Author Topic: Mango epidemic spreading in my yard  (Read 4704 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Mango epidemic spreading in my yard
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
About 6 weeks ago I noticed my coconut cream tree started to wilt and have dieback. I thought maybe it was frost damage from a few really cold nights. 4 weeks ago, I noticed similar symptoms in my sweet tart, juicy peach, peach cobbler, and Edward trees. The Edward tree had dieback straight back to the graft union.

Today I noticed cotton candy tree is showing some early signs with leaf spotting and browning and some wilting of the green branches. Seems like an infection of sorts to me as all the affected trees are in close proximity to each other.

Any thoughts as to infection type? Phomopsis? Verticillium wilt? Anthracnose?

Any way to save the trees? I’ve cut some way back to clean bark. I sprayed with fungicide today. Any systemic drenches that could be done?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Mango epidemic spreading in my yard
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 12:53:38 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Try to dose it abound and Argifos, most probably you are getting hit with Phomosis, its a killer. if you dont have any of these, I can get you some. do a drench.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »
Behl -- I was looking to take pictures of the phoenix I had and send it to you when I noticed the cotton candy is now showing the dieback symptoms and figured enough is enough. After you had mentioned fungus, I figured the rains we had must have contributed to this outbreak.

Is there a recommended dose for Agrifos soil drench? I have agrifos but the instructions only show foliar spray. I did a foliar spray of agrifos, liquicop, and dacronil today. I also have copper hydroxide and can check out the abound as well.

The cotton candy bark is still green on the areas I scratch, but at the crotch that I took a picture of, where it looks black, the bark slides really easily which reminds me of fungal infection or rotting bark that I've seen on rotting fig cuttings.

-K

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 01:07:33 PM »
Hummm What root stock are they on? I keep hearing Florida mango's don;t do well in California... Not sure why this happen's????
Joe

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
Behl -- I was looking to take pictures of the phoenix I had and send it to you when I noticed the cotton candy is now showing the dieback symptoms and figured enough is enough. After you had mentioned fungus, I figured the rains we had must have contributed to this outbreak.

Is there a recommended dose for Agrifos soil drench? I have agrifos but the instructions only show foliar spray. I did a foliar spray of agrifos, liquicop, and dacronil today. I also have copper hydroxide and can check out the abound as well.

The cotton candy bark is still green on the areas I scratch, but at the crotch that I took a picture of, where it looks black, the bark slides really easily which reminds me of fungal infection or rotting bark that I've seen on rotting fig cuttings.

-K

Dont over do these chemicals. I spray once a year to all mangoes for this reason. spraying after you see symptoms may work but its too little too late. Get a spray regime. even them I get dieback. we had exceptionally dry winter this year.

I would encourage you to plant seeds or buy small seedlings of mangoes and put them into ground. then graft onto them once established. best resistance to such diseases IMHO.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »
They are all turpentine but... the lower half all seems fine. The damage seems to be coming from the top down. THat doesn't mean that the culprit isn't the roots because damage to the roots would result in damage to the farthest (most distal) growths which would be the outer branches and work it's way down, but the way this process is spreading makes me think it's an infectious process with a patient/plant 0 and surrounding plants now showing similar symptoms. I also have adjacent dragon fruit with big rust red spots and 1 rotting limb that may be part of this process.

Not sure what to do other than cut away the pieces and start again.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Hummm What root stock are they on? I keep hearing Florida mango's don;t do well in California... Not sure why this happen's????

possibly turpentine does well on wet feet? we cant get wet feet here and if we water like Florida conditions we will end up with salt deposits from Municipal Water. Its now a proved fact that Florida Turpies here in CA grow droopy and are magnet to lots of diseases. Even CA rootstock gets Phomosis, best is in ground seedlings.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
They are all turpentine but... the lower half all seems fine. The damage seems to be coming from the top down. THat doesn't mean that the culprit isn't the roots because damage to the roots would result in damage to the farthest (most distal) growths which would be the outer branches and work it's way down, but the way this process is spreading makes me think it's an infectious process with a patient/plant 0 and surrounding plants now showing similar symptoms. I also have adjacent dragon fruit with big rust red spots and 1 rotting limb that may be part of this process.

Not sure what to do other than cut away the pieces and start again.

it always start from top, I have not saved a single tree when this type of systemic has hit my trees, lost down to the stump. Best bet is to cut the trunk down to good wood, seal it, and cross your fingers. Drench with Argifos. I use 3 OZ/2 gallon.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear about your trees.

I had what appears to be exactly the same problem on my small Mallika and Ice Cream trees earlier this year.  I thought it was phytopthora, so I tried AgriFos on both, but it didn't help.  I also tried pruning them back hard but the infection continued from the point where I pruned.  It also got the new growth below.  I don't know what it was but whatever it was, it killed them both within 2 weeks.  I've never seen anything like it.  And now I'm scared to plant trees in those holes.

Good luck!
Scott

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 03:58:36 PM »
Hi Behl, I was wondering why you recommend such a high dose of Agri-Fos and only once a year?  The directions state two teaspoons per gallon sprayed every 14 days while blooming and every 30 days when not blooming.  Due to this short interval application rate I'm assuming the systemic effect doesn't last long.

Bill

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »
I don't normally need to use AgriFos on my mango trees, but my durian seedlings require application every 30 days or they get assaulted by whatever plague is currently in the air. 

Mango trees are certainly tougher, but I'd still consider regularly scheduled applications to keep them from getting infected if that's an issue in your area. 

Regards,
Scott

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
Hi Behl, I was wondering why you recommend such a high dose of Agri-Fos and only once a year?  The directions state two teaspoons per gallon sprayed every 14 days while blooming and every 30 days when not blooming.  Due to this short interval application rate I'm assuming the systemic effect doesn't last long.

Bill

I focus more on fireblight that I have on my apples and pears and have gummosis on store fruits and mangoes. I go heavy dose once a year before bud break. I dont follow their regime because we have very dry weather. In place like Florida it washes off quick.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 06:29:29 PM »
I’m sorry about your trees. Are your trees in ground? Did you over amend with organic matter? What type of fertilizer did you use?

The symptoms do look like Phomopsis but the only way to tell for sure is to send out sample which most of us aren’t willing to do. Since you are in a desperate situation, I would recommend using Abound after you familiarize yourself with the instructions and warnings. The rate would be 1tsp/gallon of water. Class 11 Fungicides are no joke and if used improperly, organisms will build up resistance. Maybe someone in your area has Abound or another fungicide that is effective against Phomopsis. If you can get Abound and decide to use it, read all instructions and warnings carefully. It can kill Apple trees for example, even in minute quantities. You also want to make sure you wear appropriate Personal Protective equipment/gear.

If you catch symptoms early enough and immediately spray, you can save trees. Your trees are close to the tipping point of no return but there’s still hope.

Many Florida trees planted in SoCal end up like this and I’m glad you were brave enough to post this and ask for help. Many other people have experienced this, myself included. Usually the Florida trees take several years to look as bad as yours so I’m guessing there’s something about your yard/climate/diseases in your yard or plant husbandry that may have accelerated your trees decline.

Hopefully you can save your trees but if they don’t make it, try planting Mango seeds of Polyembryonic and Monoembryonic varieties and graft onto the most vigorous seedlings.

I love Mangos so much and I hate seeing people loose trees like this. This is one of the reasons why I perform all my experiments. I may be selling some grafted trees on seedling rootstocks in the coming years.

Simon

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about this. Hope, the experts' recommendations will do good
for your trees. 3 out of 5 of my mango trees I bought beginning in Sept. 2014
I suspect to be of Turpentine rootstock too, - this was prior to me started
reading about it in this forum - , so I am following this  thread closely.

Wishing the best outcome to your trees!
Sam

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »
Where can I get  Abound at a reasonable price? all I see in the internet is one gallon varying from $250 plus!
Is there a way I can get a pint or less I only have a few trees and don't want to spend all that money on a gallon that may expire before I can use it all.
Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 09:13:34 AM »
Where can I get  Abound at a reasonable price? all I see in the internet is one gallon varying from $250 plus!
Is there a way I can get a pint or less I only have a few trees and don't want to spend all that money on a gallon that may expire before I can use it all.
Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post a group order request and see if anyone in your nearby areas are interested. That's what we did here. Split between 4.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
I believe 1 gallon is the smallest size they sell. The best thing to do is to get a group together and then go in on a gallon or find someone that has already purchased a gallon and try to buy some off of them. The problem is that when buying partial bottles off a friend, they are not likely to come with instructions and warning labels but this can be found online.

Abound is a great emergency systemic fungicide if you carefully follow the directions and warnings. There is a fungal disease that is also affecting Sweetheart Lychees here in SoCal. My friend just lost his huge Sweetheart Lychee but when I saw symptoms on my tree, I immediately sprayed and was able to save the tree.

Simon

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »
Thanks, for the suggestions.
Does it comes with an expiration date?
So I assume it can be use on other trees? I have a pear tree that has started to get some branches affected by some black disease as well. I had to cut one of the branches way down to stop the spreading to the whole tree. And had to pug one of my mangoes from what it seems the same problem in the process to save the ice cream tree I lost my LZ graft. :(

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 10:40:25 AM »
Thanks, for the suggestions.
Does it comes with an expiration date?
So I assume it can be use on other trees? I have a pear tree that has started to get some branches affected by some black disease as well. I had to cut one of the branches way down to stop the spreading to the whole tree. And had to pug one of my mangoes from what it seems the same problem in the process to save the ice cream tree I lost my LZ graft. :(

Pear and Apples are affected by fireblight that causes blackening and death of branches, even see liquid running down from top. Although they say there is no cure for it, Argifos should be sprayed be bud break stage in winter and before flowering to kill bacteria. I sprayed this year on apples and will let you know if it helped.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
Thanks, even though is bad news.
I ordered Argifos from Amazon yesterday. I will probably get it tomorrow. Should I use it on the pear tree anyway? It just started to break buds so I don't know if it is hopeless at this time.
Its so sad to see your trees die.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 01:47:56 PM »
Tree won't die.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 02:37:26 PM »
But you said there is no cure for fireblight, the branch that got black was dead. All the leaves fell off it and it looked bad. so, I assume that if it continues to spread it will eventually kill the whole tree. I guess I need to start reading about it . :) Thanks!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »
But you said there is no cure for fireblight, the branch that got black was dead. All the leaves fell off it and it looked bad. so, I assume that if it continues to spread it will eventually kill the whole tree. I guess I need to start reading about it . :) Thanks!

Scholarly articles say you cant fight fire blight, but argifos label says it helps fighting. instead of getting rid of tree you have a fighting chance. once fire blight hits, tree will eventually die.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 07:10:33 PM »
Too bad. I will see what I can do to extend the life of the tree. But it sound like it has a dead sentence. :(

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 11:57:34 PM »
Edward is very susceptible at a young age, even in FL.  I seriously doubt this is the issue, but that grass is awfully dry and brown, are the trees getting much water?  What is the irrigation schedule like?  I don't see any irrigation for these trees in the photos. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce