies from person to person, the effects in seem to last from 30 min to a couple hours so sitting down to a bowl of fruit could be off putting.  Plus, there is not a whole lot of flesh around the seed.

Might as well taste it and see what you think.  The plant looks good and in a greenhouse, if you have the room, you could always grow it and sell the fruit.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »
Lisa,
I've never thought of trying them with unripe fruits. Like I said to Bsbullie, I'm probably going to order some fruits to try to see if they're worth growing for me.

While everyone has their opinions, if I have to eat a supplement to make the fruit artificially taste good, why would I need to eat the fruit.
- Rob

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 04:22:57 AM »
On the plus side a two foot tall one in a 12 inch pot will give you enough of them each year for the novelty to wear off. If you want seeds you csn have them for postage.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:09:40 PM by echinopora »

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »
If you are looking to reduce cane sugar intake and currently use sugar in smoothies, juices, or on fruit, it is a wonderful plant to have. I have a miracle fruit before my smoothies and before eating berries because they taste so much better afterwards. The best is making lemonade without any sugar - just fresh lemon juice and water. It tastes just like sugar filled lemon aid after one miracle fruit. I now make all my fruit juices without sugar - guanábana, mora, naranjilla.
They are easy to grow in a pot with peat moss and a little sand. Just water with rain water. I keep a shallow pan of water under mine. I add coffee grounds and compost from time to time.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »
The couple of times I tried Miracle fruit I did not experience the desired results. Does it not work for everybody or did I get bad fruit?

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 04:00:54 PM »
Just disregard what the online buillie says and enjoy the experience.
I didn't really read what he said but I assume it's something that deters people from experiencing it the first time.
As mentioned it's more of a novelty than to indulge.

Granted the fruit is small, bite and slosh it a around your entire mouth.
This will enhance the effects and aid you in enjoying your experience.
The effects last 1 hour or more with this method, rather than chew and swallow.
I have a few diabetic friends that enjoy this fruit with tart passion fruit, oranges, and they love it.

Initially I was concerned about it as much as you, lots of negative reviews but I said screw it and purchased a small 2 foot tree.
Several years later it's 4 times larger with fruit 2-3 times a year by the handfuls.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:03:15 PM by waxy »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »
I didn't really read what he said but I assume it's something that deters people from experiencing it the first time.
As mentioned about it's more of a novelty than to indulge.

Granted the fruit is small, bite and slosh it a round your entire mouth.
I have a few diabetic friends that enjoy this fruit with tart passion fruit, oranges, and they love it.

Initially I was concerned about it as much as you, lots of negative reviews but I said screw it and purchased a small 2 foot tree.
Several years later it's 4 times larger with fruit 2-3 times a year by the handfuls.

I really dont care what the experts think.  Its obviosly waxy is an expert and only his advice should be followed.  Its a known fact he has way more experience with growing and sharing with others.  In fact, he can probably explain why its the most popular selling of all fruit trees and shrubs and why everyone should have it.

I am really a total moron who just posts garbage without any knowledge on the subject.  I make it all up out of thin air as I go along.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
The couple of times I tried Miracle fruit I did not experience the desired results. Does it not work for everybody or did I get bad fruit?

I have shared the fruit with what I would guess is well over a hundred people and there was only one person I can recall who said they did not experience any effects from it.
- Rob

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »
As mentioned about it's more of a novelty than to indulge.

Granted the fruit is small, bite and slosh it a round your entire mouth.

I really dont care what the experts think.  Its obviosly waxy is an expert and only his advice should be followed.  Its a known fact he has way more experience with growing and sharing with others.  In fact, he can probably explain why its the most popular selling of all fruit trees and shrubs and why everyone should have it.

I am really a total moron who just posts garbage without any knowledge on the subject.  I make it all up out of thin air as I go along.
XD
Anisha

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 04:53:07 PM »
I personally think it is more of a novelty thing, but for those who genuinely can't have sugar it is great.  I think it just makes things taste artificially sweetened, which I don't like.  But if you don't mind that "flavor" then you'll probably like it more than me.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
How would you describe the sweetness' effect on foods? Like actual sugar being added or like a sweetener? E.g.- (like aspartame lemon or sugar lemon?) I'm planning on buying a plant this spring and wanted to know. :)
In my opinion miracle fruit has a kind of sacharin like taste, and even after taste. I like it with certain fruits, but not so much with others. It's also good with some wines, and other foods, not just fruits. Granted that in this country it is mostly a novelty. But i think that is largely due to the fact that the FDA, with pressure from sugar industries, did not approve miracle fruit as a sweetness enhancer. In other countries where there is not this legal barrier miracle fruit does indeed have commercial uses. For example, in Japan i've heard it is widely grown and used. The Japanese have also found a patented way to freeze dry the fruit and maintain the effects. The Chinese have copied this method and sell it as a sweetness enhancer. There are restaurants in Japan that specialize in low calorie foods. They serve desserts with miracle fruit that are very low calorie but taste very sweet.
Oscar

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
Thank you all for the responses. I will be trading a Sundrops (Eugenia victoriana) seedling with a friend of mine from FL for some fruits. Based off of mixed responses, (Like I said before) its probably best that I try some fruits for myself! ;)
Anisha

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 10:44:09 PM »
Thank you all for the responses. I will be trading a Sundrops (Eugenia victoriana) seedling with a friend of mine from FL for some fruits. Based off of mixed responses, (Like I said before) its probably best that I try some fruits for myself! ;)

Agreed and despite an ignorant reaponse from another member, I was just passing on information based on my direct eating experience and the responses from many many people I have shared the eating experience with.
- Rob

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 10:50:10 PM »

Agreed and despite an ignorant reaponse from another member, I was just passing on information based on my direct eating experience and the responses from many many people I have shared the eating experience with.
I get it. One could say the response was a bit unnecessary lol.
Anisha

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 11:00:36 PM »

To add to different people have different tastes...Oscar knkws i respect him and his opinions, experience and knowledge very much but as I said before, if I need to artificially sweeten a fruit, then I would rather not eat that fruit.  I would also never want to make a wine sweet.  I could not imagine the taste of a Rhone, Bordeaux, Cali Cab, Burgundy or any other red table wine after eating a miracle fruit.  If I want a dessert wine I will drink a dessert wine (and I very much enjoy a dessert wine).  Sorry Oscar, just my 2 pennies...
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 11:32:02 PM »

To add to different people have different tastes...Oscar knkws i respect him and his opinions, experience and knowledge very much but as I said before, if I need to artificially sweeten a fruit, then I would rather not eat that fruit.  I would also never want to make a wine sweet.  I could not imagine the taste of a Rhone, Bordeaux, Cali Cab, Burgundy or any other red table wine after eating a miracle fruit.  If I want a dessert wine I will drink a dessert wine (and I very much enjoy a dessert wine).  Sorry Oscar, just my 2 pennies...
It's been used in Africa to improve taste of wine, where probably wine is inferior quality, there is not so much selection, and people are a lot poorer.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
I have had a couple of really good Bordeaux blends from South Africa but most I have tried have been mediocre to lousy.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 11:36:16 PM »
I make my own water kefir ( probiotic ) which is rather acidic,  I tried it the other day with miracle berry, now it taste like a sweet soda.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
I have had a couple of really good Bordeaux blends from South Africa but most I have tried have been mediocre to lousy.

South Africa has many world class wines and hundreds of excellent vineyards in the cape wine route, but S.A is unique in Africa with a strange history.  Many other African countries dont have the climate or the money and infrastructure for this, I can imagine selection being very poor.

I still cant wait to try miracle fruit, better than adding sugar at least im sure! Rather than adding honey or something to a tart fruit add a miracle fruit before:) Sometimes you like a fruit but it is just a bit tart to enjoy plain.
I like Merlot and my wife like sweet wine maybe then we could both drink merlot ha ha

Edit:

Ok looking after posting this seems African wines from the rest of the continent are coming up in the world! good stuff :)

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/09/business/five-african-wines-making-a-splash/index.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:31:08 AM by stuartdaly88 »
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau