Author Topic: Late blooming citrus  (Read 1198 times)

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Late blooming citrus
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:45:28 PM »
A few weeks ago my little Changshou/Fukushu kumquat bloomed profusely. One of my Kishu mandarins keeps throwing out sporadic blooms and all three Dekopon mandarins keep blooming.  Now my two year old NZ Lemonade tree is starting to bloom in mid October. Is there a trick to train these things to bloom at the proper times?  At least my Meyer lemon trees are holding off for now.
TFN

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Late blooming citrus
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 03:19:51 AM »
Cold weather, depend how cold and light intensive they may abort some fruit.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 07:21:36 AM »
My meiwa bloomed about a month ago but it hadn’t bloomed earlier this year which I attributed to it needing the heat of summer that I don’t have much of as far as citrus is concerned. I also noticed that one of my red bud trees started blooming a few weeks ago. The southeastern US has had a lot of rain this summer with hurricanes and other random rain storms. Maybe our trees are stressed from all the rain and are blooming out of season as a result.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
All of my "quats" bloom from late June until first frost. One thing you don't want to do with inground citrus is fertilize after Aug 1st.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »
I haven't fertilized since mid July, but my soil is fairly fertile.  This is the first time the NZ Lemonade has ever bloomed, but it has only been in ground for 2 years. I understand the Dekopon can carry two fruit loads at once, but the Kishu is hard to figure out.  It bloomed early, but got hit by late freeze, and  recently started blooming sporadically and just keeps going.

TFN