Author Topic: Mango cleft graft slipping - please help!  (Read 3491 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango cleft graft slipping - please help!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 11:53:11 AM »
After undoing the tape for about the fourth time, and figuring the graft is pretty much doomed at this point anyway, I decided to use a pin through the graft to hold it in place... Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

What, you didn't dip it in super glue before grafting?

Kidding.

I honestly thought about bringing up super glue.  I’ve heard of it being used in grafting things like Plumaria and desert rose and has been used on other living tissue like closing wounds and attaching corals to rocks. It’s probably not worth while with mangoes but not completely crazy.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 12:29:12 PM »
I think you may be onto something there.
Awhile back in a pinch... I glued a pretty bad cut on my hand with Super Glue trying to avoid a trip to the emergency room for stitches.
Worked great and I would do it again.
Don't see why it wouldn't work on plant tissue... provided the moist environment didn't cause issues.
Try it and let us hear your results.

Kevin Jones

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
Cyanide in superglue didn’t hurt you?

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2020, 03:15:37 PM »
One time, I went over to Brads orchard to graft at night in his hoop house and he offered me a beer before the grafting session. You can probably guess where this is going. I made my sacrifice that night but I wasn’t able to continue grafting after I cut my finger. Moral of the story is to drink your beer after you graft and not before, lol!

Simon

At least you were  anesthetized before beginning the procedure... 
It's good to have some duck tape available to be able to close the wound if wanting to continue grafting. Bandaids always fall off my fingers too easily once oozing blood while wanting to continue grafting.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
Duct tape is a great idea. I’ve also been using a lot of gorilla tape for temporary repairs around the house and yard.

Rob, I believe Sapote mentioned to wait until the mango starts to fruit before grafting because the original poster is in SoCal and grafting young seedlings in our climate with mature scions will likely cause the grafted tree to flower that winter and every winter there after. Flowering in SoCal often encompasses a period of 6 months starting around October or November when our temperatures start getting significantly colder.

Simon

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »
Cyanide in superglue didn’t hurt you?

It’s cyanoacrylate, not cyanide (it has a CN bond but there’s a lot more going on) and not all forms of cyanide are harmful. They put ferrocyanides in table salt.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 06:10:06 PM »

Did you just pull sone BS out of your you know what??  Why on earth would you wait until it fruits to graft it?? One of the dumber statements I have seen.

And please, do not call your preferred grafting technique as a modified version of Walter Zill's.  You do not know Walter and highly doubt you have ever spoken to him or seen him graft in person. That is an insult to him...he has forgotten more than you will ever know.
BS, cut the man a break.
All he was saying, albeit not concisely as he could was don't graft a scion from a mature tree on a mango seedling in California because you will have issues as the scion tries to flower and fruit instead of putting its energy to growth.

And on his grave digger (formally grave/coffin method) let it go.  If it works for him, more mango plants in the world.  Also he is evolving his technique, perhaps one day all newbies will use this technique leaving the purists doing other methods.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »
One time, I went over to Brads orchard to graft at night in his hoop house and he offered me a beer before the grafting session. You can probably guess where this is going. I made my sacrifice that night but I wasn’t able to continue grafting after I cut my finger. Moral of the story is to drink your beer after you graft and not before, lol!

Simon

At least you were  anesthetized before beginning the procedure... 
It's good to have some duck tape available to be able to close the wound if wanting to continue grafting. Bandaids always fall off my fingers too easily once oozing blood while wanting to continue grafting.

Ive used parafilm or buddy tape to stop the flow of blood during grafting. 
Brad Spaugh

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2020, 12:34:36 PM »
Quick update, my "pin through the graft" technique worked!  The graft took, and is about 7 inches long now!

Thanks for the advice in this thread, I used deeper cuts and tape to do a couple other cleft grafts, and all of them are still alive (though only one has pushed).

--Jake

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk