Author Topic: Black sapote leaf drop/disease  (Read 4204 times)

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
Black sapote leaf drop/disease
« on: December 26, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »
Hi,

Several years ago @Ethan gave me a small black sapote. I live in Missouri. The tree is potted and spends the winters in the greenhouse, summers outside. The tree is now 5-6' in height. It started flowering 2 years ago and has borne fruit. Per usual, the tree came inside the greenhouse this past fall. It has a sunny spot and is evenly watered.

Generally for me this tree holds the leaves through the winter and drops leaves the next spring or summer. In the past week, this tree has demonstrated dramatic leaf drop. The leaves are perfectly green, not yellow or brown. On closer inspection, there appears to me to be some dieback. Some lower branches are completely black, and some smaller secondary branches have also turned black and died.

The roots look OK.  I spray with Neem every couple of weeks in the winter. I hit it with a fungicide today. This is not normal based on my experience with the tree.  Thoughts? 

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 12:54:53 PM by stressbaby »

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
Re: Black sapote leaf drop/disease
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:44:36 PM »
I have noticed the same on one of mine.  I just pruned off the small black branches.  The tree seems to be healthy...

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »
Thanks Saltcayman, I hope you are right.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
Consider spraying or drenching (not both the same week) with Potassium Phosphite (active ingredient of many products): Organocide Plant Doctor, K-Phite, AgPhite, Elemax Foliar Phosphite, Super Foliar Phosphite, etc.

If the tree looks as though you might lose it, consider drenching with Aliette or Flanker, and then not allow any fruit to grow the following season, so as not to harm yourself.
Har

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »
Thanks Har,  I will pick up some Potassium Phosphite to have on hand...  I did not realize this could be a sign of potassium deficiency...

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 12:21:23 PM »
Potassium Phosphite is a fertilizer (Potassium and Phosphorous) that also activates plants' SAR --- systemic acquired resistance.  This is active against bacteria and fungi that get into plants' veins --- phloem and xylem.   In nature plants normally encounter Phosphate;  Phosphite is a slightly different, highly penetrative, unnatural molecule that is perceived as in invasive substance;  therefore, it sets off the plant's "immune response".  Phosphite is eventually metabolized into useable Phosphorous-containing molecules.

Potassium and Calcium and Silicon all increase plant hardiness against weather and pest stresses.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:01:35 AM by Guanabanus »
Har

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
Thanks!  That is really helpful information.  Really appreciate your willingness to share your expertise:)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
Thank you Har for sharing your experience with us.

happy new year
Moh'd

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 09:09:45 AM »
My thanks as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk