Author Topic: How long does it take for trifoliate cutting to produce fruit?  (Read 1894 times)

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
I took two trifoliate suckers from a rootstock grafted with a Meyer lemon scion and rooted them in water. That was 2 or 3 years ago. They are now in 3 gallon pots and are 4 ft tall. When can I expect them to bear fruit?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: How long does it take for trifoliate cutting to produce fruit?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »
They should begin soon. It you had taken cutting from the top of a fruiting tree they would have fruited the following year.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »
I've tried several times to root cuttings from a mature Poncirus trifoliata and had no success. The cuttings stayed green for three years before I gave up. They produced zero new growth and no roots.
Some people claim they have succeeded, but I read one research paper which found that the older the plant the less likely the cuttings were to form roots. They only succeeded in rooting cuttings from young immature plants.
So I'm willing to bet that your rooted cuttings may be 'trifoliate' but are not 'trifoliata'. Much more likely to be a citrumelo rootstock. These do root quite easily from cuttings.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
I have done both & both rooted. Did you use a rooting powder or gel?

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »
I've rooted a few cuttings of trifoliata. They stayed green for a year without any growth then started to push. I believe, it had the first few flowers next year, didn't set any fruit. The following year it had lots of flowers but set only one fruit.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »
I also rooted mature PT, the only easy months to root it are June and July. Out of these chances drop.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 07:18:07 PM »
To get a fruiting tree you can graft a mature scion from the top of a bearing tree and have fruit in a relatively shorter time. I root the tops also when I force new buds.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »
I have located the research paper that I mentioned in my previous post.
It concludes: "Rooting abilities varied among various ages of trifoliate orange trees. Forty-five days after cutting, the current shoots from one- and two-year-old trees had 100% rooting; those from 15- and 25-year-old trees had 0%. From three-year-old to five-year-old trees, the rooting percentage decreased as the age increased"
The full report can be seen at
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251009896_Effects_of_Juvenility_on_the_Rooting_of_Trifoliate_Orange_Poncirus_trifoliata_L_Raf_Stem_Cuttings

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »
I do not disagree with his conclusion. I have rooted cuttings from PT from different age stock with success. I have not collected any data as he did. If his study is to be taken as gospel and applied as a steadfast fact I have a problem with it. I have topworked older PT, rooted the tops that I cut off with success. Use rooting hormone in a propagation box. I learned from doing this that the older PT gets the longer it takes to get a viable root system on a cutting. In his study I would like to know his time table

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
In addition to age of tree and position from which the cutting is taken, seasonality (time of year) is extremely important.