Author Topic: is this po pyu kalay salvageable?  (Read 1565 times)

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
is this po pyu kalay salvageable?
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:12:55 AM »
Good news: my tiny 6-year old NDM4 is flowering!

Less fantastic news: the adjacent pu pyu kalay tree (also in the ground 6-years) is doing poorly. Any ideas why the trunk is leaking sap all over the place like this?

I've also noticed the root system weakening, and the tree (which is not tiny - the trunk is about 4" in diameter, and it is about 8 feet tall) has begun to lean. We have had virtually no rainfall over the past 12 months, but I have been doing my best to hand water things as much as possible.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: is this po pyu kalay salvageable?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
Looks salvageable to me. I have a Lemon Zest Mango tree on Florida Turpentine rootstock that has that, not as much as your tree, only a few spots where that sap is coming out. I never found out exactly what it is but I assume it's caused from an imbalance of plant hormones and cold weather.

Do you have any parts of your tree that that is girdled by a label, plant tag? How cold does it get when you are?

My tree is still doing ok considering that Florida Turpentine is not the best rootstock for where I live. How does the top of this tree look?

Simon

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »
You could try to in-arch a seedling above the sap area if the tree is no longer growing well.

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »
Looks salvageable to me. I have a Lemon Zest Mango tree on Florida Turpentine rootstock that has that, not as much as your tree, only a few spots where that sap is coming out. I never found out exactly what it is but I assume it's caused from an imbalance of plant hormones and cold weather.

Do you have any parts of your tree that that is girdled by a label, plant tag? How cold does it get when you are?

My tree is still doing ok considering that Florida Turpentine is not the best rootstock for where I live. How does the top of this tree look?

Simon

It's never cold down here, but we have had a VERY dry last 12-18 months. I'm wondering if it's a combination of that and an opportunistic insect infection?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »
At first, I thought it was a type of borer insect resting the hole causing the sap to come out but upon closer inspection, the sap was coming out of cracks in the bark. I did a quick search and found some articles saying that it could be an imbalance of plant hormones that can lead to uneven expansion of the plant causing the cracks and sap.

Perhaps the uneven amount of water is causing uneven expansion issues with the trunk of your tree?

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk