Author Topic: Dragon Fruit Taste Reports  (Read 10537 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit Taste Reports
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »
From 2014 Pitahaya Festival Postharvest Quality of Pitahaya PowerPoint presentation.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
I see a couple of negative reviews above.  Based on the ones commonly seen at markets here (reddish-pink w/ white flesh), I have to agree that they are not among my favorite fruits -- kind of bland and some have a distinct "vegetal" note.  However I have picked up a half dozen or so select clones and I am hoping that they taste better.  Hopefully I will be a convert once they start bearing.

John

That's how american beauty is for me.  I know it gets good reviews, but is vegetably in its aftertaste to my taste buds.  I have not given up though-I know some of them are excellent. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 03:17:56 PM »
Simon

did you prefer the taste of Lisa over Zamorano? How would you compare the two in terms of sweetness and acidity?
Brad

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 12:55:26 AM »
It's been a long time since I've had Zamorano but from my memory, Zamorano is one of the red fleshed DF varieties that was very bland and not sweet. I cannot recall anything else regarding this variety.

I do like Lisa more than Zamorano but it's been so long for all I know, they could have been found to be the same variety. Lisa lacks a little sweetness but it's still very good, especially if you like a little more tart.

Simon

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 04:23:59 AM »

Is the Vietnamese giant another one then the smaller ones from Vietnam? I saw those last week in a Japanese supermarket and they were sure more then 1 kg = 2lbs.

The "Vietnamese Giant" is a named cloned variety in the U.S.  I do not know the origin or history of this white flesh variety.  I suspect it may have come from a seed from Vietnam.

Edit:  I might add that the UCCE Irvine test field (source for many cuttings in So Cal) got their "Vietnamese Giant" from Florida.

Well here they don't give variety names, only where they are imported from and that's vietnam lately. But they can be huge.

About giving names to fruit, i can understand that Americans like to use names like Thailand, Bangkok or Vietnam. But the name Vietnamese giant is a bit strange to me because i see loads of real imported Vietnamese giants here and they are probably bigger then the Vietnamese giant in the USA.  ;D

Anyway, i 'm not going into discussions about what names are allowed to give to fruit. The fact that Thailand or Bangkok is used a lot sais enough. I never heard of American named variety's but yes for dragonfruit they exist. Tommy Atkins was luckily not named Tommy American  ;) Zills should use american names for his new variety's, that can promote the american fruitindustry.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
In Southern California some Dragon Fruit growers have issues with names like "Physical Graffiti".  Others don't mind.  "Orejona" is a cool name if you know the translation and lets not forget "American Beauty".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:28:09 AM by ricshaw »