Author Topic: Container Citrus & Rain Water  (Read 1797 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Container Citrus & Rain Water
« on: September 15, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
Many of my citrus trees are  planted directly in the ground, however, I do have some container plants which are  mostly kumquat varieties and pineapples. All of the container plants are watered with rain water, therefore I fertilize them once at 4 to 6 weeks intervals with Calcium Nitrate (CaNO3) to provide them with a source of calcium.  In between I fertilize with a 25-5-15 fertilizer. In citrus trees, calcium is the most abundant mineral, of the 17 minerals required by citrus, of which none exists in rain water. An inadequate calcium supply can reduce plant growth and fruit yield LONG BEFORE deficiency symptoms become evident.  If leaf calcium is less than the optimum level, calcium nitrate may also be applied as a foliar spray.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:52:03 PM by Millet »

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Re: Container Citrus & Rain Water
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 08:12:58 AM »
Millet, I uses a lot of rainwater and add a cup of lime in a 35gl garbage container, water turn almost to a molasses color.
Ph changes to 6.5.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 11:11:38 AM »
Luak , that would work also.  Are the trees turning color yet in Eureka Springs?

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »
No, not yet, a,a,m o f they are still growing, i uppotted a few recently from 5 gl rootmakers to 15 gl containers and doing well. My Xie-Shan fruits are turning color.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:08:50 PM by luak »

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »
Dolomite lime is better than standard lime as it provides a nice blend of calcium to magnesium..........in spring and summer it gets added to my ferts for both inground and containers........ground egg shells provide slow release calcium as well.
millet.......if there are no  minerals in rainwater.....why do plants respond so well to it?....my understanding was rainwater is organic and contains organic particles.....if that is the case.....it would contain nutrients.........everything always looks really green after a good downpour......tap water contains lots of chemicals and to me just keeps cells turgid...........the lawns always look really green after a good downpour......they never look like that from irrigation from reticulation.....generations of gardeners swear by rain water......so something is going on there my friend.
if there are non of the nutrients you say.....then why do plants always respond more favorably to water from the sky than from a tap? ..this answer will be gold !
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:58:11 PM by laidbackdood »

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 06:02:33 PM »
i bought some calcium nitrate in nz once from garden suppliers....they asked me a whole load of questions before they sold me my 20kg bag........apparently they use it to make bombs ! ....its volatile.