Author Topic: Potted Mango in KS  (Read 1514 times)

kwaters

• Kansas
    • View Profile
Potted Mango in KS
« on: July 17, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »
I have been looking into growing indoor citrus trees and mango. I live in KS so I will need a small tree that can be potted inside during winter. For those of you who dont know KS weather is unpredictable, temerature any given summer day could be 100 or 80. Summer is also fairly humid. I am thinking I will need to supplement light/heat and beyond that I can battle as they come. First most nurseries have a small size and a large size. Am I right in assuming that getting a bigger older tree leaves a larger margin of error with shipping and once home? I was thinking I would get two trees. These are some of the trees that the nurseries have listed as pot friendly. I have so far been interested in-

Cogshall

Fairchild

Glenn

Ice cream

Julie

Mallika

Manilita

Nom Doc Mai

Pickering

Any trees you could rule out would be great. I have heard awsome things about Pickering. My goal is a fruiting tree, and I am new so I dont want a overly sensitive tree. I have never had a mango I hated unless they were awfully sour. I like store bought mangos just fine but I want to grow my own for fun. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Potted Mango in KS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 06:53:16 PM »
While it will most likely be a losing battle, no harm in trying if thats your choice.  I will say citrus will probably be easier.

Forget what websites say about what is goid for pot culture.   If you are going to try it, I would just stick with Pickering.  Not only is it a smaller tree, slower growing but its also precious.   If you want 2, I would just go with 2 Pickering (of the ones you listed, some are in no way able to be kept in a reasonable sized pot and other may or may not cooperate with you and some are of a lesser quality.

As for size, since you wont be able to pick it out and you are having it shipped, I would start with a 3 gal.  Ignore all the crap you read about Gritty Mix and order a quality potting mix like Fafard or ProMix commercial grade mixes (not the homeowner versions that have "mixed in" fertilizer.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:42:48 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »
Pickering and Nam Doc Mai I have heard are the best for pot culture. If you can, you could try grafting a branch of some other varieties onto a Pickering and maybe then you could have variety. If I were choosing by taste, Coconut Cream would be my hands down, but we in colder climates aren't always afforded that choice.

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:47:03 AM »
I've had a Cogshall in Missouri for about 10 years.  It's about 3' tall, barely produces anything, and the stems die back here and there.  Not impressed with Cogshall.

fruitgoonie

• SPRINGFIELD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 11:30:43 AM »
I've had a Cogshall in Missouri for about 10 years.  It's about 3' tall, barely produces anything, and the stems die back here and there.  Not impressed with Cogshall.

Do you have any other mango varieties in containers?  Any tips?  Thanks!!

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 10:20:56 PM »
I would second the vote for a pickering tree. Very dwarf and precocious. Another possibility You might consider is a rosigold mango. It is dwarf and mine has been very productive at 5-6 feet. 25 mangos last year,50 mangos this year on kind of a scraggly tree. Fruit size is on the smaller side, but this may be beneficial in your situation. Not my favorite mango flavor, but I have a lot of friends who really like it. It will definitely beat a store bought mango.

Ice cream and Julie were the other possibilities, but I think they are a little more finicky about soil pH and nutrients and disease issues(At least her in FL.). I basically just mulch my trees as they are in ground.

I would definitely rule out Glenn, Cogshall, NDM, and Mallika. Manilita I am not very familiar with.

Fairchild might be an option, again because of the small fruit size and the tree would be considered semi-dwarf here in FL.

Good luck in your adventure!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk