Author Topic: Mulberries sensitive to nematodes?  (Read 2881 times)

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Mulberries sensitive to nematodes?
« on: February 24, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
I've got a Pakistani (Maybe Himalayan? Maybe they're the same thing?) and Australian white mulberry, and both of them are grafted trees. I know many mulberries are just propagated by cuttings, and I was wondering if there was a reason why I've seen more grafted examples of these varieties. In FL the answer to many rootstock questions is nematodes, so that was my default assumption, but I don't really know and I'd like to find out.

So, has anyone in FL had good luck propagating these two varieties in ground by just rooting cuttings? Is grafting on to a native red mulberry rooted cutting better? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:22:18 PM by TheDom »
Dom

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberries sensitive to nematodes?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:12:42 AM »
 Is the Australian white the same as King Shatoot?
 Is the pakistan the same as the himalayan?

I bought a king shatoot a couple years ago from Just Fruits. They were out of the Pakistan mulberry
and gave me 3 fresh cuttings from a dormant tree. I set them up and 2 out of 3 rooted no problem. I gave one to a friend and planted the other one. The following winter the tree was 6 foot and flushed out early. We had a late frost and the tree died. The friend I gave the other tree to had done an airlayer on his tree and he gave me the small tree. Since then I have heard many people say how difficult it is to root cuttings from  either tree. I pruned my King shatoot one summer and set up 12 cuttings and none rooted. The King shatoot I purchased from Just Fruits was grown from a cutting. It is a wonderful tree now and a heavy producer. It also has survived several frosts but lost it's fruit one year. We had a night last year that was 30F for 3 hours and both of my trees weren't affected.

Mike

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:36:49 PM »
Is the Australian white the same as King Shatoot?
 Is the pakistan the same as the himalayan?

I bought a king shatoot a couple years ago from Just Fruits. They were out of the Pakistan mulberry
and gave me 3 fresh cuttings from a dormant tree. I set them up and 2 out of 3 rooted no problem. I gave one to a friend and planted the other one. The following winter the tree was 6 foot and flushed out early. We had a late frost and the tree died. The friend I gave the other tree to had done an airlayer on his tree and he gave me the small tree. Since then I have heard many people say how difficult it is to root cuttings from  either tree. I pruned my King shatoot one summer and set up 12 cuttings and none rooted. The King shatoot I purchased from Just Fruits was grown from a cutting. It is a wonderful tree now and a heavy producer. It also has survived several frosts but lost it's fruit one year. We had a night last year that was 30F for 3 hours and both of my trees weren't affected.

Mike

Yes, I think so to both of those variety name questions. I guess I need to just root some cuttings and try them next to some that I've grafted on to a red and see how they do side by side. Currently I've got tons more wood of the unnamed red mulberry that fruits all year, so I've been rooting those then grafting on to them, but once these put on more size it'd be good to know if just using cuttings is just as good. Thanks.
Dom

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:02:56 PM »
Dom
I am not sure if I have the unnamed red variety you say is everbearing. These common names are so confusing. I have a large fruited with large leaves I think people call Tice, and I have a small fruited smaller tree that I have heard called the dwarf everbearing. Do either of these sound like your red one?
The dwarf everbearing the fruit turn black when ripe. I live close to LaBelle and would love to get this red one if it is different? I went by Echo this week and they are selling Pakistan and Himalayan mulberries next to each other. They are dormant and have no leaves to compare. I wasn't sure if they are the same tree? The dwarf everbearing I have is the easiest tree to root I have ever seen. I put 3-4 cuttings in dirt with no dome or bag and at least 3 take.
Mike   

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 04:03:33 PM »
So.... the question is/was "Mulberries sensitive to nematodes?" Anyone able to answer that question before derailing the thread? Not that I'm the thread police or anything ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:11:33 PM by fyliu »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 04:48:10 PM »
Rob states AU whites are grafted because they are difficult to root from cuttings:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=12985.msg165109#msg165109

I have rooted Pakistani from cuttings.
Brandon

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:17:20 PM »
Rob states AU whites are grafted because they are difficult to root from cuttings:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=12985.msg165109#msg165109

I have rooted Pakistani from cuttings.

Excellent, thank you!
Dom

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 08:29:20 PM »
i believe they can be susceptible to root knot nematodes, depending on the variety, and planting location!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16569626
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 08:47:58 PM »
Dom
I am not sure if I have the unnamed red variety you say is everbearing. These common names are so confusing. I have a large fruited with large leaves I think people call Tice, and I have a small fruited smaller tree that I have heard called the dwarf everbearing. Do either of these sound like your red one?
The dwarf everbearing the fruit turn black when ripe. I live close to LaBelle and would love to get this red one if it is different? I went by Echo this week and they are selling Pakistan and Himalayan mulberries next to each other. They are dormant and have no leaves to compare. I wasn't sure if they are the same tree? The dwarf everbearing I have is the easiest tree to root I have ever seen. I put 3-4 cuttings in dirt with no dome or bag and at least 3 take.
Mike

I cant find any pics of the one out back, but it seems about like what you describe. It throws up new shoots like mad, and seems to enjoy getting cut back hard every so often. I got it from a nursery around the corner, and he didn't have a name on it other than "red mulberry." Fruit is dark purple to black when ripe, roots extremely easily, and grafting the australian on to it has been pretty easy, no takes with the Himalayan/Pakistani/whatever it is. You're welcome to come out and check it out whenever, just PM me. (I'm in Buckingham).

You know, I honestly can't remember if I picked that one up as a Himalayan or a Pakistani. I know it was from Fruitscapes. Now that I think about it it may be Himalayan that it was sold as, though this source and others seem to indicate they are the same thing: http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/himalayan-mulberry.htm

I had an Illinois overbearing from another nursery that grew to a decent size then tanked. It is still sort of hanging in there, but barely. I'll dig up some roots soon and see if there is evidence of nematode damage.
Dom

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
So.... the question is/was "Mulberries sensitive to nematodes?" Anyone able to answer that question before derailing the thread? Not that I'm the thread police or anything ;)

Thanks for keeping us on track. I figured we'd eventually meander on back to talking about those devil worms.
Dom

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 11:47:59 AM »
i have a red that volunteered in my yard
and a black everbearing i planted, both are doing well.
and ive had nematode issues with papaya and pepper plants in the past.

i think the red will be more hardy and resistant
as it grows wild in the south.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk